Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike on BBC Radio 2 and BBC Radio Newcastle< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
David Mar Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 09 2006, 05:59

Mile Oldfield will be on the programme at 1345, though I hope to have it available to listen again at your leisure on bbc.co.uk/tyne by the end of Friday
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2006, 08:59

well that was a rather short interview. Great to hear Mike said that he is trying to find his roots in the 70s back though. :)

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Quicksilver Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2006, 12:09

Here you can download the Julia Hankin's Show interview:

http://s56.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0545QFHV74FAO3FZKH383JFIT0
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2006, 13:10

Many thanks for making this available, Quicksilver.

Did I miss it, or was there no mention of the Platinum Collection?
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Mar. 10 2006, 14:18

thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i dont have the net in this time, so i was not there!
:D thanks

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Mar. 10 2006, 17:04

hmmm he did not sound to be in a tour mood.
But if hes not going to have 200 guitars in the album, then it will be possible.
I think this was the answer to why not have amarok tour.

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2006, 17:44

It seem's a shame that mike think's he has no material that he could go on tour with. What about his massive back catalogue of stunning album's?

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2006, 17:56

Hmm.... there is the argument that he could re-arrange his music, probably quite interestingly, so it could be played by a handful of musicians. For example there is no reason why he couldn't have done a rearrangement of any section of Amarok so it could have been performed live. Mike does seem to have this notion in his head that every live performance has to sound boringly like the studio version (stand up TB2 live at Edinburgh Castle) All of Mike's best live performances I've heard are the one's that have played around with the original arrangments and added something new.

It's interesting that he also thinks along the lines of album sales (when talking about his 80's stuff, and 90's for that matter) rather than what he could have achieved artistically by sticking to a longer progressive style of music. In other words he ended up with a bigger bank balance but perhaps now he would have had a truly amazing output of great music during the 80's instead of tracks like Mistake, Shine and the sugar soaked pop of Discovery and Islands. Imagine a decades worth of music like The Lake and Crises?
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2006, 04:44

I think Discovery was ok, some nice tunes on that album. I personaly think after that the songs got more ropey.

Now Mike is no longer under pressure to make hit albums/singles it should be interesting to see what he will come up with now he has got a few things out of his system. I really am looking forward to his autobiography!
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2006, 11:27

Mike's list on Tracks of My Years on Ken Bruce's Show this week:

Monday 13 March  
You Really Got Me The Kinks
It's A Heartache Bonnie Tyler

Tuesday 14 March  
Somewhere Only We Know Keane
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds The Beatles

Wednesday 15 March  
Mad World Gary Jules
The Rise & Fall Of Flingel Blunt The Shadows

Thursday 16 March  
A Fairytale Of New York The Pogues & Kirsty MacColl
Bird On A Wire Leonard Cohen

Friday 17 March  
The Wind Cries Mary Jimi Hendrix
Moonlight Shadow Mike Oldfield & Maggie Reilly

Some comments on the list:

-The Shadows was expected to me,since Mike likes'em.
-As always,there has to be on MO track on it - in this case,it was classic MS.
-Loved Mike's choice on Keane \o/

Before the 2 tracks of the day,there's a small interview,generally about 11:45 am,and you can listen to them recorded on the listen again section(look up the final 20 min of the show).

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2006, 12:05

it's funny to see how some songs that I like, Mike likes too, but some songs I think are just dreadful. I'm saying this because y'know, he makes music we like so I automatically think I like the music he likes.

You still follow?

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2006, 12:58

Many thanks to Quicksilver for making the Julia Hankin Show interview available to us, I would definitely have missed it otherwise. Good to hear as always but please let this man speak!! I don't mean stop interrupting him, but give him more time. This is where the autobiography will be good. Give him a chance to say what he wants rather than have time ticking away. Radio is good but it's quite transient and swift. I liked the fact the interviewer was female, this made a difference I think.

