Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike on Universal Classical Features< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 07 2007, 12:55

Mike Oldfield is a featured artist on the Universal Classics and Jazz website. Mike's page contains a biography, along with notes and artwork from Music of the Spheres.

Thanks, Chris Simmons.
Profile PM 
Airborne Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 07 2007, 14:08

This is the first time I've heard of Mike being moved to tears by his own music. It must have been quite a moment with an orchestra at Abbey Road playing your symphony - realising fully his dream from way back in Kevin Ayers days.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2007, 15:09

It was nice to see that write-up. There was interesting info regarding both the artistic and recording processes. And I had a good laugh over Mike calling himself "the repetitive piano sequence man".  :D

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2007, 17:06

It does sound really promising, I can't wait to hear it. I do wish though that he wouldn't consider the challenge of marketing and promoting an instrumental album played by him in the vein of his early work as 'retrogressive' Why would it be?
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Aug. 07 2007, 17:35

well im so curious as i can be..
i really love the summer, but now i just want the late autumn now!
:D

This seems to be very promsing! But i don't hope this is his last album. I hope this gives him the push to see that fans really loves him. And please Mike! make what YOU want to make!
MAKE MAKE
:p
and we
TAKE TAKE

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
David® Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2007, 18:10

Hello.

I have received a mail of Classic FM and they inform to me that Friday evening 10th August they will again emit the interview with Mike Oldfield and excerpts of Music of the Spheres.

=====================

Dear David.

Many thanks for your email to Classic FM about the new Mike Oldfield album.
I'm happy to let you know that as from this Friday evening 10th August you'll be able to hear his interview on Classic FM again by downloading the Classic Newsnight podcast.

Simply go to: www.classicfm.com/newsnight

Thank you again for getting in touch. Kind regards.
Anne-Marie Minhall.

=====================

Greetings from Spain.
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2007, 18:29

FANTASTIC NEWS !!!! DAVID

... though I'm slightly miffed that my emails to CLASSIC FM never prompted a response like yours did ! ..I was polite !!

Neil

:(  :D
Profile PM 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2007, 18:39

So let's deal with first things first. "I am sure everyone is going to listen and the first thing they'll say is: he's put a bloody tubular bell on it," he chuckles. "But there's a bell in every orchestra, so of course it's got one!"

:D  :D  :D

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2007, 21:52

how can i miss all the incomming news! My trip is just around the corner and i will be gone for 2 weeks! But i hope someone please record the interview  :)  That would be so nice!

thansk for all the news, again :D

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
timshen Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2007, 00:24

"I have felt like that for years," says Oldfield. "There are certain moments when it is really just sounding as good as it possibly could - something bigger than our little civilisation and the whole of creation, something that is holy or almost divine. It doesn't happen very often but when it does, it's worthy of being described as music of the spheres."

Wow! Mike hints here that this forthcoming album's music is worthy to be called "Music of the Spheres", something that doesn't happen very often, and seemingly hasn't happened in Mike's music for some time (not that some of his latest stuff isn't good, but maybe not worthy to be termed MOTS). I'm getting really excited and say "roll on November".  :cool:

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Deadcalm Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2007, 03:35

[QUOTE]"What we recorded in Abbey Road would be almost unrecognisable now[QUOTE*]      Dont quite get that !!! :cool:

Guess it was taken back to "Mission Control" and given a big Makeover  !!
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 08 2007, 08:51

Deadcalm, I didn't get that bit either.

Good article, but it's a shame it doesn't display quite right in Firefox - the text overprints the logos that should be at the bottom of the page (as they are in IE).  And worse still, I couldn't get any of the gallery images to work in either browser.  Not good!

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
AlexS Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2007, 08:57

What a fabulous and exciting interview. The ideas behind the album and it's title make more sense now. If anything I think Mike inspired himself when writing Changeling, looking back at his inspirations and old ways of working, yet always doing things slightly different.

I think this will be the most exciting Oldfield album for a long time.

--------------
http://www.thelightdream.net
http://thelightdreams.bandcamp.com/
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2007, 09:05

Quote (Deadcalm @ Aug. 08 2007, 03:35)
[QUOTE]"What we recorded in Abbey Road would be almost unrecognisable now[QUOTE*]      Dont quite get that !!! :cool:

Guess it was taken back to "Mission Control" and given a big Makeover  !!

Thats probably what Tom Newman alluded to when he said in an interview that Mike does some incredible performances in the studio but by the time he's mixed it for the finished album its almost unrecognisable as the same performance. Tubular Bells II anyone?
Profile PM 
Mix Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2007, 10:58

Quote (Moz @ Aug. 08 2007, 08:51)
Deadcalm, I didn't get that bit either.

Good article, but it's a shame it doesn't display quite right in Firefox - the text overprints the logos that should be at the bottom of the page (as they are in IE).  And worse still, I couldn't get any of the gallery images to work in either browser.  Not good!

I haven't tested the page with Firefox, but I don't think there are any gallery-pictures yet at all. I can't see them with IE7 either. I suppose it will contain a couple of promo-shots closer to the release date, possibly the same (or variations of those) that will be found on the album booklet, too.
Profile PM 
Mix Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2007, 11:07

Quote (Tubularman @ Aug. 07 2007, 21:52)
how can i miss all the incomming news! My trip is just around the corner and i will be gone for 2 weeks! But i hope someone please record the interview  :)  That would be so nice!

It seems to me that you can download the show from next Friday (at least until the following Friday). They will upload the podcast of the show available, and it is downloadable as MP3.

For example, if you wanted to download the Newsnight-program from July 27th, you can do it here:

http://www.classicfm.com/article.asp?id=314035

That particular podcast-mp3 lasts only about 12 minutes, while the show itself lasts half an hour, so they don't include everything in. Judging by the reply David received, luckily, apparently Mike's part will be in it.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2007, 17:11

Quote (Deadcalm @ Aug. 08 2007, 09:35)

@ Deadcalm & Ben: I think that what Mike actually meant is that the sounds originally recorded in Abbey Road have been (or will be) substantially altered by the mixing process - which may either be an utter shame or a piece of great work, only time will tell. :D

About Firefox not displaying the text properly - yes, it does indeed mess the writing up with the logos. But you may just select the writing with the mouse, and there you go. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2007, 19:23

Heh - lots of fun quotes there -

At the same time, he countered his serious side with a series of novelty hit singles including 'Don Alfonso', 'In Dulci Jubilo', 'Portsmouth', 'Moonlight Shadow' and a re-recording of the 'Blue Peter' theme tune featuring his trademark searing electric guitar.

So, Moonlight Shadow is a Novelty Hit?

But seriously folks, it's looking good with all this publicity

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2007, 20:22

It's a pity it doesn't yet mention any possibilities of a live tour or at least one concert.

But overall, I liked the article.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2007, 22:46

Nice article and quotes from Mike about MOTS,but it worries me a bit since they seem to forget Mike's musical relationship with David Bedford,which seems to me apropriate for a classical audience.

I'm sure that Mike is not going to be like Sting,Paul McCartney and Tony Banks when they decided to go classical,I do trust that he has done a fantastic job on MOTS,and he's not going to be another rocker trying to be classical like the others I've mentioned did in the past.

...meanwhile,waiting for the promo pics...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
36 replies since Aug. 07 2007, 12:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net