Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike on BBC Radio 2 and BBC Radio Newcastle< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 13 2006, 14:34

Toby,never saw on a prog rock webbie anything related to Keane yet,even on international ones.I'm quite impressed with that.

To Blue Dolphin,do you remember the list of tracks Mike had chosen in the 80's?

And,could anyone record the extracts from the show that Mike appears?

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
ian Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2006, 16:15

Talking of prog rock, my wife's uncle Jeff (Jode Leigh) was the drummer in this prog rock band in the 70's. http://www.gardenshedmusic.com/ Anyone heard of them ? They have a massive following in USA and Japan and are up there with Genesis and Yes. There is a prog rock book published in Japan and it has featured an interview with Jeff, the drummer. They have been asked to reform and do some gigs but sadly Jeff suffered a hemorrhage 6 years ago which affeted his corodination. This is so sad as he is so talented. Jeff remembers lending a Minimoog to Keith Emmerson and never got it back. Jeff also remembers being in a studio using Mike's old wooden monitors (circa Blue Peter). I don't think Mike was there but he remembers it. He's worked with quite a few artists over the years. Sorry, getting side tracked  ;)
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2006, 18:00

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Mar. 13 2006, 20:34)
To Blue Dolphin,do you remember the list of tracks Mike had chosen in the 80's?

Hi Tati

It's from a show called "My Top 12" from 1983. Mike chose the following:

1. The Skids - Masquerade
2. The Zombies - She's not there
3. The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper (A day in the life)
4. The Shadows - The Rise and fall of Flingel Blunt (hey, same one here! )
5. Royal Scotts band - Amazing Grace
6. The Police - Can't stand losing you
7. Spirit - The family that plays together
8. Steve Miller Band - Song of our Ancestors (from Sailor)
9. Peter Gabriel - Games Without Frontiers (he loves the lyrics! me too by the way :) )
10. Pink Floyd - Astronomy Domine (from Ummagumma)
11. Billy Holliday - Stormy Holiday
12. Free - Allright now

Well, one song is the same: The Shadows of course. But as Mike pointed out in this interview it is the big influence from his childhood.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2006, 03:57

It's cool he Likes Keane!  Keane's trademark if you like is that they do not use guitars!!!
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2006, 06:47

Monday
13 March  You Really Got Me - The Kinks.Great Track
It's A Heartache - Bonnie Tyler.Ok,but it is Bonnie

Tuesday
14 March  Somewhere Only We Know - Keane.Great Track
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds - The Beatles.Classic

Wednesday
15 March  Mad World - Gary Jules.Crap!!
The Rise & Fall Of Flingel Blunt - The Shadows.Hank Marvin,respect.

Thursday
16 March  A Fairytale Of New York - The Pogues & Kirsty MacColl.Good song.
Bird On A Wire - Leonard Cohen.Never heard it.

Friday
17 March  The Wind Cries Mary - Jimi Hendrix.Classic track.
Moonlight Shadow - Mike Oldfield & Maggie Reilly.Classic track.

Some great choises by Mike there, i'm glad he choose the Keane track, i adore that song, there best i feel, and it's funny Mike saying he bumped into the Keane lead singer at Lords cricket ground, and the Keane man saying he liked Mikes music.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2006, 08:42

Quote (TOBY @ Mar. 13 2006, 18:25)
ps Personally I'd prefer to listen to Fairy-tale of New York than, say, any Bonnie Tyler song.

pps Is Mike's frame of musical reference SO narrow that he has to pick one of his own songs, he's missing the point of the whole exercise. People take it as read that an artist actually likes they're own music.

Bob Geldof chose a Boomtown Rats song on his "Tracks of My Years" selection, I take it he's missing the point too.

I'm not a fan of Bonnie Tyler   :O , but I do find "It's A Heartache" quite listenable,maybe it takes me back to happy days of bouncing around on my Spacehopper.   just been listening again as I sort of heard Mike's pick at work yesterday, (isn't this internet thing good).

TOBY   Posted on Mar. 13 2006, 19:08You'd better believe it baby! Prog rock in general is back, its becoming a bit cool to say you actually quite like early Genesis or early Yes.

TOBY   Posted on Mar. 13 2006, 19:27

With David Gilmour back in the charts and on the front cover of every music magazine at the moment, what more evidence does anybody need.
So hurry up with the album Mike, you don't want to miss the boat.

It's great to see the return of prog rock  :D,  this new album from David Gilmour, Mike releasing the Platinum Collection, all these appearances on the radio. Mike writing his autobiography, and returning to his '70's long instrumental pieces ;).  Not that I would put Mike's  music into such restrictive categories like "Prog". I did read Mike descibed as "Oldfield Progressive" which  puts him into a unique class of his own.

WELCOME BACK MIKE        :D

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2006, 13:21

Toby,never saw on a prog rock webbie anything related to Keane yet,even on international ones.I'm quite impressed with that.

I think I remember reading an interview with the lead singer of Keane where he said that he used to listen to his Dads old Genesis albums.

British comedian David Badiel is a huge prog rock fan (he's also a big Mike fan, turned up at the launch party for TSODE) and he has said he thinks Keane are the new Genesis, its an idea that has since appeared in the UK music press.

