Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (8) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike Oldfield's guitars for sale< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
tek_uk Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 12 2006, 03:48

The PRS he sold is a light sunburn one, with the beautifull bird inlays. You can see it on the cover of Guitars I believe and in the TB3 and Millenium Bell videos.
It is quite possible that the cherry SG Junior are not the originals but replacements as pointed by Korgscrew. The one I saw had a (old) midi connection fitted to it (very big connection, almost like for a scsi cable) which i suspect is for an early Roland midi system. The PRS also has a midi kit fitted, but a much more recent one (the Roland VG8 I guess).
The Gibson TV is the one used throughout the Exposed video and is the one I'd go for if I could justify £3000. It is still available. Chandlers told me Mike might keep the Tele he used on TB and do some promo/PR with it.
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2006, 05:09

maybe Mike had enough of music and writes books next 40 years

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2006, 06:39

Good 4 him! It's very liberating to clear out things that mean so much to us. As Lars said, often it is an act that declares the start of a new chapter - or it could be just that he's moved to a smaller house and hasn't got the space   :p

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2006, 06:58

Or he's just moved to a more expensive house and desperately needs the cash. The only thing I find suprising about all this is that he would even  consider selling the guitar he used on TB, that has to be the most historic guitar in his collection. The fact that he would sell it for the right offer makes me think he possibly is short of a bob or two.
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2006, 07:31

Don't worry Brandon, the PRS he sold was not the amber one from the DVDs. He sold the reddy sunburst one, the one with the Roland MIDI pickup on it. That means no more sax guitar!! See, things are looking up.  :)

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2006, 09:45

Is this guy crazy or what???!!! Such beautiful instruments with such an important piece of history!

And now we'll see these guitars end up being sold by the fans who bought them for over 10.000's probably.  :/

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Korkesova Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2006, 13:00

He bought new  better guitars, sure.  :) He thinks to say goodbye  Dark Past ! Why cling to out of use guitars ?
He isn't crazy, he  knows what he's doing!

;)

--------------
it's never too late for me
Profile PM 
Quicksilver Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2006, 15:45

I don't understand why Mike is doing this. We need an explanation!!
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2006, 17:39

Quote (Korgscrew @ Feb. 12 2006, 02:26)
The SG which Mike used on Ommadawn was stolen shortly afterwards; the SGs which were on sale at Chandlers were replacements for it. Still, he used them a lot on tour and in the studio from then onwards.

When you only own one or two guitars, the idea of selling them seems impossible...who could conceivably part with such loved objects? Once they start getting in the way though, and the cases fill space which you'd rather have for things you use more often, or just for living in, maybe you'll start to understand why Mike doesn't want to keep all his guitars...

I wonder who would steal one of Mike's guitars, not a nice thing to do :( .  

Indeed, I imagine it was hard for Mike to  to part with some of his guitars.  Speaking as someone who has recently moved house, I'm amazed at how much stuff I've accumulated over the  years.  Not that Mike's guitars are merely "stuff".  I've cleared out a large storecupboard, and most  of my clothes that have got too big. I've four bags of items for the charity shop, and bag s of soft toys for a local children's hospice, still, if the toys benefit sick kids and they'll get pleasure from them  :) .  I've decided just to keep my bears, meant for adult collectors rather than kids toys.  I couldn't bear (no pun intended) to part with all of them.  Yes I can understand why  Mike is parting with some of his guitars.
Ifeel as if I'm about to start a new chapter in my life, maybe Mike is too, if so I wish him every sucess  :D .        

tek_uk   Posted on Feb. 12 2006, 08:48
Chandlers told me Mike might keep the Tele he used on TB and do some promo/PR with it.

That's good :).

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
christ Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2006, 18:37

i'm not being an idiot...
mike has made some pretty poor decisions, this being one..
i mean, fo' serious, he hasn't done anything worthwile in about 14 years.

fruity loops, for christ's sake; i mean, what the heck?

no tour, no good music, he appears lazy.

i reallly doubt any more groundbreaking work is going to be added to his corpus, so he really is as good as vanished.

selling those awesome guitars doesn't really look like a step forward to me, how much better can one Custom PRS sound than another Custom PRS?
Profile PM 
Horse Offline

Posted: Feb. 13 2006, 00:16

Pictures of the collection anyone? I'd love to see those guitars.

And to those talking about historic instruments: They may seem like that to us, but I frankly don't think there's much magic in them for Mike. They're his tools. Would any of you cry when parting from your very first screwdriver?
Profile PM WEB 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Feb. 13 2006, 01:41

Quote (tek_uk @ Feb. 12 2006, 03:48)
It is quite possible that the cherry SG Junior are not the originals but replacements as pointed by Korgscrew. The one I saw had a (old) midi connection fitted to it (very big connection, almost like for a scsi cable) which i suspect is for an early Roland midi system.

