Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (8) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike Oldfield's guitars for sale< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 10 2006, 17:07

Mike is selling most of his guitar collection.
Profile PM 
Vladimir Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 11 2006, 00:33

Why?..  :/
Profile PM WEB 
Glorfindel Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2006, 01:53

Why indeed!  :/  :/  :/  :O
Profile PM 
CuNimb Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2006, 03:22

I don't like the look of this at all. :/

--------------
Happy? ha ha ha....
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2006, 04:11

I don't know why either, but I'm *this* close to calling my bank! I wonder which of the LesPauls it is that he bought from Marc Bolan (the one you can see on the T Rex "brown album" sleeve)

Seriously, I can't see why he would need the money. Perhaps he wants "clean slate" - some people so things like this when they are about to begin a new chapter in their life.

Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
tek_uk Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2006, 06:55

Well, there's no point calling your bank.
I went to Chandlers first thing this morning with a friend. Most of the guitars are sold! :-(
I really wanted to buy the Gibson SG Junior (the cherry one) or the PRS custom 24 (with birds inlays)...
They told me they had calls from fans all over the world and some bought by phone (the guitars were still in the shop but marked as sold).
The Gibson TV was still available...for £3000 which is more than I can afford. There was also a Gibson Flying V (as seen in the moonlight shadow video) but left handed. I believe there's a fewacoustics still available but again, more than £2000 and I'm not really an acoustic player anyway. Shame... At least, I got to play the Gibson TV and the Gibson LG used on Ommadown!!! :-)
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2006, 07:47

And the sale page is yet another one of those badly-designed ones where you have to highlight the text in order to read it. Bright yellow on orange background does not cut it for readability....

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
christ Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2006, 12:11

f off, mike oldfield.
he's as good as dead.
       :(
Profile PM 
RaWi Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2006, 13:14

For me,his time is over now.Light and shade:TERRIBLE,indeed.And now is coming a computer played Mike.The time of Millenium Bell etc. is passed away.
Sad.Very sad.
So I'm glad we have TERRY!
His music is handmade and fine.
Go up to his side and have a look!
Profile PM 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2006, 14:21

Quote (christ @ Feb. 11 2006, 12:11)
f off, mike oldfield.
he's as good as dead.

Thanks for that.I,ll look forward to your next wonderful and insightful post ;)
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2006, 14:57

Quote (RaWi @ Feb. 11 2006, 13:14)
The time of Millenium Bell etc. is passed away.

And thank god for that! If *that* is the best he could do with his guitars, then I don't know if this is such a great loss..

BTW wasn't there a lot of programming/sampling on Millenium Bell? And TB3? That was extremely computerized, wasn't it?

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
nushky Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2006, 16:08

This sounds like a bad joke, to sell the guitars that helped him become famous, and all of this through a small caps ad on a website, with no advertising whatsoever...
If they were still available (and if I had money to waste), I wondered wether I had bought one or not. Who deserves an instrument that was used by a great musician and as such has become very unique ?
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2006, 16:49

More opinions about the subject is here !

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2006, 17:23

Quote (RaWi @ Feb. 11 2006, 18:14)
For me,his time is over now.Light and shade:TERRIBLE,indeed.And now is coming a computer played Mike.The time of Millenium Bell etc. is passed away.
Sad.Very sad.

Fool

Light and Shade is better than Millenium bell, and it was a good album, vocaloid was controverisal, but there is no controversy about the quality (there shouldn't be)  :p

This is not bad news, in my opinion, though I hope for more bodhran in his next outing :D

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2006, 18:40

Quote (christ @ Feb. 11 2006, 17:11)
f off, mike oldfield.
he's as good as dead.

Charming... I think not :O .

tek_uk   Posted on Feb. 11 2006, 11:55Well, there's no point calling your bank.
I went to Chandlers first thing this morning with a friend. Most of the guitars are sold! :-(
.....At least, I got to play the Gibson TV and the Gibson LG used on Ommadown!!! :-)

Both the Gibson SG's are described as being cherry red.  I gather it's the 1961 model with the £2695 price ticket that was used on Ommadawn.  As I said in the other thread on this topic,(that's a point why are there two threads with the same topic running simultaneously???   :/ ), "the  '67 Telecaster is highly desirable",  as is the SG used in the recording of Ommadawn. Wonder why there's such a price difference, or is it because Tubular Bells is Mike's most famous album, and so the Telecaster commands a higher price???  It would be great if I could afford either of them, just to play them in a shop would be fantastic, well it would be if it wasn't for my rather feeble guitar playing skills.

Yes I would be worried if Mike decided to sell ALL of his guitars, but I couldn't imagine Mike to be totally guitarless.
;)

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Feb. 11 2006, 20:03

Quote (Vladimir @ Feb. 10 2006, 23:33)
Why?..  :/

I wouldn't be surprised if it is because he apparently moved recently. Packing up and having to move it all can be a motivating factor in ridding yourself of stuff you don't use any more.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Nacho Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2006, 21:10

And he has not sold all of his guitars....!! Please, keep calm!! What's the problem if he wants to buy some new ones...???

I was very proud of my Macintosh LCIII, where I made a lot of things, but definitely I had to throw it into the bin, and bought an iMac and a laptop PC (...this last one I reallly want to throw away...!!!!;)  :)
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 11 2006, 21:26

The SG which Mike used on Ommadawn was stolen shortly afterwards; the SGs which were on sale at Chandlers were replacements for it. Still, he used them a lot on tour and in the studio from then onwards.

When you only own one or two guitars, the idea of selling them seems impossible...who could conceivably part with such loved objects? Once they start getting in the way though, and the cases fill space which you'd rather have for things you use more often, or just for living in, maybe you'll start to understand why Mike doesn't want to keep all his guitars...
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 12 2006, 01:00

:(  <---(supposed to be sad smiley not angry smiley). His Custom 24......sniff......I loved that sound.

At least he still has his pink strat (unless he sold that privately).

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Horse Offline

Posted: Feb. 12 2006, 02:26

Hmmm... As far as I know, he has (or rather had) three PRS guitars. The MaCarthy Hollowbody, and two solidbodies, one of which is sold now. But which one was it. The yellow one or the reddish?
Profile PM WEB 
149 replies since Feb. 10 2006, 17:07 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (8) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net