Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (8) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike Oldfield's guitars for sale< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ray Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 15 2006, 12:30

mmm.... i'll have to listen to some tracks and make notes of some times but one i already noticed was incantations, on the excerpt from Essential at about 2:30, a guitar starts - that's it Exactly.  I will try to find a bit where there are no other instruments on another track and let you know.  Allthough - Mr Oldfield would probably be laughing at me and saying Nooo Wronnngg, that was the SG!  I'll find some more at the weekend.  Cheers Ray ;)

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
sallyangie Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2006, 13:42

:) Just for the record: I bought the PRS and the Gibson gibsynth sg that i was assures was used on Ommadawn, and they will stay here in the U.K.,where they belong. I will not be selling them on Ebay, as to have them is the realisation of something I never dared to dream. I have let Mike know that if he ever wishes them returned, whether for a tour or to re-create a particular sound, they are his for the asking. I am new to this forum thingie, but I will find out how to post photos of both guitars if you would like me to. x
Profile PM 
christ Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2006, 15:40

no, you know what?
i figured it out.  :-)
mike oldfield bought an early one of the new gibson synth guitars.

he is a technology man.

it's a fonky guitar too, you can use one amp per string, crazy stuff like that.

http://www.gibsondigital.com/ :(
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2006, 16:02

Quote (christ @ Feb. 15 2006, 18:40)
no, you know what?
i figured it out.  :-)
mike oldfield bought an early one of the new gibson synth guitars.

he is a technology man.

it's a fonky guitar too, you can use one amp per string, crazy stuff like that.

http://www.gibsondigital.com/ :(

Seems very interesting...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Ray Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2006, 17:36

Sallyangie,  Excellent attitude my thoughts exactly - same here, if the SG is needed for any reason then it will be gladly and freely loaned back, Ebay - not likely (? Has one been advertized already or was that a pre-emptive strike??).  I guess I can say I know the feeling - Pretty good opening the box hey!!  Do you play (probably a stupid question)?

The Gibsinth - yes intersting.  You'll have to let us know what it's like.

How do you post pictures?? Do you know?javascript:emoticon(';)';)

Rgds Ray

--------------
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2006, 18:09

sallyangie: I was thinking about Ommadawn and your Gibsynth and your PRS - Ommadawn was made in 197something.  When did PRS start amaking guitars?  

Also -  I'm not sure your Gibsinth could have been used on Ommadawn, i don't think the technology had been invented then.  I am standing ready to be corrected.

If you ask Chandlers you will probably get a potted history of the guitars use.  Rgds Rayjavascript:emoticon(':/';)

--------------
Profile PM 

Posted: Feb. 15 2006, 18:11

To post pictures,go to the Gallery section and open a new topic there,and send your pics.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2006, 18:16

Gibsynth during Ommadawn? Don't think so...Edit: Korgscrew just mentioned it could have been a refit, good point.

btw why all the hassle of going to digital, I mean why not just 6 separate outputs on the guitar in the first place?
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2006, 18:18

mmm......  Ta, I meant to post them to be visable when you click on the instrument in the instrument section.  i sent a note to the webmaster but no reply yet?!

Rayjavascript:emoticon(':)';)

--------------
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2006, 18:21

Gibsinth..... Yes - it's already been done - in fact doesn't Salyangies PRS have a GK attachment one of Mike's PRS's did I understand.  The GKsuystem is exactly that - six separate outputs.

but hell - it's a gadget, and we all like out gadgets dont we.  Especially when they are just out.  I imagine Mr Oldfield was experimenting.
Rgds Ray  javascript:emoticon(':p';)

--------------
Profile PM 
ktran Offline

Posted: Feb. 15 2006, 23:24

PRS guitars started mass-producing in the mid-80s. Before that, Paul Smith was this dude who made guitars in his workshop, and hung around backstage at local gigs, hoping that musicians would try and buy his guitars.

