Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (8) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike Oldfield's guitars for sale< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Luca Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 14 2006, 03:53

At least he didn't sell his tubular bells :)

(Hi didn't, did he?)

There were some bells up on ebay a while ago.. i saved the link here

I shouldnt think they were the ones used on the orginal TB, he didnt own them did he?
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Feb. 14 2006, 04:04

Quote (stevenmd779 @ Feb. 13 2006, 18:46)
At least he didn't sell his tubular bells

Anyways, I can't see him using any old equipment including old guitars. He'll probobly get some new more modern ones to go with the modern production equipment.

I would wait for him to sale his old style synths, but the guitars over there cost more than they did new. Can you believe that? Used stuff costing more than new.

The Tubular Bells have been auctioned at eBay in 2004. These were the ones that he used during his concerts in 1992/93.

I don´t think he´ll treat himself to some new guitars for he still has quite a few axes remaining (2 Fender Stratocaster, 2 PRS, Gibson ES-335, Ramirez 1A, Martin 00.21, Zemaitis Bass at least).

Last year his studio has been cleared of probably of all of his keyboards including the huge mixing desk. So if you want to have a go get in touch with Funky Junk in London (Phone: +44 207 6095479).

Yes, the guitars cost more than they did when they were new. In order to get a comparable guitar today you will have to pay at least the same, if not a lot more.

Just for example: A new Ramirez 1A Flamenco is worth about 7.500 $.

Chris  :cool:
Profile PM 
Ratty Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2006, 04:11

"During the process of bringing this book to life I have realised a great many things about myself and my position in the scheme of things. (Oh for the gift of hindsight ! This will surely influence my future personally and creatively." (quote Mike Oldfield)

I was a little wary when i heard that Mike was getting rid of some of his guitars but reading into his recently posted comments maybe we should look forward to what he is going to produce next. I took this quote from Mike to mean that he was looking at the type of music he has produced recently and he is going to change it again. I am expecting Mike to create music like he used to do, longer & more guitar orientated. Maybe im wrong but im prepared to wait for his next peace of work. He hasnt got rid of all his guitars either. Give him a chance, he obviously knows what he is doing and what direction he is going to take.  
:)

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
Taurus Outcast Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2006, 07:36

mike is an artist for chrissake! he will go in whatever direction he wants to go in, it is up to us whether or not to follow him. personally speaking i think he is a genius and like all genius' everyone isnt going to like everything he produces. however i am willing to give each new peice a fresh perspective i havent been disappointed in the past, and i dont expect to be in the future.
Profile PM 
stevenmd779 Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2006, 07:44

I like these new albums, but I do think it would be nice if he changed directions and did a new style of music that he's never done before. As long as he remembers that he is a multi-instrumentalist and doesn't go all guitars for everything. Also he should drop all the female voices and singing and maybe sing himself for a few. The long instrumentals works are nice, but going back to the same style of long instrumental would seem regressive.

--------------
"A people who would sacrifice liberty for security will lose both, and deserve neither." Ben Franklin

Boogs is fo' da chode man.
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2006, 09:17

He's got plenty of guitars left.  He sells, he buys.  He'll continue to use guitars, the moment he wants tubular bells he'll buy them.  

He evolves of course, but it's not like selling some guitars is killing the artist.

It seems he has a clear vision for his new album. It's only our guess what direction he will take. You really can't tell from his last albums.  We've had L&S, TB2003, Tr3s Lunas, Millennium Bell (many do not consider it his best work, but it was a very important album for himself, so we can't tell anything about the upcoming album from that perspective :)), and then Cook's Tune...

HE can and will go every way he likes. Whether he sell guitars, whether we all go running in circles and screaming, there's only one person steering and he has the means and talent to accomplish the goals he sets for himself.

Relax, put on his music and enjoy that in the years between now and the new release.

(but Iwant a grand tour stuffed with work from his whole career, ending with Sunset before the reprises in those years :D)

btw what did the MIDI box in his tubular bells do if it did not trigger hitting the bells by some mechanical means?
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2006, 10:46

I think it triggered the bell sound they used on the TB2 album but it did sound slightly more 'real' than those stupidly over the top bells they used for the TB3 concerts. Incidentally those bells sold on ebay looked pretty rusty, did Mike keep them out in the garden?  :D

Back on topic. I think fans should realise by now that MO is now heading quietly into the latter years of his career where things are well and truly winding down. The old 'fans shouldn't second guess Mike' argument is a bit redundant now considering he's been going down the same old predictable road for a good few years. Its by no means the end of his career but I think, as far as I'm concerned certainly, its the end of me sitting here ticking off the days until his next release hoping that he will release music that is actually any good. But then again he's given me so much joy with his music since I discovered him all those years ago that I don't mind cutting him a little slack. I just wish he could have realised his potential more than he did, but perhaps he may yet.
Profile PM 
stevenmd779 Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2006, 11:02

But what about those albums in the 80s? He got over that phase thankfully, and I think that he will eventually stop doing chill out albums and turn to smooth jazz, or house, or country or who knows what.

--------------
"A people who would sacrifice liberty for security will lose both, and deserve neither." Ben Franklin

Boogs is fo' da chode man.
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2006, 13:05

QE2, 5MO, Crises, Discovery? I love those.   :)

(I guess you meant some other 1980's albums).

