Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike on BBC Radio2 - Original Tubular Bells demo< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 30 2002, 07:57

Mike Oldfield was on [http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/walker/]Johnnie Walker show[/URL] on Radio 2 on Jul 31. He interacted with online people in the chatroom for about 15 minutes, and then on the programme. Mike said he has found the original Tubular Bells demo tape, that it sounds great, and that it will be released on CD next year or available for download on the web. Screenshots of the chat at Oldfield.de. Real Audio.
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 30 2002, 09:45

Is it actually Johnnie Walker who'll be hosting the show? According to BBC Radio 2, Mr Walker is having a break this week (of course, it may refer to some past week and not have been updated). What makes this radio appearance more interesting (from a 'conspiracy' point of view) is that taking Mr Walker's place during his break is none other than...Stuart Maconie- who of course featured Tubular Bells on his Critical List show a while back, and did a whole programme on Tubular Bells for 'Seven More Days That Rocked The World'. Hmm...

Addition: I'm very scared that I know all this: I don't listen to Radio 2, being in Australia, and don't even listen to it on the Internet. And yet I seem to know the basic idea of schedule and so on...oh dear...
Profile PM WEB 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: July 30 2002, 16:18

Cool, I'll be able to record that interview :)

Hmm, now just what to ask Mike exactly...

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: July 31 2002, 08:22

It´s confirmed on the Johnnie Walker site now...there´s a link to the chatroom too and you see a small Mike´s pix! :p

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: July 31 2002, 10:24

Hmm...having just worked out time difference, I've realised that 17.45 is after midnight here in Western Australia, and as I have school in the morning I'm not going to stay up. If anyone does (try and) join the chatroom, remember me- fast asleep, without Tres Lunas or even an Australian release date... ;)
Profile PM WEB 
Tr3s Lunas Offline

Posted: July 31 2002, 10:25

Damm I can´t enter due to that Java virtual machine...  :/

Anyone knows how can I enter in the chatroom???

thanks!

--------------
http://starmen.net/petition
...do it for the kids!!!
Profile PM WEB 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: July 31 2002, 13:58

OK it's all over now. Mike joined the chat for about 15 minutes, and was interviewed on BBC Radio 2 for about 15 minutes afterwards.

Mike asked for suggestions as to who should be the new Master of Ceromonies, ideas for Tubular World (which would be a virtual reality project to go with Tubular Bells 30th anniversary).

And more importantly...

MIKE HAS FOUND THE ORIGINAL TUBULAR BELLS DEMO TAPE - THE VERSION WITH THE HOOVER! AND HE SAYS IT SOUNDS GREAT AND THAT HE WILL EITHER RELEASE IT ON CD NEXT YEAR OR PUT IT UP FOR DOWNLOAD ON HIS WEBSITE!!!

He answered several questions, and the whole transcript of the chat will be posted on bbc.co.uk (I'm sure the exact link will be on tubular net soon). And Mike answered one of my questions - what instruments has Mike learned to play recently? Northumbrian Bagpipes!

Sadly he didn't answer me as to what his future ambitions were, whether he would consider a full length orchestral album, or if he plans a third album to make Ommadawn and Amarok into a trilogy. But he answered some other great questions and I'm sure we all got a buzz as Mike answered us! Yay! And I think he realises now that his fans still love him as much as ever, judging from the messages left for him  ;)

Oliver

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: July 31 2002, 14:18

More importantly his parrot is dead! What a shame, poor parrot.
Profile PM 

Posted: July 31 2002, 14:24

Quote (TOBY @ July 31 2002, 15:18)
More importantly his parrot is dead! What a shame, poor parrot.

...and now he wants an Amazon parrot!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: July 31 2002, 14:40

The chat was nice,but Mike had tons of questions to answer...he answered about 10...wanted some chat time...
BTW,any transcript of the radio interview yet?
I´m curious to see,since I couldn´t hear the show live!

