Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (8) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike Oldfield's guitars for sale< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TOBY Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 16 2006, 16:31

So the BIG question everybody here wants an answer to is - when you plug the guitar into an amp do you sound like Mike?  :cool:

Do the Oldfield vibes flow out?
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2006, 19:03

Quote (sallyangie @ Feb. 16 2006, 20:24)
Quote (Ray @ Feb. 16 2006, 10:44)
Ok- I think the comment about being kept here in the UK was really a feeling that people are glad they (The guitars) didnt go to Dealers in the US where every thing ends up these days and who would be apreciating them for their financial gain rather than what they are.  Wouldnt you agree Sallyangie??

Apologies to all the European fans out there. I did indeed only mean that in my humble opinion Mike's guitars should be kept by his fans,  rather than go to dealers generally, who only think of them in terms of monetary value.I think we all understand that these guitars are of immense sentimental and historic value to everyone who appreciates Mike's music. Although it's only the lucky few who get to actually own them, in truth they belong to all of us who love him, and who feel that his music has affected our lives, and helped us through the good times and the bad.  
On the provenance of the guitars: I have spoken to Chandlers, and they have confirmed that the Gibson SG Les Paul Junior I have, was used on Ommadawn, and that Mike is happy to confirm this.
Peace & Love x

Congratulations to Ray and Sallyangie also man in the rain :D,  I'm so pleased that the new owners of Mike's guitars are  fans, who will love, treasure and appreciate them, and not sold to people only interested in how much profit can be made from selling them.

Re  the Gibsynth guitar, as so I understand it  Mike's original  SG was stolen from The Beacon sometime during the recording of Ommadawn, so Mike then purchased two more SG's, one being what was to become the Gibsynth was used to complete Ommadawn.  My theory is that this SG was later modified into the Gibsynth, seeing as guitar synths were still in their infancy in the '80's  ;) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 16 2006, 20:32

I've posted photos of Ray's Gibson Les Paul Junior 1957 in the instruments section, along with sallyangie's PRS Custom 24 and Gibson SG Gibsynth. Thanks, Ray and sallyangie!
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2006, 20:51

Sallyangie:

Is your guitar the one he plays in the live recording of Ommadawn?

(I have the video for you if you don't have it).

Edit: it certainly looks like that one. THat guitar had quite a job to do during that performance.  Don't be sad if it is not in mint condition, all damage is done by Mike Oldfield himself getting the excellent sounds out of it. :)

in general I think this is a really cool guitar, and this is the real one Mike Oldfield plays on Ommadawn, and in that video. Wow  :cool:.

If you would ever claim this guitar is not suitable for fast plectrum work, you're a big liar  ;)
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2006, 21:51

Quote (Olivier @ Feb. 16 2006, 23:32)
I've posted photos of Ray's Gibson Les Paul Junior 1957 in the instruments section, along with sallyangie's PRS Custom 24 and Gibson SG Gibsynth. Thanks, Ray and sallyangie!

The link for the Gibson with gibsynth is broken!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Olivier Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2006, 22:23

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Feb. 16 2006, 21:51)
Quote (Olivier @ Feb. 16 2006, 23:32)

The link for the Gibson with gibsynth is broken!

Fixed...
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Feb. 17 2006, 04:58

:/  Hi ! ....Don't be so negative or unhappy ! With or without his fantastics guitars , he stay for always our Mike Oldfield and he also can do nice things  !!!

I have found something into the web ( Thanks to the new Yahoo videos search !!!;)

You can see it hereA gift for all the Mike's fans
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Feb. 17 2006, 17:37

Hi there!  (sorry for my english)
I have just received the Gibson Les Paul jr SG 1961 of Mike.
It is in excellent condition. Could anybody give me some informations about it, for example, when did he use it, which album?
Thank you very much

Regards

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: Feb. 17 2006, 17:42

New photos added thanks to sallyangie!
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2006, 05:39

Quote (TOBY @ Feb. 16 2006, 16:31)
So the BIG question everybody here wants an answer to is - when you plug the guitar into an amp do you sound like Mike?  :cool:

Do the Oldfield vibes flow out?

The guitar does!!!! - the playing doesnt!!  I wonder whather it would be interesting to record a riff and post it - would that be allowed???

Then you can judge for yourselves.

Ray

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2006, 15:08

Appologies for the Avtar - I just couldnt resist it.

R    javascript:emoticon(':cool:';)
smilie

--------------
Profile PM 
nushky Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2006, 15:34

Of course, any *testimony* that these guitars are still alive and playing are welcome.
and I suppose you can put a link on the 'cover tracks' forum.

