Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike on the Johnnie Walker show< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Harmono Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 14 2009, 18:33

"Are you posing at the marina?" Is that what that Walker guy asked him, if so, what does that mean? Was it a joke or what?

It just sounded disrespectful to me. Please tell me I don't know what posing means or that I have no sense of humour.

I was just wondering why they played that gory version of TB at the end.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 14 2009, 20:07

I`m pretty sure Johnnie Walker is or at least used to be a fan of Mike`s work.He`s certainly interviewed him a few times now.The guy goes back a long way,and is from the same kind of "respected" group of dj`s such as John Peel etc,who Mike mentions in the interview.They also share a fondness for motor cycles,and if you`ll forgive me generalising a kind of hippy/new age idealisim.I would hazard a guess their paths would have crossed (interviews aside) many times before.Mike does kind of greet him as an old acquaitance if you like at the start of the interview.And yeah "posing at the marina" is kind of a friendly insult,but then people tend to do that a lot over here especialy to "break the ice".He does the same kind of thing at the end of the interview with the "life is hard" comment,you know it`s just easier than saying goodbye I guess.I mean to me it sounded like quite an easy going relaxed interview,but then I`m very familiar with Johnnie Walker`s style.For people not so familiar with him I can maybe see how his comments could be seen as mis-calculated or mis-construed a little.

As regards to the version of TB he played,I must admit he`s had me scurrying round the web trying to find out what it was.In all honesty (and for whatever reason I don`t know),but I`m quite sure Johnnie was being intentionaly mischevious there.I`d be very surprised if Mr Walker did`nt know what it was.Maybe it was a rare oddity from the BBC archives,or something???..I noticed on the TB wikipedia page it already gives mention that Johnny played an "odd version" of it after the interview.It`s quite a mystery indeed.

Oh yeah and on the TB wikipedia page I noticed this great cover used for the Tubular Bells promo single sent out to radio stations below.Look out for it on ebay I guess...

Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 14 2009, 21:35

Quote (bee @ June 14 2009, 21:19)
Is it because they cannot afford what the record company would charge to play the proper one ? ( I thought the BBC belonged to it's listeners - or so they keep telling us - in which case we'd like some authenticity please.

No, it would cost the same regardless of who performed it.

My guess would be that somebody just picked the wrong one - it'll just be coming off a server rather than someone actually putting a CD in a player, so my guess would be that someone who didn't know any better lined up the wrong version (there's a dodgy cover version that's been doing the rounds on iTunes which is just labelled as "Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells" - my guess is that something like that found its way onto the server without being relabelled).

I'd suggest writing in to tell them your feelings - they'll never realise their mistake if nobody tells them.
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 03:36

I must have completely misunderstood the interview.

Did Mike not say he was releasing another version of Tubular Bells this year?

Is not what we heard 'Tubular Bells 2009'?

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: June 15 2009, 03:54

Really nice interview - hope Mike and family enjoy disney  :D

But what were they thinking with that naff cover of TB? How on earth did that happen? After questioning in the interview about the new release and how it has been mixed it was such an obvious choice to have a section of the new mix finishing the show. Completely unprofessional to get it wrong like that. Where's my E-mail.....  :(

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
neildmanthorpe Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 05:11

Quote (Harmono @ June 14 2009, 23:33)
"Are you posing at the marina?" Is that what that Walker guy asked him, if so, what does that mean? Was it a joke or what?

Johnny Walker is, as others have said, one of the last survivors on mainstream radio in the UK of the pirate generation - so might have played TB when it first came out.

So I think a "take no bulls**t" approach to those he interviews is quite in order.  Who do we think Mike Oldfield is not to get his leg pulled by someone like Johnny Walker?

Get a sense of humour people - if the new boxed set is anything to go by, we will need it as we wait for more rehashed product from Mercury with a hope of a few morsals of new or rare material.

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese .........
Profile PM 
pipetune Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 05:43

I see disc 5 of the ultimate edition has:
Disc: 5  
1. Tubular Bells Long  
2. Caveman Lead-In  
3. Caveman  
4. Peace Demo A  
5. Peace Demo B  
6. Tubular Bells Part One  

Maybe something to do with it? :/
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 06:17

Surely if nobody recognises this version of TB it has to be on the 2009 cd set.

It didn't sound naff to me.

I must be a cloth eared nincompoop.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 06:44

Quote (Korgscrew @ June 15 2009, 03:35)
Quote (bee @ June 14 2009, 21:19)
Is it because they cannot afford what the record company would charge to play the proper one ? ( I thought the BBC belonged to it's listeners - or so they keep telling us - in which case we'd like some authenticity please.