And tracks of my years sooo good. Lots of my favourites there too, The Kinks...Yay!!! But the Pogues, oh dear...oh dear oh dear...oh dear oh dear!!!!! I am speechless, I despise that song. ( love Kirsty McColl's voice though in other songs) Can't wait to hear why he's chosen that one!! Thanks Tati for finding it all out & letting us know in advance!

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2006, 13:25

Nice to see (or hear) that he likes Keane (the new Genesis so they say) Good to see that his liking for Keane is obviously greater than his liking of Schiller, and I know who I'd like to see him do a duet with.

ps Personally I'd prefer to listen to Fairy-tale of New York than, say, any Bonnie Tyler song.

pps Is Mike's frame of musical reference SO narrow that he has to pick one of his own songs, he's missing the point of the whole exercise. People take it as read that an artist actually likes they're own music.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2006, 13:38

funny thing is they are completely different from the other times Mike was on the radio and picked his favourite songs, like on the radio in the 80's, Peter Gabriel etc. Or did the radio people tell him it had to be "listenable"?  :/

--------------

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2006, 13:55

Quote (TOBY @ Mar. 13 2006, 13:25)
Nice to see (or hear) that he likes Keane (the new Genesis so they say)

Is Genesis actually back somehow, then?

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2006, 14:08

You'd better believe it baby! Prog rock in general is back, its becoming a bit cool to say you actually quite like early Genesis or early Yes. It may even become cool to say you like Mike, that is a soon as Mike gets his head round the fact that NOBODY listens to 90's Euro trance or Cafe Del Mar CD's anymore (because they ain't cool), and releases some COOL 70's style progressive music.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2006, 14:16

Quote (TOBY @ Mar. 13 2006, 14:08)
You'd better believe it baby! Prog rock in general is back

I read an article in a major magazine recently that said this. Then it went into detail, and said that the new prog was based on a foundation of punk (as the old prog was based on classical). This did not sound like it would be very good. Then I heard Mars Volta (touted as a new prog band), which I found completely unlistenable. Are they all that bad?

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 13 2006, 14:17

Quote (TOBY @ Mar. 13 2006, 15:25)
Nice to see (or hear) that he likes Keane (the new Genesis so they say) Good to see that his liking for Keane is obviously greater than his liking of Schiller, and I know who I'd like to see him do a duet with.

Keane as the new Genesis,sounds strange to me,but I do like them a lot.My personal fav from them,Bedshaped,is a bit progressive,IMO.Love the instrumentation.

I was happy to know that they caught Mike's attention...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Mar. 13 2006, 14:20

Quote (hiawatha @ Mar. 13 2006, 16:16)
I read an article in a major magazine recently that said this. Then it went into detail, and said that the new prog was based on a foundation of punk (as the old prog was based on classical). This did not sound like it would be very good. Then I heard Mars Volta (touted as a new prog band), which I found completely unlistenable. Are they all that bad?

Mars Volta reminds me of a punked version of King Crimson.

Quote (TOBY @ Mar. 13 2006, 14:08)
pps Is Mike's frame of musical reference SO narrow that he has to pick one of his own songs, he's missing the point of the whole exercise. People take it as read that an artist actually likes they're own music.

When Mike did choose his fav 10 albums in 2003,Tubular Bells was there,I see his choice on Moonlight Shadow in 2 ways:

1.A bit of egocentrism.

2.Besides Tubular Bells,he had to remind people he also had a radio hit.

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2006, 14:27

Mars Volta are pretty hard core, I don't like them either particularly. You want to check out Elbow, superb UK act, they're prog and proud of it. Keane are the same, they've name checked Genesis, as have Elbow infact. Elbow's lead singer has borrowed a lot of Peter Gabriel's singing style. The Beta Band, who have since split up, were pretty proggy (and friends of mine so they're getting a plug here, I know their influences). Radiohead (obviously) although Radiohead were a bit too shouty about distancing themselves from prog rock by saying they weren't prog.

With David Gilmour back in the charts and on the front cover of every music magazine at the moment, what more evidence does anybody need.
So hurry up with the album Mike, you don't want to miss the boat.
Profile PM 
69 replies since Feb. 28 2006, 21:35 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net