Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike Oldfield quits Britain over smoking ban< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 21 2007, 14:03

Mike Oldfield has quit Britain where he is selling [link updated] his £3.5 million Gloucestershire mansion and is returning to Spain. This is London has an article where Mike explains he feels he lost his freedom because of the smoking ban and the health-and-safety culture.
Profile PM 
SimonUK Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 21 2007, 14:33

Shame Mike is leaving the UK again, but he is a lot more successful in Spain now, & that is probably where he will be needed most for promotional work. I am sure he will really miss the countryside though, having spent most of his life living in rural England & Wales. I agree with the freedom issues being a smoker myself. There should be smoking & no smoking areas to please everyone, but now the change has been made there will be no going back. Whoever can afford his beautiful mansion is very lucky. Good luck to Mike in Spain. Hopefully his new surroundings will inspire him to keep making music like the excellent 'Music Of The Spheres'!

--------------
"I want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live"
(Josh Homme, from Queens Of The Stone Age - 'Go With The Flow').
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Oct. 21 2007, 15:00

Oh dear...he really has lost the plot now. He just can't settle can he.

He moves to a lovely mansion I would only dream of and now throws it all away because of the smoking ban. Well I'm glad it's banned, and should be banned from the streets too as I am sick of walking along inhailing the filth when out shopping...but thats another issue.

I can't believe the only reason Mike has spatt his dummy out is the smoking ban. He knew it was comming in well before he moved to this mansion. I think there is another reason. I can't believe he would give up the beautiful English countryside for spain and it's samey climate.

I thought Mike was a recluse and never went out to any pubs anyway. Oh well, it's up to him but he never stays still long enough thats for sure. Good luck to him but I don't think many people will bat an eyelid to him going. It may even be some kind of publicity stunt to get his album noticed. Now we know why the delay of the release. ;)
Profile PM WEB 
James Offline

Posted: Oct. 21 2007, 16:02

I can understand him getting out with the inheritance tax and him owning expensive property.

Agreed the road laws are getting daft speed cameras etc.

Also agreed take the Great out of Britain please.

I would personally leave due to the anti social behaviour and not being able to touch these hoody bastard  yobs as they are too young.Too many crazy E,U rights.

However to leave for a smoking ban ,well Im not even going to waste my breath. :(
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Oct. 21 2007, 16:08

It is his decision though. What may upset you may not necessarily upset me, and I think the same applies to Mike. If these little pleasures of life that he obviously considers very important to him are being taken away, I think he's doing the right thing.

It does however mean now that a trip i was planning to visit the approximate grounds next year may be in jeopardy. Oh well, C'est la vie, eh?

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Oct. 21 2007, 16:43

hmm.. so that's why the album is delayed...
He don't seem to quit smoking so he's health must be OK :)
About non-smoking areas, it is like that here too. Not my problem really because i don't smoke and i have not against smokers. Only problem is that we had pub's full of smoke. Not lovely to breath in.. he he..

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Bag O'Secrets Offline

Posted: Oct. 21 2007, 16:48

It may well be that he's leaving the country, but the house on the Savills link looks different from the one in the picture of Mike in the 'This is London' article. Wherever it is, it doesn't strike me as being at the shabby end of 5hit Street.

I can see his point regarding the downward spiral this country is taking but to cite the smoking ban as a reason to up-sticks seems a bit of an over-reaction.  He'll be camping in his garden to protest about the decline of music next.   ;)

Anyway, whatever he does and wherever he goes...I wish him well.

--------------
...and nothing was ever heard from him again, except for the sound of Chew-bew-lar Bells.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Oct. 21 2007, 17:04

Quote (James @ Oct. 21 2007, 20:02)
I can understand him getting out with the inheritance tax and him owning expensive property.

Agreed the road laws are getting daft speed cameras etc.

Also agreed take the Great out of Britain please.

I would personally leave due to the anti social behaviour and not being able to touch these hoody bastard  yobs as they are too young.Too many crazy E,U rights.

However to leave for a smoking ban ,well Im not even going to waste my breath. :(

I personally don't blame him. I think Health and Saftey has gone too far. I read in my local paper that firemen, or sorry should I be pc and use the term firefighters are banned from using ladders too take down some festive bunting after a local festival as it's "too dangerous" FFS  :O .

AS for speed cameras, yep I can understand having them in blackspot areas, but I do feel many of them are there purely for the purpose of making money, if a motorist is inadvertently travelling a little too fast, I feel they can cause more accidents, with motorists not realising they're there 'til the last minute.  I personally  feel that flashing "Slow Down" signs are more effective.

As regards anti social behaviour, I feel I live in chav town. One seemed to give me a dirty look as I was getting in my car the other night, nothing flash just a W Reg Vauxhall Corsa. Where I live isn't too bad, but for the groups of chavs who hang around   , I nearly always go out in my car , as if I walk it would mean I pass them, and as a lone female it does scare me somewhat.

Regarding the smoking ban, I find I tend to smoke off and on, I've found roll ups less addictive than cigarettes.  I can understand smoking being banned in work areas, but this law goes too far.  I would have thought with  pubs/restuarants  it would be left up to the landlord to make his or her decision, after all  it's their livelyhood that's at steak, or not as the case may be. I don't like smoking whilst I'm eating, so I would choose a non smoking area.

