Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike Oldfield song in BBC2 Amazon series< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 21 2008, 22:49

The Songs For Survival album accompanying BBC2 new TV series Bruce Parry's Amazon will feature an exclusive song by Mike Oldfield. The theme of the series is performed by Apparatjik composed of Guy Berryman (Coldplay), Magne Furuholmen (a-ha) and Jonas Bjerre (Mew). It starts on september 22.

Via mikeoldfieldblog.com under Tati The Sentinel's watch

Update Aug 25: according to the Kensaltown Records' tracklisting, Mike's track is : Mike Oldfield feat. the Anuta tribe - Song For Survival

Update Sep 14: Song For Survival is available at iTunes UK and Play.com which provides a sample.
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2008, 22:51

Cold and northern people doing Amazonian music. It's like Mike playing only one instrument on an album. Oh wait.

Exclusive means new I guess, unless they can remove the rights from Virgin, Warner or Universal to an existing one?
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 22 2008, 03:17

Good point Olivier. It could well be an existing song of Mike, but I hope it will be some new stuff! It's been a while since we've heard from Mike.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2008, 04:30

:/  :(  Olivier ? I'm sorry i have to admit i have difficulties to understand what this post wants to talk about . Little help please Olivier ? Do we'll have the chance to hear something new from Mike ? Thanks !
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2008, 06:59

Quote (Olivier @ Aug. 22 2008, 00:51)
Cold and northern people doing Amazonian music.

Well,since I'm brazilian,there isn't so such a thing called Amazonian music,since there are a lot of music styles coming from that area,it's so specific.

My guess would be songs inspired by that landscape and the journey itself...

Once they played the opening beats of Amarok on a series here about amazonian indians,it was soo nice to hear and it filled in perfectly.

Let's see if Universal have more news on the subject about this "exclusive" track...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Olivier Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2008, 10:55

It could perhpas be an existing song a little bit remixed or truncated, and they would have the excluse rights to it?

I'd bet my money on Pacha Mama, it has a more American feeling than Amarok, more African.
Profile PM 

Posted: Aug. 22 2008, 12:22

Quote (Olivier @ Aug. 22 2008, 12:55)
It could perhpas be an existing song a little bit remixed or truncated, and they would have the excluse rights to it?

I'd bet my money on Pacha Mama, it has a more American feeling than Amarok, more African.

Pacha Mama would apply to the first episodes,since Amazon river starts in Peru.And don't forget that we brazilians we do have african roots - go to Bahia...capoeira and even samba!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2008, 17:10

Could be a completely new Song !! Who Knows..  There must be shed loads of music that didnt make the cut over the Years ...  It mentions  Exclusive & Songs    so hopefully its something pretty interesting to make it worth the outlay.
:cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2008, 21:12

My guess is that it's something completely new. Mike is hardly a musician who has difficulty coming up with new material. I hope it's not a song, though, unless he teams up with a good lyricist (although apart from the mixed metaphor "shining pearl... sang with one voice" on "Flying Start", the songs onIslands are well-constructed - hardly a false stress, inappropriately-emphasized syllable or word on any of them).
Profile PM 

Posted: Aug. 22 2008, 22:44

Instrumental! Instrumental! Instrumental 4 ever!

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2008, 03:16

lol  :D

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2008, 16:59

Usually an exculsive means, new music not used on any other project, so I would guess we are talking new music here. I, for one, am looking forward to this. It's good to see an artist keeping the 'tap on' after a successful album.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
James Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2008, 17:44

A new song and and its on Amazon yipee
Profile PM 

Posted: Aug. 24 2008, 17:57

Strangely enough,there's no sign of any stuff on MO.com and/or even Mike talking about the subject...waiting here.

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Olivier Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2008, 20:38

It reminds me of the X-Files track he did.

The cover could feature a twisted blowpipe.
Profile PM 
ProjectZ Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2008, 09:42

it will be a new track : Mike Oldfield feat. the Anuta tribe - Song For Survival
Tracklist here
Pre-orders at Play.com
Thanks to the MO-blog for keeping us up to date
:)

by the way : Molly seems to be involved with this release...

--------------
the VANGELIS forum : Invisible Connections ( http://www.vangelis.fr/ )
Profile PM WEB 
Olivier Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2008, 11:53

The blowpipe is not twisted. :O
And it's not called Tubular Survival. :/  (Remember Tubular X)
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2008, 11:58

If you read the article on :-

SongforSurvival

it surely means Mike's track has already aired on the previous TV series called Tribe (if at all ) and not on the forthcoming TV show called Amazon !? (see track listing ...Mike's track is under the Tribe listing ! )

At least it will be on the forthcoming album and we know now it contains samples of the Anuta tribe !

Neil
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2008, 12:57

Way I read it.. is that theyve just taken Samples from "The Tribe" and some of the Artists are incorporating them into the Tks theyre performing on the Album..  

Think a Similar thing was done Years ago   .. ie "Spirit of the Forest"   Kenny Young was involved as Producer  and still is I think.. A Couple of Albums were Released.. 1 on Virgin Records :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2008, 15:51

So, we are getting a dance/experimental new track inspired by and featuring samples of the Tribe.

Jumping up and down here!  :D   :D

Then again, Tubular X - based on an existing track. So might be a remix/re-imagining  :/

Not too long to wait though

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
63 replies since Aug. 21 2008, 22:49 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net