The Gibson TV is the one used throughout the Exposed video and is the one I'd go for if I could justify £3000. It is still available. Chandlers told me Mike might keep the Tele he used on TB and do some promo/PR with it.

Mikes first SG got stolen during the recording process of the first Ommadawn version (in which he wore the tape out). The replacement SG from 1961 came in to finish the process as you can tell by looking at the video clip of All You Need Is Love. That´s the axe we all know of. Therefore it was rather cheap.

The Gibson Les Paul TV has not been used on the Exposed tour. That was a Gibson L-6S Deluxe of which he had two (a blonde and a black one).

The TV has been sold to a guy in France along with the Ramirez. Lucky bastard!

;)
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Feb. 13 2006, 01:44

Quote (Horse @ Feb. 13 2006, 00:16)
Pictures of the collection anyone? I'd love to see those guitars.

Im in talks with Chandlers about getting pictures of all of Mikes guitars that were for sale.

If I´m successful I will talk to the webmaster to link them on the instruments page on this site. :cool:
Profile PM 
Yuval Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Feb. 13 2006, 03:09

why? - you are all asking
Considering the rather expensive prices.. I have no choice but to think this action comes to support some of his money consuming bad habbits.

Just for the record- i consider a new super extra new sequencer a bad habit.

Maybe thats abit radical and unfair to say, but thats my only guess.
Profile PM 
speedm Offline

Posted: Feb. 13 2006, 07:59

We're approaching the end of the tax year in the UK . . . .
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Feb. 13 2006, 08:28

Isn't there something in the tax laws about getting deductions by donating your expensive guitars to a worthy and charitable cause, such as a Tubular.net regular making recordings of  fan tracks and covers? :)

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
nushky Offline

Posted: Feb. 13 2006, 11:34

chandler has updated its site. Apparently the "Gibson Les Paul Junior 1957 TV Yellow" is still for sale. This guitar looks very cool  (I like natural finishes). How does it compare to a L6 Deluxe. Does it have 24 frets (which could be a good opportunity to get one) ?
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Feb. 13 2006, 13:38

Reading through the many posts in this thread, I simply cannot believe why people have such strong feelings about Mike selling his guitars. They are his to sell, for whatever reason. The music will always remain. Keeping things for sentimental reasons is just fine, but not essential. ( I speak as one who saves 'meaningful' scraps of paper, birthday cards, locks of hair from my children, & other paraphenalia that is completely cluttering up my house!!!;) I should really have a clear out one day, when I'm ready!

I think it is healthy to move on and look back on the past with acceptance, no one can change it, afterall. The thing is you do what feels right for you at the time. He is not exactly the same person he was when he was 18/19 years old. I know I have changed since I was that age. Different things are important to me now.

And didn't someone here, in a different thread, say that " to attain knowledge, add things every day...to attain wisdom,remove things everyday" ( It may have been Tubularbelle, I can't remember) . Very appropriate.

I should imagine he still has a guitar or two to play. Hope so, coz that's what he does really communicate with. Perhaps he's got something even better??? New album will explain all! :)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
amazarak Offline

Posted: Feb. 13 2006, 17:00

At least he didn't sell his tubular bells :)

(Hi didn't, did he?)

amazarak

--------------
Just hold your heading true
Got to get your finest out
Profile PM 
stevenmd779 Offline

Posted: Feb. 13 2006, 18:46

At least he didn't sell his tubular bells

(Hi didn't, did he?)
I don't know, but he hasn't used them since 1990, and it doesn't look like he will again unless he changes his musical style. Anyways, I can't see him using any old equipment including old guitars. He'll probobly get some new more modern ones to go with the modern production equipment. I would wait for him to sale his old style synths, but the guitars over there cost more than they did new. Can you believe that? Used stuff costing more than new.
That means no more sax guitar!!
Dick sprouts! I thought that was a good saxaphone sound. Anyways the modern synthasizers can get out sax and guitar sounds that sound just like the real thing. For all I know he's been using synths to emulate guitar sounds for the past 3 albums, and I don't really care too much because it's the sound that counts. And what's this about no guitars on resent albums? Tubular Bells, Tres Lunas, and the parts I've heard of Light and Shade are very guitar driven. There's an extensive guitar solo in almost every song unless that's one of those sampled guitars loaded into a synthasizer.

--------------
"A people who would sacrifice liberty for security will lose both, and deserve neither." Ben Franklin

Boogs is fo' da chode man.
Profile PM 
149 replies since Feb. 10 2006, 17:07 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (8) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net