[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike on YouTube< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TubularBelle Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 16 2007, 22:38

Quote (EeToN @ Feb. 15 2007, 04:17)
Quote (TubularBelle @ Feb. 15 2007, 02:01)
Does anyone remember these pictures or know where to find them?

I suppose you probably think of the first picture on the site of Hans Claesson's marvellous wallpapers. :)

Yeh thats them, thanks. There was another one I couldn't see in there, but that was two of them.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Quicksilver Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2007, 16:41

Mike talking about water: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXMEdE9cDRI
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2007, 19:37

Quote (Quicksilver @ Mar. 07 2007, 18:41)

Let There Be Water !

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2007, 08:10

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Mar. 07 2007, 19:37)
Quote (Quicksilver @ Mar. 07 2007, 18:41)

Let There Be Water !

hahahahhahahha... this is so funny!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Mar. 09 2007, 09:26

hahahaha  :laugh:
funny.. they should add a funny laugh in the end too

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
DarkFeline Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2007, 09:21

Some video clips of Mike being interevied in Later with Jools Holland:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zcCGmKGahY (Part 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mO5SNs1qWM (Part 2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVYNA_KCxjM (Part 3)

And for informational purposes, I took a bit under an hour to type up a transcript of this 4-minute interview. It can be put on Tubular.net or your own website. I was thinking of Wikipedia. Some parts aren't clear and might contain errors, so please forgive me for that. :)

JH: Well there we are then please now welcome a man that celebrates 25 years of Tubular Bells, Mr Mike Oldfield!

MO: [Quietly] Thank you.

JH: Welcome to say Mike, I got some routine inquiries and let's start of from the first piece you played from Tubular Bells 3, Serpent's Dream. What was the sort of inspiration from that?

Mo: Well you see I'm from the Chinese snake sign, and every seven years I kind of shed my skin and become something different and I always had a thing about snakes and I wanted to do a snakey piece of music and I was living in Ibiza at the time and I was working on my flamenco guitar playing and I always love the way that they clap. Y'know, the I-clap. [Mike claps and Jools Holland clap together] Well it's not exactly like that, it's something that goes "dagh-da-dagh-da-dagh-da".

JH: Think of baby claps right?

MO: I used to go to dinner and I would take my flamenco guitar along and play along, gradually this little tune evolved.

JH: You had a nice time in Ibiza?

MO: [Big sigh] You need a lot of stamina, and um by the end of it my liver begged me please get out of it.

JH: Now let's just go back, I believe you played in a duo with your sister, is that right?

MO: Yeap.

JH: And you played folk club in the 60s and then you were with Kevin Ayers.

MO: That's right I guess.

JH: And we got some footage of Kevin Ayers and you playing with him. Tell us a little about that time before we see the footage. Set the scene for us.

MO: I was 16 years old and I was looking for a job and I was actually a guitarist but the job was for a bass player and I though I can play bass and I got the job was a bass player.

JH: Let talk about that in a moment, let's see Kevin Ayers back in 1972.

[Clip of a young Kevin Ayers singing with a very hairy Mike, audience applauses.]

JH: That was a relatively short clip. Kevin was in the middle of course and you was the one with a beard.

MO: Yes I was the one with the hairy beard and I looked like a hairy old man, yeah.

JH: A beard at 16? Does that mean that...

MO: It's a fake one. I had to stick it on.

JH: Anyways, so then of course Richard Branson, he sort of organised the first record, and it was a huge success wasn't it?

MO: that's right yes. Well they were all getting the Manor House studio together, and that was the beginning of Virgin. they were getting this Manor House Studio together. Imagine this little hairy 16 year old was a pretty drunk by then cause Kevin kept
giving me bottles of wine, turning up at the manor with my demo tape. As fortune would have it they liked my tapes. It took a year before I got to record Tubular Bells, and another year got success it all took a long time.

JH: You did start the show by playing, when did the tubular bells come from? Where did you first find it? Where did you first stumble across it?

MO: Actually I stumbled across in Abbey Road studios, cause when I was with Kevin we used to record in the same studio as the Beatles did and we would sort of do take be there on off days and early and this place would be as big as a studio with covered instruments and one of this instruments was tubular bells and I used to go around from instrument to instrument going "what does this do, what does this do?" I found the bells and like "BONG".

JH: 25 years of --- Tubular Bells, Tubular Bells 3 now, well I hope that we'll have you back here with 4 and 5... and 6.

JH: in the mean time...

MO: Can you play this?

[Plays opening notes of Tubular Bells.]

JH: No, but everyone knows that tune. Everyone knows that tune! Where did that tune come from?

MO: Well it's Bach's Toccata, it's the upside down version of that. See?

[Mike laughs, audience applause]

JH: there you go, never knew that! Now I tell you what. See, you see on this program, you learnt something! And we learnt where that very familiar piece of music came from.

MO: Thank you.

JH: Once again Mr Mike Oldfield!

Edit: Corrected mistake.

--------------
Who's your mummy, where she go?
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2007, 16:41

Actually it was Bach's Toccata :D that Mike played on 'Later' as his inspiration for the TB opening theme. I've got the whole video of his performance in the show... he was clearly very nervous when flamenco-ing his way through Serpent Dream... :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
DarkFeline Offline

Posted: Mar. 31 2007, 00:51

Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 30 2007, 16:41)
Actually it was Bach's Toccata :D that Mike played on 'Later' as his inspiration for the TB opening theme. I've got the whole video of his performance in the show... he was clearly very nervous when flamenco-ing his way through Serpent Dream... :)

Oooh, thank you! I've been scratching my head wondering what that word was.  :p

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
bee Offline

Posted: April 01 2007, 03:41

Thank you Andylkl for putting up that link. I rarely visit youtube, I find it quite an alien place !;) but that was brilliant because I have never seen that interview before.