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: July 31 2002, 14:58

It was a reletively short interview (they played 'To Be Free' as an example from from the album. Nice one chaps?) nothing very new was said and Stuart Maconie was pretty sympathetic to the cause, he's a known fan and respected music journalist. Back to the chat room- I thought Mike's hangover cure was a bit impractical. I don't own a horse.
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 31 2002, 15:30

Johan just sent me Mike's answers:

David > Do you still fly radio control aircraft?
Mike > Yes, I'm building a radio control model Helicopter at the moment

Toby > Mike, what's a good hangover cure?
Mike > A good hangover cure is go riding on the Welsh hillsides - slowly!!
Toby > On a horse?
Mike > Yep, a horse

Steve > If you were starting your career again today... do you reckon you'd "make it" with the way the music industry is in the UK?
Mike > No way I'd make it now - I'd have to learn to dance for a start

Johan > For every new release, I know the expectations among the fans are very high. And I guess the companies wants you to do another best-seller. Do you feel you are under a lot of pressure?
Mike > They can all go and get stuffed :)

Meddler > Looking back over the last 30 years (and excluding Tr3s Lunas), which album gives you most pleasure now? And why?
Mike > The Millennium Bell - because of the concert in Berlin

Frank > Will you ever perform live with Jean Michel Jarre?
Mike > Yea, why not - my French isn't too bad :)

Ciondolo > Who can tell me when tres lunas will be released in Italy?
Mike > It has been released in Italy as far as I know - it was in the charts

David > Can we look forward to a UK tour in the near future?
Mike > Maybe a London concert in May

Sandra > What's your favourite animal?
Mike > My new horse Misty

Ollie > Mike - learnt how to play any new instruments recently?
Mike > The nourthumbrian Bagpipes

Toby > Have you still got your parrot?
Mike > The parrot died. I'm looking for a new one
Toby > Get an African Grey they're good talkers
Mike > I'm thinking of an Amazon Parrot

Frank > How many instruments do you play now, Mike?
Mike > I'm playing my teeth now

Jerome > Are you sometimes serious?
Mike > Only when I'm drunk :)

Frank > How was your cup of tea?
Mike > It's BBC coffee - is very strong

Joe > In the late 80's there were rumours of you perhaps working with Michael Jackson, any truth to them?
Mike > Yes, Michael Jackson called me but I scared him, because I was rude to him

Johan > Were you actually photographed at the beach on the cover-picture of Incantations. Or is the picture of you just put on top?
Mike > I was really there on the beach in Minorca

Giuseppe > What can I do to meet you?
Mike > Meet me as an avatar in MusicVR

Andrew > Mike, is it true you sold your Ibizan villa to Noel Gallagher when you moved to Formentera?
Mike > Yes, but I think he has sold it again

Chris > Mike, what music inspires you these days, are you still into folk?
Mike > I don't like music I like peace and quiet

Brian > What was it like chatting to Arthur C Clarke?
Mike > It was a real honour - he's a brilliant table tennis player

Joe > Do you still play squash Mike?
Mike > I play squash every tuesday

Nick > Which football team do you support?
Mike > I support Reading, where I was born

David > What's the truth about the three notes track in Tr3s Lunas? Is there really a three note only track on this album?
Mike > Yes it's called Misty

Obi > Mike, apart from playing squash, how do you stay in shape?
Mike > Swimming everyday, lots of spicy food and draft Guiness

Tati > What's it like showing off MVR to fans everyday online?
Mike > The avatar meetings are fantastic but I get too many people and my machine crashes

Chris > Mike, I am composing on PC with cubasis, what do you use?
Mike > I use notator logic

John > What's this Avatar thing?
Mike > Look at Music VR which comes with Tres Lunas

Misty > In question that telepatic game, when released?
Mike > I'd like your ideas on that please

*Mike plays a little game and asks: "what am I holding in my hand now?"*
Nobody guessed right so Mike said "it was headphones"

Tati > Why you decided to put these communities section on mikeoldfield.com? It's very interesting and make us to think about your life.
Mike > Just wanted something for lonnies to give their ideas. I'm one as well by the way

Brandon > What other musicians would you like to work with in the future?
Mike > Lots but they are all dead

Joe > So who would you have worked with, given the chance?
Mike > Mozart

Nick > Would you work with Mozart if he were alive today?
Mike > Don't know about working, but we would certainly get drunk together :)

David > Have you had a chance to hear the fan-mixed versions of your music which are available online? Especially Tres Lunas mixes
Mike > I haven't heard them. Are they any good?