No, it would cost the same regardless of who performed it.

My guess would be that somebody just picked the wrong one - it'll just be coming off a server rather than someone actually putting a CD in a player, so my guess would be that someone who didn't know any better lined up the wrong version (there's a dodgy cover version that's been doing the rounds on iTunes which is just labelled as "Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells" - my guess is that something like that found its way onto the server without being relabelled).

I'd suggest writing in to tell them your feelings - they'll never realise their mistake if nobody tells them.

That's what I've been thinking too... somebody chose the wrong version. But then again, Johnnie Walker surely should know how the real version sounds. He also interviewed Mike back in 2003 with the TB2003 version.

I immediately sended an e-mail after HuanCry gave the email address, so I hope they will read it.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 06:55

Quote (Dirk Star @ June 15 2009, 02:07)
Mike does kind of greet him as an old acquaitance if you like at the start of the interview.And yeah "posing at the marina" is kind of a friendly insult,but then people tend to do that a lot over here especialy to "break the ice".He does the same kind of thing at the end of the interview with the "life is hard" comment,you know it`s just easier than saying goodbye I guess.

Ok, I see. Those would have propably been my thoughts exactly, if not for that improper music.

And of course similar friendly insults are not uncommon here either.    :)
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 07:21

Quote (Harmono @ June 14 2009, 18:33)

It just sounded disrespectful to me. Please tell me I don't know what posing means or that I have no sense of humour.

I was just wondering why they played that gory version of TB at the end.

"Are you posing on the marina?" -

... definately a way of pulling Mike's leg - like a grounding technique that friends and family use all the time to keep our feet firmly on the ground, if there's any chance we might think we're more grand. Keeps the relationship equal and also break the ice. It's a loving thing to do as opposed to disrespectful -I think here.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: June 15 2009, 14:27

on the version played at the end of the interview the intro voice or MC did'nt sound at all like Viv.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 16 2009, 02:55

Quote (The Big BellEnd @ June 15 2009, 19:27)
on the version played at the end of the interview the intro voice or MC did'nt sound at all like Viv.

Sounded like some kind of European accent there to me as well?..(yeah that narrows it down a bit Dirk..Brilliant)!
Profile PM 
leesonar Offline

Posted: June 16 2009, 11:28

Nacho it is the crown records cover version, i just played it and the announcer sounds identical on this version.  :/
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: June 16 2009, 13:15

Shameful indeed.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: June 16 2009, 14:30

Quote (Nacho @ June 14 2009, 18:28)
Wasn't it the 9 min.version Mike did for the Nicky Campbell show years ago in the BBC?

I check it, and no, it isn't!!  :(

Speaking of the Nicky Campbell show where Mike performed that Tubular Bells part 1 (in a sort of synthesized version, I believe it was in 1989): does anybody has the complete recording?? I did have it but I lost it somehow; I only have the part where Mike plays the Tubular Bells but not the interview.

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: June 16 2009, 15:16

Good interview, Mike seems happy and relaxed, pity he didn't ask Mike what he has coming up next musically.
Profile PM 
Wayfarer Offline

Posted: June 17 2009, 11:42

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ June 14 2009, 17:24)

For the people who haven't heard it or they want to keep it, here's the interview in 256 kbps MP3 format:

Mike Oldfield interview - BBC Radio 2 - Johnnie Walker (14.06.09)

First of all, many thanks to Blue Dolphin for posting the mp3 with the interview.

And now, a request: could maybe someone transcript the interview for us, poor cloth eared nincompoops non-english-native speakers? Many thanks in advance.

Regards from Spain,

-- Wayfarer

--------------
My homepage - www.thewayfarer.info
My search - www.cannotbefound.com
My community - www.taurusiv.net
My luthier - www.artluthier.com
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: June 18 2009, 06:26

Look what I received! A reply from Nastasha of the Johnnie Walker show:

Hello Menno

Thank you very much for contacting us about the show on Sunday.  I'm
sorry that we played the wrong version of Tubular Bells.  Please accept
our apologies.  Johnnie will mention this and play the correct version
in next week's show.

Kind regards

Let's listen to it next week and see if Johnnie indeed corrects this!  :D

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
SimonUK Offline

Posted: June 18 2009, 06:52

Yeah, I got exactly the same reply!

--------------
"I want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live"
(Josh Homme, from Queens Of The Stone Age - 'Go With The Flow').
Profile PM 
41 replies since June 14 2009, 07:03 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net