I am sick of this goverenment telling me what I  cannot do, what next??? Tax fattening foods to the hilt in an attempt to stop obesity, promote healthy eating ??? :/ . How will that work, unless the poorest and most unfit people can afford healthy food, as the healthier food is usually more expensive than the less healthy alternatives.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Oct. 21 2007, 17:22

Too many crazy E,U rights.

Yes, I agree.

Somehow, I don't think Mike had any problems with large gangs of yobs round his street, so I don't know why he is whinging about it but I do see his point in general.

I couldn't do without my seasons and all the really amazing things unique about this country.
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 21 2007, 17:31

I'm not well informed on the situation in the UK at this point, but I feel I sympathise with Mike, and I see the motivation for that decision. Reading the article tells me the smoking ban might not be the reason why he's leaving, but one important factor that made him realise the bigger situation the country is in.

The sad thing is that his decision won't help change the situation, if it really is harsh. Maybe musicians don't have much of a voice, but the smallest actions still count. I'm not being judgemental, though, and I don't think I'm stretching it by thinking Mike's got dozens of reasons not to do something like that. So, best luck for him and his family!

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Oct. 21 2007, 18:04

You have to see why there is that health and safely problem here these days though. Its because affluent middle class people (ie people not unlike Mike) are very trigger happy when it comes to suing anybody or anything the moment something goes wrong in life. Its a way of dealing with situations that started in the US and has now been adopted over here by rich people who want to be even richer at everyone else's expense. Mike by his own admission is a conservative, he clearly hates the idea of a nanny state but like all conservatives he doesn't seem to be able to come up with a viable answer thats socially responsible. If he wants to go and live in Spain fine - its an amazing country and he's much more loved there than he is here in the UK - but his little outburst is quite petty if ask me and fantastically narrow minded even by his own standards.  

As for the smoking ban, CCTV and speed cameras. Where is the argument? Since the instillation of speed cameras fatal road accidents are down by a massive amount - thats a bad thing is it? Presumably if you want to tear around on your 1000cc motorbike it is but for people who have lost loved ones on UK roads speed is a difficult thing to defend, Mike would obviously like to though.

Smoking kills people - Fact. Passive smoking kills people - Fact. Since the smoking ban was brought in here up in Scotland people are actually going out and enjoying sociable drinking without a) giving themselves lung cancer and b) coming home at the end of the night stinking of stale fag smoke. But people like Mike obviously like the idea of all that so thats ok then...
To be honest I'm not anally retentive when it comes to people lighting up. I used to smoke myself and I don't mind people smoking in my flat (as long as they bring the dope ha ha - just kidding - kinda) But there are limits. The fact of the matter is as far as lung cancer is concerned people are more receptive to it than others, no one can tell until its to late, and I for one want people living as long as possible even if it means selfish old fashioned farts like Mike can't smoke in pubs.

The whole CCTV thing is based around the idea of Orwells 1984 and how hellish it would be to live in a completely monitored society. Does it stand up to argument? Personally I don't think it does. I mean the idea of CCTV is pretty horrible but so many crimes have been solved by it. If you were mugged or raped and the culprit was caught because of CCTV footage (as frequently happens) then presumably you'd be glad of that footage? If you don't go around committing crimes then you've got nothing to fear do you?

All in all I like British culture I like that fact all this rather naff attempt at control by the government actually sparks its own unique counter culture  (put it this way artists like Banksy would be out of job if it weren't for th e culture of CCTV) So unless you want life to be a boring conservative utopia like Mike does come and live in Great Britain where its GREAT                 ;)
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 21 2007, 18:54

I don't think the merit of acts like those can be measured solely by their pros, but by a careful balance between their pros and their cons. If that weren't the case, then the hands down best measure against road accidents would be banning all vehicles.

Specifically about the smoking ban, well, smoking only directly harms the smoker himself - and if we were to ban all things that can harm its users, we'd have to ban literally everything - and the indirect harm to passive smokers can be reduced in other, very effective ways. But then again, I like in the country that despises cigarettes but glorifies alcohol, so maybe I'm biased...

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Jools Offline

Posted: Oct. 21 2007, 19:08

Toby - is Mike conservative or is he a Conservative? I've never read anything about Mike's political leanings - where did he admit to being a Conservative?

Spain's a fabulous country - I love its wonderful rich wildlife and scenic variety - and it does have seasons, and in some parts of the country they are more extreme than in Britain, so it all depend where he ends up. 30-40 degrees C in the height of summer doesn't appeal to me though. So good luck to him, even though his reasons are plain daft. Nanny state we may be, up to a point, but as a society we've got what we deserve.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Oct. 21 2007, 21:08

Quote (TOBY @ Oct. 21 2007, 20:04)
Smoking kills people - Fact. Passive smoking kills people - Fact. Since the smoking ban was brought in here up in Scotland people are actually going out and enjoying sociable drinking without a) giving themselves lung cancer and b) coming home at the end of the night stinking of stale fag smoke. But people like Mike obviously like the idea of all that so thats ok then...

