[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike on Universal Classical Features< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 08 2007, 23:20

Quote (Mix @ Aug. 09 2007, 00:58)
I haven't tested the page with Firefox, but I don't think there are any gallery-pictures yet at all. I can't see them with IE7 either. I suppose it will contain a couple of promo-shots closer to the release date, possibly the same (or variations of those) that will be found on the album booklet, too.

That's odd, because the original post says this:

"Mike's page contains a biography, along with notes and artwork from Music of the Spheres."

I don't see any MOTS artwork! (apart from the cover image in another topic in this forum)

and thanks Ugo  :cool:

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
Deadcalm Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Aug. 09 2007, 06:06

As usual with Mike Oldfield, the result is hard to pigeonhole. It's 'classical' with moments that recall Sibelius and Holst, but it's not a symphony, and other parts are more reminiscent of Steve Reich and Philip Glass. It's a departure, but it contains familiar elements, most notably Mike's trademark classical guitar stylings. At other times, particularly in its striking choral passages, it has more in common with Karl's own repertoire.
            So I guess theres a few demos out there right now as it appears the interviewer had heard the Cd to make those comments..  :cool:
Profile PM 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 09 2007, 07:49

Quote (olracUK @ Aug. 08 2007, 19:23)
Heh - lots of fun quotes there -

At the same time, he countered his serious side with a series of novelty hit singles including 'Don Alfonso', 'In Dulci Jubilo', 'Portsmouth', 'Moonlight Shadow' and a re-recording of the 'Blue Peter' theme tune featuring his trademark searing electric guitar.

So, Moonlight Shadow is a Novelty Hit?

But seriously folks, it's looking good with all this publicity

I find their classification of Incantations as "New Age" music a bit hard to swallow, too - but then Mike's New-Age credentials have always been debated on these forums!

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Aug. 09 2007, 07:57

Quote (ImAFoolAndImLaughing @ Aug. 09 2007, 12:49)
I find their classification of Incantations as "New Age" music a bit hard to swallow, too - but then Mike's New-Age credentials have always been debated on these forums!

Me, I liked the simple "Avant-Garde" for Amarok...

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Elf Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2007, 14:38

What I wonder is, if he was moved to tears by the music, why does he then mix it so that the musicians won't recognise it later? That's what he says in the interview.

I am looking forward to this album, and I'm one of those who didn't bother to buy L&S, but I fear I will be disappointed again, as I have been continuously since after TSODE. However, I don't think you people should have have high hopes for huge sales. It won't sell, no matter how much we will love it.
Profile PM 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2007, 17:35

Quote (Elf @ Aug. 09 2007, 14:38)
if he was moved to tears by the music, why does he then mix it so that the musicians won't recognise it later?

Perhaps, in a reversal of his earlier "experiment", he's going to mix it so that all the instruments sound like guitars... ;)

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
Mix Offline

Posted: Aug. 09 2007, 18:21

First time in three months, Karl Jenkins' website was updated earlier today. Only a one-sentence mention about his collaboration with Mike, nothing more.

I also checked his concert listing, but apparently nothing organised (at least with him) for MOTS so far - although his concerts are listed up to year 2207 (check it out yourself if you don't believe me  :cool: )
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2007, 02:59

Quote (Mix @ Aug. 10 2007, 00:21)
I also checked his concert listing, but apparently nothing organised (at least with him) for MOTS so far - although his concerts are listed up to year 2207 (check it out yourself if you don't believe me  :cool: )

:D Really! Where can I buy a ticket?
Profile PM 
Velodynamic Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2007, 14:14

Quote (Mix @ Aug. 08 2007, 17:07)
Quote (Tubularman @ Aug. 07 2007, 21:52)
how can i miss all the incomming news! My trip is just around the corner and i will be gone for 2 weeks! But i hope someone please record the interview  :)  That would be so nice!

It seems to me that you can download the show from next Friday (at least until the following Friday). They will upload the podcast of the show available, and it is downloadable as MP3.

For example, if you wanted to download the Newsnight-program from July 27th, you can do it here:

http://www.classicfm.com/article.asp?id=314035

That particular podcast-mp3 lasts only about 12 minutes, while the show itself lasts half an hour, so they don't include everything in. Judging by the reply David received, luckily, apparently Mike's part will be in it.

The interview with a short excerpt is about 4 minutes long.  ;)
If this is what the whole album will sound like I'm going to have a nice sleep to it in the november darkness. :D
But I don't want to believe so.

--------------
"...I've never seen a connection between music and politics.
It's like trying to connect football with croquet." -M.O.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2007, 14:57

I appreciate the info regarding the ClassicFM podcast. I just listened to it. The interview was brief but it was nice to hear Mike's enthusiasm for this work. It made me smile when he admitted he could probably keep playing around with the music indefinitely if someone didn't set a deadline for him. And the short snippet at the end was lovely - it's whet my appetite for the whole album.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2007, 15:49

The piece of music at the end, although short, is amazing.
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2007, 16:04

Phew, its not about Halloween. I am interested now as its more about the planets  :D

The bit I heard on the podcast did sound very like Tubular Bells....here we go again....or perhaps not. I will reserve comment until I have heard it all as one piece.
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2007, 18:37

Quote (ian @ Aug. 10 2007, 18:04)
Phew, its not about Halloween. I am interested now as its more about the planets  :D

Mike loves astronomy,so it's a natural theme for him to write something about it,musically speaking.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2007, 02:55

You see! I thought there was some similar reference to Holst' Planets!!! With the cover and all...  :D  ;)

Good point about David Bedford, Tati! He is being left a bit in the  cold...

But I'm REALLY looking forward to the album, like all of you :)

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2007, 18:35

I shall not listen to a single note before release but I could not resist reading this article, and I was not disappointed.

At long last a really insightful and (maybe more importantly warm)piece about Mike. These people at Classics & Jazz are on his side, and they seem to be recognising things about his work that we've all known & loved for years. They seem genuine too, not using hollow, promotional words.

For me, the last sentences say it all...

"Spirituality definitely influences my music.....The most important thing is to make music that reflects we are part of the natural world but we have the ability to see another side of existence, the spiritual side, and the elegance of nature"

Quite simply he just 'understands'. And I love this bit, the elegance of nature, just perfect, that!

This could very well spark a whole new interest in all of his music from 73 on. It's what we have all been waiting for.

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Mix Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2007, 16:02

Quote (Holger @ Aug. 10 2007, 02:59)
Quote (Mix @ Aug. 10 2007, 00:21)

:D Really! Where can I buy a ticket?

I guess you can buy one at your nearest cryogenic lab. Just remember to order the waking call while at it  :D
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 18 2007, 01:12

Quote (bee @ Aug. 16 2007, 18:35)
I shall not listen to a single note before release

*cheers* Good for you, bee. I, however, am weak-willed... bring on the spoilers!

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
36 replies since Aug. 07 2007, 12:55 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net