Oh well, look at the end 1980's style.  What was the first one after that? Right, Amarok.

Don't write off the man too soon.  Especially when L&S showed he's still capable of very nice things (why shouldn't he :)).
Profile PM 
Taurus Outcast Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2006, 14:26

Quote (TOBY @ Feb. 14 2006, 10:46)
Its by no means the end of his career but I think, as far as I'm concerned certainly, its the end of me sitting here ticking off the days until his next release hoping that he will release music that is actually any good.

Why are you posting on this forum then? If you've lost interest why do you continue to post this drivel?

ive said it many times, and i'll say it again, mike will do what 'he wants to do' not what each of us individually want him to do. its up to you if you want to continue following his music.
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2006, 14:57

Quote (Olivier @ Feb. 10 2006, 17:07)
Mike is selling most of his guitar collection.

Well I just bought the Les Paul Junior.  I got some pictures I can post if any one is interested.  THe Tub1 tele will sell at about £30 to £40k and is likely to go to Planet Hollywood unless every one chips in £100 and we buy it between us. :O

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
nushky Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2006, 15:52

Congratulations !!!

If you can post some pics that would be great indeed !!!
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2006, 16:22

I am posting them to the webmaster, and hope to add some history if I can find it, so they can be clicked via the musical instrument box reference to the les paul junior. So all can see.  Not sure how to post photo's otherwise. if it's not got a fret board.........Cheers R ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2006, 16:37

OK... I've been reading this forum and I just have to reply.  I think some people need to go and read the innner sleve cover of Amrok.  There is a little story there that is quite appropriate for some of the  honorable members comments above.

No one keeps everything for ever, Clapton sold Blackie, he was on the radio a few month ago and he was asked how many guitars he has......er....about 40 I think was his reply.  His Guitar Tech was in the back room and shouted out..93.  When you have that many guitars some have to go.  I'm just so Glad Mr O was fan oriented to sell his guitars by word of mouth almost so that Fans would find out first.  He could easily have Ebayed them .. disaster.  I spoke to the guys in the Shop selling them and every one has gone to a fan, mostly in Europe.

Why sell, yes, space, he has moved on etc., but perhaps he just wanted then out there being used rather than sitting in a cupboard getting twisted and dusty.  I don't even think he was selling them at more than the going rate.  You watch Ebay.. maybe one or two will appear and your just watch the price they fetch.  He could easliy have done that and he would have got the PR from the media too no doubt.  He has chosen to do only that with the ONE guitar - the tubular bells Tele.

Also, as for nice guitars..just try playing a new PRS, pure cream cake to play!!  Most of the new kit and new sounds are probably not best attained anymore with 50yr old guitars.  

There is a temptation for people who like a particular music to want more of the same (and yes, I would like another Ommadawn - but would it have the same effect?? who knows). I imagine for the artist that is a bit boring and new things are what drives them.  ......Phew.  No for those of you who have not read it - go and read the inner sleve of amrok.  Regards Ray :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2006, 16:56

A spanish fan got the Ovation Adamas:
http://p200server.us.es/mikeold....foro=10 (in Spanish)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2006, 17:28

In response to Taurus Outcast.  Where exactly did I say I lost interest?  As I said Mike's music has been a part of life for so long now that I will continue to take a keen interest in what he does but my point was its been so long since he released music that I personally actually liked or attached any real value to (generally speaking of course, even L+S had its small moments) that I don't hold onto the edge of my seat waiting for another great album, drivel or not thats my view. There is obviously plenty of good things left to discuss about Mike's career, thats why I'll remain interested. I'll leave it at that.
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Feb. 15 2006, 09:08

Quote (Ray @ Feb. 14 2006, 14:57)
Well I just bought the Les Paul Junior.  I got some pictures I can post if any one is interested.

Congratulations Ray!

Which one did you get? The 61 or the 63 (Gibsynth) SG?

It´d be great if we could gather more details for the instruments list as well as some pictures. I´ll post some pics of the 12-string Martin here shortly!

Chris
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 15 2006, 10:02

Quote (Taurus Outcast @ Feb. 14 2006, 19:26)
Why are you posting on this forum then? If you've lost interest why do you continue to post this drivel?

Not all of us think Mike is god and wait on tenterhooks for his next sneeze. Anyone with even a passing interest is welcome here, as long as they come to discuss one of the subjects that's considered on topic here and, of course, behave sensibly...and...politely.

'Nuff said.
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2006, 11:42

it is the 1957 les paul junior.  TV yellow (bit I dont know what TV stands for) apparently mike played it a lot in the mid to late 70's.  I just unpacked it an plugged it in.  It's got a very nice sound, in fact it's the sound i've been triying to get by using effects and emp settings - I guess I just realised that the sound comes from the guitar!!  I'll try to get some pictures on the instrument section - i'm waiting for an administrator to get back to me with where to send them - perhaps Korgskrew can help??javascript:emoticon(':)';)

--------------
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2006, 11:46

Quote (Ray @ Feb. 15 2006, 11:42)
in fact it's the sound i've been triying to get by using effects and emp settings - I guess I just realised that the sound comes from the guitar!!  

My envy knows no end!!!

Can you give an exampel of a passage of mid 70s Mike where we can hear the sound you describe?

Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
149 replies since Feb. 10 2006, 17:07 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (8) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net