I do think its slightly missing the point for Geldof and Mike to pick their own music simply because the whole idea is presumably to find out which music outside of their own has influenced them over their career. Obviously their own music is important to them above all else. Put it this way, its way more interesting to find out Mike likes Keane than it is to find out he like's Moonlight Shadow
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2006, 13:37

If David Gilmour's new album is prog rock and considering it is 2006, where is it progressing from or to.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2006, 13:42

David Gilmour's album is not prog, end of!!.
I don't see any problem with Mike choosing Moonlight Shadow, it's a classic song, who ever made it, it still would be a classic song, i get annoyed when artists continuely slate there own material, at least when Mike slated the original TB, he went back and made a version he does like, which i feel is fair enough.How can these artists expect fans to buy there records if they don't like them themselves?.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2006, 14:56

David Gilmour's album is not prog, end of!!.

Very true but David Gilmour is the leader of the biggest prog rock band in existence. My point was more along the lines of prog being in the collective concience of the general public at the moment and On an Island's success will have something to do with this, and will in turn fuel the fire, so to speak (I hope so anyway)
Profile PM 
Jools Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2006, 15:38

It's interesting that Pink Floyd are so often regarded as "the biggest prog rock band". Although they have produced the dreaded "concept" album on several occasions and written long pieces (really just over-long songs) I've never really thought of them as being that progressive, although their early psychedelic material could be said to be rather ground-breaking in its time (pretty tiresome and dull to me I have to say). Much of their music is really rather simple in form, structure and musical content and they aren't certainly aren't dazzling musicians. I quite like the Floyd but really, albums like DSotM, WYWH and the Wall are just collections of rather good but simple songs. They obviously have "high production values" but to me, they don't to me possess many of the qualities that make prog (at its best) so enjoyable. As for Mike, he is certainly progressive in the best sense of the word - progressive intrumental works for me if we must have a label but I don't think we should.
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2006, 16:00

if mr gilmour's album is'nt p r o g, what is it then.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2006, 16:20

I think that for the majority of people Pink Floyd personify prog rock.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2006, 17:15

Funny thing that Mike says, if he had to choose one track from Sgt. Pepper's, it had to be "Lucy in the sky with Diamonds". While in the 80's (see above) he chose "A day in the Life".

I don't understand why many people don't like Bonnie Tyler's "It's a heardache". I heard and saw the videoclip of it 1,5 years ago and I immediately loved the song.

And with Keane... well, first I liked it, but now I've heard it so many times that I think it's quite boring. But some songs on their album are nice though. Just my 2 cents

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2006, 03:31

I am a huge Pink Floyd fan, but i don't really think of them as prog either, to me they are as unique as Mike Oldfield, the tracks "A Saucerful of Secrets","Atom Heart Mother","Interstella Overdrive" are prog in my opionion, but i would say Genisis are more prog, but whatever, it does'nt really matter anyway.Pink Floyd are a genuine 1 off, like Mike :D

Like everyone, are likes and dislikes of music change with time, so i would guess that is why Mike likes "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" now.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2006, 07:06

Once I read that Mike went to see Pink Floyd on their early days and enjoyed their gig...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2006, 07:19

Well having seen how most peopleon this discussion forum change their minds about their favourite songs from one artist, I think it is eay to underestimate the difficulty one has in selecting one'stop ten songs - of course there are current state of mind issues involved - so week by week choices would change.  Ask Mike next week what his top 10 songs are  - but you £100 thy would be different - not 100% but different.

You could even look at the titles and see if he has spent time putting a secret code by choosing the fisrt letters of each song or each artists. (damn .. I know some one is now going to look and find something ... Tubularman!!!!;)  But you know what i mean.

He just came up with a list at the time - I'm sure he likes other music too, but when you spend alot of your time creating music you generally listen either absentmindedly (you know... whilst driving) or you listen to get ideas, or to analyse how it's been put together, again for learning, for ideas or to try and play it because it sounds like it will be fun to do so.

Am I on the right lines....?   Cheers  Ray   :cool:

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2006, 08:58

You asked for it Ray  :cool:

The letters that start each title are: YISLMTABTM

The best matches for anagrams are:

My Lamb Tits
Blast Timmy

Wow! Wat's Mike trying to tell us?  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2006, 10:29

:D   :D   :D http://tubular.net/forums/non-cgi/Skin/SKIN-3/PostIcons/icon11.gif
http://tubular.net/forums/non-cgi/Skin/SKIN-3/PostIcons/icon11.gif

OK - That is brilliant.  And I thought Tubularman would be the bofin who would work that one out.  That did make me laugh!!!

Fits wi the wee fela wi tha kilt?  yr nae fae scootland rr yee.

Excellent Mr Tim'o'shen'ta

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
El Bosnia Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2006, 11:08

Quote (Quicksilver @ Mar. 10 2006, 12:09)
Here you can download the Julia Hankin's Show interview:

http://s56.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0545QFHV74FAO3FZKH383JFIT0

Outstanding Quicksilver!! Thanks!
I already downloaded :D

--------------
"Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering"
"Anger, fear, aggression. The dark side are they. Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny"
Profile PM 
69 replies since Feb. 28 2006, 21:35 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net