This whole thing made me buy a L6-S Deluxe yesterday (by an odd coincidence I stumbled on an ad last week).... This is my first Gibson, and although weary by the years it has a fantastic tone ...
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Feb. 20 2006, 15:40

Good one.  I'll see if me and Logic can make some small riffs.  And if they are respoectable i'll post them.  Yes I think I said some thing like - I've been trying for yeards to get that tone - then I found out it was the guitar that gives the tone not the effect!!  Hope you enjoy your new toy.

And remember what the travelling wilburys said "Keep It In A Cool Dry Place!"    

javascript:emoticon(':p';)
smilie   Ray

--------------
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Feb. 23 2006, 05:43

Is anyone of the honoured gentlemen here that bought a guitar off Mike willing to share their serial numbers and I´d be glad to help out with more details especially on the Gibsons.
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2006, 07:37

Quote (manintherain @ Feb. 23 2006, 05:43)
Is anyone of the honoured gentlemen here that bought a guitar off Mike willing to share their serial numbers and I´d be glad to help out with more details especially on the Gibsons.

hi (sorry for my english, I speak french)

Thank you manintherain!

I bought a Mike's guitar. It is the Gibson Les Paul jr SG 1961 with number 77138. Could you tell me if Mike had several Gibson 1961? The seller told me that it was used on Ommadawn! Is it true? If you have a couple of informations about it....it would be great!

Thank you

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Feb. 27 2006, 13:58

Quote (manintherain @ Feb. 23 2006, 10:43)

7 2031.  I already chatted to Gibson about it but anymore ifno will be nice.  I is still the nices sounding guitar I have, and that include a Custom22 and a hollowbody!!  DFidnt know Mr O had one of these until recently - good taste obviously!  Cheers  Ray

But beware some of the Honoured Gentlement are Ladies!!!  If you want those serial number you better start grovelling!

--------------
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Feb. 27 2006, 16:54

For completions sake, I bought a Ramirez 2CWE off Chandlers.  I was jolly quick off the mark and this guitar (along with a Washburn played on the Discovery tour) was never listed by Chandlers on the website.  My guitar was used on the 1999 TBIII tour, so not exactly a historical item, but still a lovely guitar from one of my all time heroes.  I bought it to play it as I don't have a classical guitar at all, just some electrics.  I have pictures of the Ramirez and washburn if anyones interested.  Yes my guitar is my Avatar as well.
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Feb. 27 2006, 17:17

Quote (captainjjb @ Feb. 27 2006, 21:54)
For completions sake, I bought a Ramirez 2CWE off Chandlers.  I was jolly quick off the mark and this guitar (along with a Washburn played on the Discovery tour) was never listed by Chandlers on the website.  My guitar was used on the 1999 TBIII tour, so not exactly a historical item, but still a lovely guitar from one of my all time heroes.  I bought it to play it as I don't have a classical guitar at all, just some electrics.  I have pictures of the Ramirez and washburn if anyones interested.  Yes my guitar is my Avatar as well.

just for completeness hey..... Well good for you - what a nice guitar that is - you guys are really lucky  - I would have been in deep doodoo if I had found out earlier abouth all the guitars that where for sale - I think I would have had to buy them all.   ;)  ;)  :D

Although "the one" is still up for grabs but after the interview last week I think Richard Branson will have to buy it to save face or Mr O will never let him for get he was the reason for Virgin airlines existing!!! Yaaa Hooo Go for it Mike.

Ray

And as for it being a historical item - of course it is - at least to alot of people.

--------------
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Feb. 27 2006, 18:13

Quote (Ray @ Feb. 27 2006, 22:17)
Although "the one" is still up for grabs but after the interview last week I think Richard Branson will have to buy it to save face or Mr O will never let him for get he was the reason for Virgin airlines existing!!! Yaaa Hooo Go for it Mike.

Ray

And as for it being a historical item - of course it is - at least to alot of people.

I can't help thinking what a sad thing if the Telecaster that effectively launched Mr B's Virgin empire were to be locked in a case in the departure lounge at Heathrow Airport for all eternity   :O. Guitars are meant for playing, (or in my case I try and play :laugh:), not locking away in clear perspex boxes.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Feb. 27 2006, 18:51

Well Hard Rock cafe were after it but apparently a fan put in a higher bid, but the radio show has made it apparent that Mike is going to see if he can squeeze Richard B for some spondoolies!!  Branson baiting I think it's called - it was funny to hear it - although, If you think about it the Tub 1 tele has probably been sat in it's box since .... before Amrok, Mike mentioned he hadnt played most of the guitars he was selling since then and the flight case the LP junior TV came in - which was so obviously made for the guitar - had a Switzerland sticker on it.  I guess that's where Amrok was recorded - or some of it - anyone know anything about that. b but the point is..it's been effectively in storage.  Mr O probably not having too much of a sentimental streak?! needs the room.  Did someone say he had a new wife?  

Ray    :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
149 replies since Feb. 10 2006, 17:07 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (8) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net