Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike on Stuart Maconie's Freak Zone< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 31 2013, 17:06

An interview with Mike will be broadcast on BBC Radio 6 this Sunday November 3rd, as part of Stuart Maconie's Freak Zone show.

They say Mike will be talking about "how Tubular Bells affected his life, his attitude towards the music industry and his new album Man On The Rocks", and it'll include a short excerpt from the new album.

The show is from 20:00 until 22:00 GMT and can be listened to online in the UK via the BBC's iPlayer service.
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 01 2013, 22:14

Thanks, Korgscrew.  I hadn't any idea that this was on the cards until I saw this, despite the fact that I saw one of Stuart's related tweets.

Stuart Maconie ‏@StuartMaconie  23 Oct  
Working on a Freakier Zone based around Mike Oldfield's collaborations and influences. Gong, Riley, Glass, Bedford, Pohjola. Lovely...

At a guess, that'll be for the week after; early Sunday, November 10.

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Nov. 03 2013, 17:18

Missed? So here it goes >>> MO @ Freak Zone !

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
stpaul Offline

Posted: Nov. 04 2013, 03:13

Nice interview and 30 seconds of Sailing. Not my cup of tea at all. Sounds like average pop-rock...
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Nov. 04 2013, 05:42

I like it but don't judge the album by this particular song since it seems most of the other tracks are a lot darker ..... 'miserable but powerful' Mike has stated. :)
Profile PM 
Bell Boy Offline

Posted: Nov. 04 2013, 08:40

I found it a little sad really...especially the touring bit.
Especially, as at the level Mike could perform, it wouldn't really be a hard ship.
A couple of performances of Tub Bells, especially at the moment, could be done at large venues.
It wouldn't be travelling 3rd class, or in a transit van.

Still its his call.
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Nov. 04 2013, 15:07

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Nov. 03 2013, 17:18)
Missed? So here it goes >>>

Thanks!
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Nov. 04 2013, 15:21

:p Hm Sailing sounds truly awful. (Ducks)
Profile PM 
ingresman Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2013, 15:18

Heavens open again!

Next weeks  show (10 Nov) is Mike as a producer and contributor.
Sounds good
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Nov. 05 2013, 16:46

Different show though ... Stuart Maconie said the 'Freakier Zone' on Saturday.
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Nov. 06 2013, 15:57

Quote (First_Excursion @ Nov. 04 2013, 21:21)
:p Hm Sailing sounds truly awful. (Ducks)

Don't really think so!

:/
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Nov. 06 2013, 20:11

I know it's only 30 seconds - but to my ears I hear a reworked Moonlight Shadow -acoustic guitar riff, heavy drums.
This is NOT "rock" - this is 1980's AOR.

Having said that - this is 30 seconds of an album - we may yet be surprised.

Luke surely has a great voice, and so did Maggie - hopefully Luke will prove to be longer lived in the limelight than Maggie.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: Nov. 07 2013, 07:37

My worry is that if all the tracks are so generic, Mike will be in danger of the initials of his new release standing for something rather less flattering... Middle of the Road.

But I'm reasonably confident there will be at least a couple of gems to add to my 162-track Best of MO I-tunes playlist ... there always are.
Profile PM WEB 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Nov. 09 2013, 06:57

There are so many songs, many of Mike's included, that I only love because I've got used to hearing them.  The style of this excerpt is probably one such for me, yet chances are that the only time my neighbours hear it will be through our walls.  In the UK, Caroline and Universal will be doing very well if they manage to get the lead single, whether that be Sailing or not, onto rotation at Radio 2; will it stand out enough if potential buyers only hear it once during an interview or ( cash in your Virgin miles, Mike! ) an appearance?

Meanwhile, I enjoyed the interview and the accompanying on-screen information that is the joy of digital radio.  It doesn't record from my TV, and 6Music doesn't have an official automatic Twitter service but a few unofficial accounts provide that service, generating tweets based on the 'Now playing' information.  I was intrigued by what I saw during the show so I copied and pasted one of them last Sunday, before it vanished into the distance.  You can see it officially, as it turned out, at  the programmes's webpage but this (edited for some of the extraneous text) is exactly the track information that we saw.

Now Playing 6Music ‏@WhatsOn6Music  12m  
Mike Oldfield – In Dulci Junilo (Live From The Olympic Opening Ceremony)

Now Playing 6Music ‏@WhatsOn6Music  13m  
Mike Oldfield – Tubular Bells {Part One Excerpt} (Live From The Olympic Opening Ceremony)

Now Playing 6Music ‏@WhatsOn6Music  15m  
Mike Oldfield – Sailing

Now Playing 6Music ‏@WhatsOn6Music  17m  
Mike Oldfield – Hergest Ridge (Part One)

Now Playing 6Music ‏@WhatsOn6Music  18m  
The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra & Mike Oldfield – Tubular Bells (Part One) (Live)

Now Playing 6Music ‏@WhatsOn6Music  21m  
Mike Oldfield – Tubular Bells (Part One)

I may have thought that the TB live excerpt was from one of the versions I've not heard yet, but in switching a myriad of discs in and out this week, it sounds like the QE2 European Adventure one.  My Isles of Wonder CD is missing so I couldn't verify if that does feature [Live...] bracketed information, and presumably there was an abandoned plan to play In Dulci Junilo, however that may sound!

{edited after another case of premature posting, 12:09, GMT}

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: Nov. 10 2013, 04:38

This is todays Stuart Maconie's Freak Zone:

BBC 6 Player

It' a very good documentary of Mike's collaborations.
Can anybody help me with the piano version of North Star ? This is not the version of Philip Glass (as used in the documentary film from 1977)
I don't understand what Maconie says and I wonder if this version is played by Mike.
Profile PM 
Ivan Plac Offline

Posted: Nov. 12 2013, 09:50

Please, transcribe interview for foreign fans!
Profile PM WEB 
Priabonia Offline

Posted: Nov. 12 2013, 13:03

Just listening to the "Collaborations" edition of Stuart Maconie's Freak Zone. It's a while since I've heard Mike on Kevin Ayer's "Whatever...". Clearly the genesis of the "quiet bit" before the Hornpipe of Side Two of Tubular Bells! Even the same guitar tone!

--------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/PriaboniaMusic

www.soundcloud.com/just-before-dawn
Profile PM 
Priabonia Offline

Posted: Nov. 12 2013, 13:06

Quote (stpaul @ Nov. 10 2013, 09:38)
Can anybody help me with the piano version of North Star ? This is not the version of Philip Glass (as used in the documentary film from 1977)
I don't understand what Maconie says and I wonder if this version is played by Mike.

No, I don't recognise it either, it's definitely not the version I have (which I think was mainly organ). It sounds a bit like a cross between the original and the Platinum version...so much so I had to get my guitar out and play the solo over the top!

--------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/PriaboniaMusic

www.soundcloud.com/just-before-dawn
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: Nov. 12 2013, 16:00

Quote (Priabonia @ Nov. 12 2013, 13:06)
Quote (stpaul @ Nov. 10 2013, 09:38)

No, I don't recognise it either, it's definitely not the version I have (which I think was mainly organ). It sounds a bit like a cross between the original and the Platinum version...so much so I had to get my guitar out and play the solo over the top!

I found out it's not an Oldfield piano version. It's a version by Philip Glass called North Star (in circles).
Profile PM 
18 replies since Oct. 31 2013, 17:06 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net