I don't smoke at all,I don't like it,but I hate to be a passive smoker when I'm at the nightclubs here in Brazil as well as in concerts.When you are at a restaurant,there are the smokers' aras well as the non-smokers area,while in bars,dance clubs and concert venues,smoking is allowed.

When I first read on the web that in England they were creating a law regarding smoking in closed places like in Scotland,I thought,"Mike Oldfield is going to get mad about it,since he smokes his rollups while he's in the pub and/or restaurant or whatever." I'm sure,from what I've read from that article,that the smoking ban wasn't the main reason for his decision to leave England,if it was just for that,he would have left earlier on.The choice of Spain? Maybe because he has got a good relationship with the country? It can be!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2007, 03:55

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Oct. 21 2007, 18:54)
Specifically about the smoking ban, well, smoking only directly harms the smoker himself - and if we were to ban all things that can harm its users, we'd have to ban literally everything - and the indirect harm to passive smokers can be reduced in other, very effective ways.

But what ways though? I'm sorry Sir M but its fairly ignorant to say passive smokers can only be harmed 'indirectly' by other smokers. I don't know about where you are in the world but here in Scotland (a country where people notoriously took their smoking/drinking habits seriously) lung cancer rates among non-smokers is frightening and research showed long ago that it can directly be attributed to passive smoking. A report recently published up here has said that the effect of the smoking ban on pub and club goers is already measurable. But as far as measuring the pros and cons of the smoking ban and speed cameras is concerned - come up with the realistic cons and I'll gladly listen, I'm not sure there's many unless you've got shares in a tobacco company or the 'I'm ok I'm a good careful driver' attitude towards speeding on the motorway.  

Jools - Mike admitted in an interview in 1989 that he's a Tory since 'the streets got so stinking under the last Labour government' (NME quote) This outburst plus the fact he's been photographed outside his large country pad wearing a cloth cap and Barbour jacket plus the fact he only seems to like appearing in the Mail on Sunday makes me think he probably isn't New Labour.
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2007, 05:49

mmmmmmm...very curious.

I think we are entering something of a nanny state here in the UK but I think it depends on your personal perception as to how you react to it.

Daily Mail readers may welcome it (no offence!;). Other people may feel they are spiritualy in touch and see the effects on a deeper level, maybe this is Mike or maybe this is just David Icke readers.

I think the smoking ban is a reflection of our continued reliance of government over community. We seem to be so disjointed from one another, (I know the names of six fictional characters living in appartments in New York but not the names of my next door neighbours). Why can't smokers simply ask "does anyone mind if I smoke?" and if the answer is no then smoke, if the answer is "yes I'm afraid I might get lung cancer" then the smoker take that into consideration and smoke outside. And there we have it, we are looking after each other, we are taking the inititive, not being led by some ponce in a suit who doesn't know the price of milk or the names of six fictional characters living in appartments in New York.

I say good luck to Mike, he has a view that he doesn't support so he is excercising his freedom to move somewhere else. Maybe he doesn't want the vast taxes he must pay to support a nanny state. Only problem is, this nanny state will probably spread to all corners of the globe eventually anyway. Countries are an illusion and all power is slowly being driven up the chain so the few can control the many.........

I'm sorry, this is the global conspiricies forum isn't it?!

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2007, 06:39

Hihihi, I wonder how that went through with Universal reps. "Hello, I know, yeah yeah, there's an album I put together, you know, I can't really promote it now you know? I need to move. Yes, it's because of a very important reason. Awfully important. See this smoking ban? I can't cope with that, not at all. Yeah, sorry you'll miss out on the Christmas market but you understand me right? Hallo? Hallo?"

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
timshen Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2007, 06:55

Ha! Ha! Ha! I like the way you put it Navaira :-)

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2007, 07:15

I'm sorry but Mike is a plonker. History shows He has been a plonker quite a few times already (camping in his garden to protest about the charts, saying he doesn't like certain types of music and then making those types of music:ie Dance, pop, acting like a teenager in Ibiza) He just seems to have fads on things and then moves onto something else. Helicopters, planes, bikes, women, houses, video studios, VR games, instruments, sequencing software, mixing consoles, etc etc.

Just when you think he is finaly settling down he's up again and off..........
Profile PM WEB 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Oct. 22 2007, 07:27

Quote (hairy old hippy @ Oct. 22 2007, 10:49)
Why can't smokers simply ask "does anyone mind if I smoke?" and if the answer is no then smoke, if the answer is "yes I'm afraid I might get lung cancer" then the smoker take that into consideration and smoke outside.

Yes, if we were all considerate people, with a selfless attitude that cared what other people thought, then yes it'd be fine. But how many smokers do you think will actually want to stand out in the rain just because their partner doesnt like the smell of their addiction?

That's basically what it comes down to. I agree with previous stipulations of it being a nanny state, and I think this has contributed to a selfish dog-eat-dog national spirit.

Ho hum.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
98 replies since Oct. 21 2007, 14:03 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (5) < [1] 2 3 4 5 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net