--------------
Khoa Tran
www.suspendedseconds.ca
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Feb. 16 2006, 04:19

Quote (sallyangie @ Feb. 15 2006, 13:42)
:) Just for the record: I bought the PRS and the Gibson gibsynth sg that i was assures was used on Ommadawn, and they will stay here in the U.K.,where they belong. I will not be selling them on Ebay, as to have them is the realisation of something I never dared to dream. I have let Mike know that if he ever wishes them returned, whether for a tour or to re-create a particular sound, they are his for the asking. I am new to this forum thingie, but I will find out how to post photos of both guitars if you would like me to. x

Sorry to say that the Gibsynth has not been used for the recording of Ommadawn. It arrived in Mikes collection at a later point, probably in the late 70s.

I don´t see any reason why the guitars should belong to the U.K. as long as they´re kept in the hands of someone who cares for the music as well as for the instrument.

Mike can also have a go with the 12-string which is going to arrive here in Germany shortly.
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Feb. 16 2006, 04:25

Quote (Ray @ Feb. 15 2006, 11:42)
it is the 1957 les paul junior.  TV yellow (bit I dont know what TV stands for) apparently mike played it a lot in the mid to late 70's.  I just unpacked it an plugged it in.  It's got a very nice sound, in fact it's the sound i've been triying to get by using effects and emp settings - I guess I just realised that the sound comes from the guitar!!  I'll try to get some pictures on the instrument section - i'm waiting for an administrator to get back to me with where to send them - perhaps Korgskrew can help??javascript:emoticon(':)';)

On Discovery:

"Quite a lot of the lead breaks werde done on a Roland Guitar synth which I had fitted to an old Les Paul Junior - it got called the Gibsynth after that.

I´ve also got ... a 1957 Gibson TV which I had modified so that it has a two octave fretboard. That is fitted with really light strings, starting with an eight thou at the top, so that when I get right to the end of the neck, I can still bend it up to the G above - giving effectively another three frets! That´s a good range, and it lets me use a really high range for solos without running out of neck."

(Mike Oldfield, GUITARIST September 1984)

Some Les Paul Juniors were made with a blonde/yellow finish instead of a sunburst, and these Juniors were referred to as the Les Paul 'TV' models - perhaps because they were supposed to look good on black and white television. ;)
Profile PM 

Posted: Feb. 16 2006, 06:43

Quote (ktran @ Feb. 16 2006, 02:24)
PRS guitars started mass-producing in the mid-80s. Before that, Paul Smith was this dude who made guitars in his workshop, and hung around backstage at local gigs, hoping that musicians would try and buy his guitars.

...and before that,he worked for some years at Gibson.

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Feb. 16 2006, 08:49

Hello everyone! Welcome to the new members and to the newly active ones!

It's wonderful that the guitars are going to fans, wherever they are in the world, who have an appreciation of them, and a commitment to their maintenance.

We are not sure what happened to the initial pictures that Ray had sent, but we've been in contact off-forum.

BTW....Maybe everyone has visited the PRS website, but if not and you're interested in the company history or the model histories....try here.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2006, 10:44

Ok- I think the comment about being kept here in the UK was really a feeling that people are glad they (The guitars) didnt go to Dealers in the US where every thing ends up these days and who would be apreciating them for their financial gain rather than what they are.  Wouldnt you agree Sallyangie??

I agree that whereever they are as long as they are getting used by someone and that person is getting the full benefit from owning them - ie I have been listening to Mr O since I was 11.  When I got introduced to Tubular Bells from a neighbour who was 20 year older than me, it had just been released.  He said "you have to listen to this guy - he plays all the instruments himself"  I have bought every album and single as it came out (yes even Discovery with Sally on it"), watched the original making of the Blue Peter, Exposed Concerts in Manchester etc, etc.,, I now have a recording studio in my attic and have been playing guitar since I was 13 (That is 30yrs as of last tuesday!;), The first thing I learnt was The Tubulabells theme, also I was in a group playing Bodhran as I leant that after seen Mike use one, so to now own one of the guitars when that person has had a major influence on you life it Quite incredible.