Toby > Who could drink who under the table then?
Mike > I think Mozart would win :)

Adam > Will the first recording of TB you showed all the record companies ever see the light of day?
Mike > I just discovered the original demos - I'm thinking of putting them out next year

Mike > Sorry guy I have to go now. Thank you for all your questions, sorry I couldn't answer them all. Keep listening to Radio 2, I'm on the air next :)
Profile PM 
oldfield_fan Offline

Posted: July 31 2002, 16:53

Thanks Olivier for forwarding the chat answers :-)

/ Johan
Profile PM 
zinc Offline

Posted: July 31 2002, 17:15

i was in the car tonight but still managed to miss the 15 min interview with mike on the radio. Has anyone managed to tape it or download it for the rest of us to listen to?

Thanks

Zinc- the world is made of zinc
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired
Unregistered

Posted: July 31 2002, 17:33

i was in the middle of listening to is when my computer frose and missed the last part of it. i tried recording what i was listening to but it was an unrecognised format and wouldnt let me
alexander.schweigert Offline

Posted: July 31 2002, 17:45

Hi ,
I have screenshots of the BBC Chat on
http://www.oldfield.de/chatscreenshots.htm
But, Attention: This is a 1,3 MB full of .jpegs site..

Greetings from Alex
www.oldfield.de

--------------
www.oldfield.de
Profile PM WEB 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: July 31 2002, 19:03

The show's presenter said that Mike really enjoyed the chat, and it was certainly very popular with fans - 110 people (at least) joined in. Mike was certainly very funny and I hope he considers this form of fan forum for communication in the future - he seemed greatly receptive of fans ideas and his interest in the fan mixes of his music hint at the possibility of greater collaboration between Mike and his fans in the future. Very exciting stuff! And although Mike suggested that the demo could be up for download from his website, I think it would be much better if it were pressed as a limited edition CD and given away with initial copies of the Tubular Bells re-recording. It would make a hugely significant occasion that *extra little bit* more special. I can't wait ;)

Oliver

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
oblique Offline

Posted: July 31 2002, 23:03

Must say I disagree with you, Oliver...

IMHO the original TB tapes are best put on the net, if not for sale in an ordinary way. And thus widely available to all fans.

I do not like the idea of having to find out how to purchase a limited edition.

The To Be Free single isn't rare, yet nowhere to be found!
(and now with the second single, a second problem rising)

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 31 2002, 23:35

i like the idea of it coming free with the tubular bells re-recording...at least we're guaranteed to get a reasonably good quality version of it (being on a cd). but i also think it should be online for free for everybody to get. maybe he should do both.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Jerome C Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2002, 05:30

Hi people,

I was there also, trying to put my questions out, and when I realise he would answer more easily to silly questions, I put :

Jerome > Are you sometimes serious?
Mike > Only when I'm drunk :)

:/ well at least I had one question answered...

I tried to ask for a good support with [the great] MVR and if he planed to work with a true game editing company for next episode if any (so we have proper support), but of course the question went down the toilets... ;)

Nice moment anyway, being of course virtually "in front of The Master", but also many cool and well known fan whom names I'd been reading on mailing lists and forums for so long : Rob, Joe, David(s), Olivier, Hans, and many others. :)

I hope he liked the experience and wants to try it again. One good not-answered question was "will you put a chat room on mikeolfield.com and come from time to time".

Ha-ha-happy :D
Jérôme C

--------------
Jerome C
(long time out of here, but always having MO in mind somewhere)
Profile PM 
27 replies since July 30 2002, 07:57 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net