I loved the performance but what interested me most was the awkwardness between Mike & Jools Holland. Did anyone else notice this or am I reading too much into it? Mike looks a little uneasy in most interviews ( think I would too, it must be an awful experience ) but less so nowadays. But Jools Holland? He's normally very laid back and easy going. I have a lot of time for him, for the way he embraces all forms of music and not least because he is a fantastic musician/performer himself, but in that interview he did not look comfortable. Was it because Mike was not relaxed & transfered this tension or was it, as I suspect, that he was in complete awe of Mike and he fully appreciated he was in the company of a true genius. And that's not something that happens in your everyday life, even if you are meeting many, many wonderful musicians as part of your job. It would be like finding yourself next to, I don't know, Beethoven or Picasso or Einstein, when you are standing in a queue at the supermarket, hypothetically ofcourse!

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 23 2007, 04:43

I think these are nice vids from someone with a helmet-mounted camera. I like the choice of accompanying MO music.

Motorbike Ride - Oxenhope, West Yorkshire (part 1) ("Taurus III" & "Top of the Morning")
Motorbike Ride - Oxenhope, West Yorkshire (part 2) ("Harmonics" & "Peace" from TB2003)
Motorbike Ride - Oxenhope, West Yorkshire (part 3) ("Ommadawn Part 1")

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
DarkFeline Offline

Posted: July 07 2007, 16:17

Though this is not strictly a Mike Oldfield video, but it's a cover of Moonlight Shadow. And THAT is the reason why I want to learn the keyboards!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrKbBADPqZE

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Hifiguru Offline

Posted: July 12 2007, 01:23

Now there is alot less in youtube since my account got perm banned by uploading one clip from Live Earth concert lol

--------------
-TB Limited ultimate edition 2009 (still sealed)
-Hergest Ridge Limited 2010 #017
-Ommadawn Limited 2010 #065
-Incantations Limited 2011 #003
-Platinum Limited 2012 #316
-QE2 Limited 2012 #112
-Opening Ceremony London 2012 #61
-Five Miles Out 2013 Limited LP #116
-Crises 2013 Limited LP #259
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: July 12 2007, 07:09

G'day Hifiguru,

I could well be wrong but it is my understanding that You Tube only
removes copyrighted videos when someone complains about them or reports them and I don't understand why they would ban you.

I have quite a bit of copyrighted background music on my videos but nothing that is full copyrighted stuff.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Hifiguru Offline

Posted: July 12 2007, 14:21

Quote (TubularBelle @ July 12 2007, 07:09)
G'day Hifiguru,

I could well be wrong but it is my understanding that You Tube only
removes copyrighted videos when someone complains about them or reports them and I don't understand why they would ban you.

I have quite a bit of copyrighted background music on my videos but nothing that is full copyrighted stuff.

yes they removed couple times before some of my oldfield videos...if i remember the ones that was from VH1 and MTV channel...but now they removed that Sarah Brightman clip as well and banned also...maybe they ban for certain amount of removed videos?

But anyway it doesnt matter...it was fun until end ;)

Maybe i reupload once there is service that support better quality video playback than youtube...google video is slightly better but not that much that i could upload there.

--------------
-TB Limited ultimate edition 2009 (still sealed)
-Hergest Ridge Limited 2010 #017
-Ommadawn Limited 2010 #065
-Incantations Limited 2011 #003
-Platinum Limited 2012 #316
-QE2 Limited 2012 #112
-Opening Ceremony London 2012 #61
-Five Miles Out 2013 Limited LP #116
-Crises 2013 Limited LP #259
Profile PM 
DarkFeline Offline

Posted: July 14 2007, 03:44

:(

Can you try to appeal the ban and get them to put back the rest of your videos into YouTube? The way I see it, it's a loss for the community. Those were some awesome clips that you uploaded, Hifiguru.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Velodynamic Offline

Posted: July 21 2007, 20:24

Blue Peter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doap3hodYKo

:p

--------------
"...I've never seen a connection between music and politics.
It's like trying to connect football with croquet." -M.O.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2007, 02:14

I just found a nice cover of "To France" (the tune, at least - I suspect they may have been free & easy with the lyrics), except it's apparently a Hungarian version called "Itt megtalalsz". I'm pleasantly surprised at how closely the music follows the original's sound.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2007, 06:27

:D In France , we have one too ; Foreign affair ( Etrange affaire ) sung by Wallis Franken .

Wallis Franken is deceased now ! She was a top model .This French version has got a great success during , the Eighties .

Etrange affaire
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2007, 14:02

That's a nice version. I never knew there were so many covers of MO songs.

This isn't a video and it's not on YouTube, but I wasn't sure where else it should go: Mike Oldfield vs Busta Rhymes (WARNING: possibly offensive language)

--------------
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2007, 15:26

Quote (Sweetpea @ Oct. 16 2007, 08:14)
I just found a nice cover of "To France" (the tune, at least - I suspect they may have been free & easy with the lyrics), except it's apparently a Hungarian version called "Itt megtalalsz"

"Itt megtalálsz" is a cover by the Hungarian pop band Crystal who also want to integrate some Celtic elements into their music. The interesting aspect of this cover that they sent it to Mike and he allegedly said that it's better than the original one (at least, this is what they say on the cover). :) I don't really agree with him then, the base pattern is simplified, to give it a more poppy feel, and the climax part is not that great either, though it's quite well-produced. The lyrics of some verses follow the original texts but the context and the chorus part is quite different, the title means "Here you can find me", and it's nothing about Mary queen.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
108 replies since June 10 2006, 03:35 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net