Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike on BBC 4's 'When Albums Ruled the World'< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 01 2013, 20:16

Mike will be featuring in the BBC 4 TV programme When Albums Ruled the World. The documentary explores what the makers consider to be the heyday of the album, from the mid 1960s to the late 1970s.

It'll be broadcast in the UK on Friday February 8th at 21:00.
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 03 2013, 01:16

I've just reacted to a TV spot and here's a clip from one of the associated programmes.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p014kgsc
I was initially just looking to see if the studio design of Danny Baker's Wall of Sound was there with bells on, but this was a nice little surprise.  Not sure if that's was there just as a prop for Jeremy Clarkson to use, but high time a wider audience is reminded how brilliant this particular album is. :)

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Feb. 03 2013, 02:50

Surely Jeremy (with his force of personality) will easily show the world why Ommadawn is THE ALBUM TO RULE THEM ALL !!!! ... AND NOT JUST ROCK !

:)

I thought he was a fan of Mike and now proved ... Can't wait to watch this show !
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Feb. 03 2013, 07:55

Damn ... Just read in Mail on Sunday newspaper Live magazine Jeremy chooses Supertramps' Crime of the Century as his favourite ! ..... I assume he still talks about Ommadawn as one of his favourites .... Or am I getting my hopes up too much ? .... and reading too much into Jeremy holding up the Ommadawn LP :(

I thought Supertramp was a pop group though so maybe they mistook the pop episode for the rock episode (if Jeremy is on both) ?   :)

Damn Damn ... different cast for pop .... so Jeremy only on the rock episode  :(
Profile PM 

Posted: Feb. 03 2013, 12:53

I tried a few combinations in searching Google.  It might have been brought in by someone else...

http://books.google.co.uk/books?i....f=false

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Feb. 03 2013, 14:04

Good research Cavalier !!

Happy again !!

My luv (platonically speaking) for Danny Baker is  increasing all the time ! esp. after his dissing of punk on the tv programme Room 101 not long back !

:)  :D

And he's got the 'gift of the gab' like Clarkson.
Profile PM 
kazav Offline

Posted: Feb. 03 2013, 14:19

Have always had a soft spot for Jezza but he's gone right up in my estimation now, even if he was just holding the thing as a prop.

--------------
The purpose of education is to replace an empty mind with an open one.
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2013, 17:51

ABSOLUTELY NO MENTION OF MIKE ON TONIGHTS PROGRAMME !!!! .... Just the Ommadawn cover being shown !

:(

So much for Danny Baker's autobiography ..... He chose 3 albums excluding Ommadawn !

I should know by now never to get my hopes up re. Mike on TV or mentioned on TV !
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2013, 17:28

Oh shite i missed it. Did anyone record it? :)
Profile PM 

Posted: Feb. 08 2013, 17:59

Relax!  If you had the ability to watch it on BBC4, there are three more repeats this week, starting with 0200 tomorrow morning and 2245 in the evening (Saturday 9th, GMT).  Watch out for Mike and Richard 57 minutes in.

Sorry, Huancry and others, for the disappointment with the Danny Baker show.  I didn't have BBC4 myself that night - but I saw Twitter wasn't exactly exploding with Ommadawn references during it... :/   Now I've seen them, I probably enjoyed the discussion programmes more than the style of the documentary just on, but nice to see Mike in the sun!

--------------
"Who was that?"
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2013, 18:07

If you are overseas and can't find a way to watch BBCiPlayer (apparantly there are websites that act as proxies, but I wouldn't know anything about that) - Mike is seen for a whole 3 minutes around the hour mark.

Don't know how long the TV crew filmed him, or who paid for Caroline to fly out and do her PA thing - but does seem like we (Mike's Fans) didn't really get our money's worth.

There must be more film in "the can" somewhere - but how to get it?

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
bevy Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2013, 20:47

Can someone rip/DL and upload this to Youtube please :)

Cheers
Bevy
Profile PM 

Posted: Feb. 09 2013, 04:01

Still three repeats to go if you include the HD channel.  But someone has obliged...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joe7-gy1Tls

--------------
"Who was that?"
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2013, 04:47

It was a good programme, I thought...giving a bit of perspective to the whole LP Album thing...

It was soooo good to hear Richard Branson acknowledge the 'enormous difference' Tubular Bells made to starting his record company...I know he has in his tv ads in the last couple of years (also good to see), but somehow this meant more.  It did form a major part of the foundation of his Empire.

But I still keep thinking what an important piece of music it is, all that commercial stuff aside. As Mike said, the audience loved the live performance...it must have been truly astonishing to hear what was a totally groundbreaking sound, arranged & played live by such a young man in that time.  If anyone was there & remembers it, I'd love to know what they thought.

The other fascinating thing about LP's is what Tony Parsons said at the end...he summed their magic up by by quoting Ray Davis of the Kinks...something about when you look into a man's record collection, it can make you feel like weeping, because it is like looking into his soul.  (it would be more difficult to shove him off his computer and peruse his MP3's!...maybe you'd see into his interface)  He also likened owning albums to being an ordinary man's art collection that only now, as the LP's slip into history, do we see their real beauty and power. This is so true.  And of books too of course, but the idea you could share the listening by playing an LP, and that indefinable and mystical quality that music has, takes it to another level entirely.  Words can always be debated, but music just 'is'.

And as much as I like Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here, they are still not a patch on Tubular Bells. Great Albums undoubtedly, thousands of people love them and I do listen to them, but there's a pretentiousness there.  Can't believe I just said that, who do I think I am, but I do feel it! I'm an Oldfield fan through and through. For me, there is no comparison.

Great to see Mike again too, windy old day that was when they did the interview, but probably a tad warmer there than the wind we have had this week in England!!

Was strange they put the photo of Simon Groom next to Mike in his studio, when he was recording Blue Peter wasn't it? Perhaps that was the only one they could find nearest to that time - quite a few years had gone by though...and a few albums! :)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
ingresman Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2013, 14:48

I don't think Richard Branson has ever denied the impact TB had on his empire.
I would also like to see the other footage of Mike, but I thought 3 mins was a lot. It would be nice to see a making of style documentary to get immersed in like the one for WYWH
Profile PM 

Posted: Feb. 09 2013, 16:21

The protests against a whole theme night would be upsetting to read, but I'm willing to risk it!

I thought about posting more earlier but I'm still a little surprised to be the first to mention the major continuity error.  The clear implication from the documentary was that the 2nd House performance was from the same time as the Queen Elizabeth Hall/Bentley exchange.  Now I examine the caption closer, somebody got the impression that the Orchestral Tubular Bells performance at the Royal Albert Hall in 1974 was an even busier night!

--------------
"Who was that?"
Profile PM 
15 replies since Feb. 01 2013, 20:16 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net