No offence meant to other buyers who I imagine all feel the same.  
Cheers Ray (Middle Nowhere, Scotland)

Germany - isnt that in London somewhere anyway!!javascript:emoticon(':p';)
smilie

--------------
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2006, 10:51

Gibsynth.  Sallyangie - can you clarify - is the gibsynth a les paul - I had interpreted it as an SG??  If it's The one mentioned by the honorable gentleman with the 12string (from London wasn't it!javascript:emoticon(';)';)
smilie), then that sounds like a Roland GK pickup.  PIctures!!!!?

PS with help from the admin'ers I have sent some pictures.  So you will be able to se the LP Junior soon.

REGDS Ray

--------------
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2006, 11:03

Here is what Gibson have to say about the LP Junior TV.

Dear Ray,

It has the gold decal logo with the dot attached to the G and an open b and o, stud mounted bridge/tailpiece and original peghead shape so it all looks original to me.

I think indeed it is a Les Paul TV from 1957 (Ray adds - I didnt tell them who I had bought it off!!;).  This guitar has the specifications of the Les Paul Junior, but then with limed mahogany finish:

Les Paul TV: Les Paul Jr. with limed mahogany finish (name derives either from popular TV cabinet finishes of the day or from the belief that the finish would show up better than sunburst on black-and-white TV), a few early examples are natural finish Mahogany.

Introduced:
Finish described as natural in price list and as limed oak in catalog: 1956
Limed mahogany finish in catalog description: 1957
Double Cutaway with rounded horns: mid 1958
Renamed SG TV, still with rounded cutaway horns: late 1959
SG body shape, white finish: early 1961

Les Paul Jr:  Flat top, slab mahogany body, single cutaway, 1 black P-90 pickup, stud mounted bridge/tailpiece, tortoiseshell plastic pickguard, 16 frets clear of body, unbound rosewood fingerboard, dot inlay, yellow silkscreen logo and model name on peghead, nickel plated hardware, sunburst finish.

Introduced: mid 1954

The machine heads are not original, the original tuners should be Kluson Deluxe, Tulip plastic tuners, the knobs should have a single ring around them.

--------------
Profile PM 
Taurus Outcast Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2006, 13:46

The 'gibsynth' belonging to sallyangie is the 1963 gibson les paul junior (sg shape) with early synth pickup (looks kinda like a gk), a big scart lead type attatchment for the input and 3 extra tone knobs on the body.

hope that helps

and if anyone wants to know about the prs, it is a 1993 custom 24 with roland gk pickup, 2 buttons on the perimeter of the body to control the pickup - near the input jack, and next to that is a midi connection.

peace x
Profile PM 
sallyangie Offline

Posted: Feb. 16 2006, 15:24

Quote (Ray @ Feb. 16 2006, 10:44)
Ok- I think the comment about being kept here in the UK was really a feeling that people are glad they (The guitars) didnt go to Dealers in the US where every thing ends up these days and who would be apreciating them for their financial gain rather than what they are.  Wouldnt you agree Sallyangie??

Apologies to all the European fans out there. I did indeed only mean that in my humble opinion Mike's guitars should be kept by his fans,  rather than go to dealers generally, who only think of them in terms of monetary value.I think we all understand that these guitars are of immense sentimental and historic value to everyone who appreciates Mike's music. Although it's only the lucky few who get to actually own them, in truth they belong to all of us who love him, and who feel that his music has affected our lives, and helped us through the good times and the bad.  
On the provenance of the guitars: I have spoken to Chandlers, and they have confirmed that the Gibson SG Les Paul Junior I have, was used on Ommadawn, and that Mike is happy to confirm this.
Peace & Love x
Profile PM 
149 replies since Feb. 10 2006, 17:07 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (8) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net