Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Question: MIKE OLDFIELD PLATINUM COLLECTION :: Total Votes:26
Poll choices Votes Statistics
1. Will be promoted by Virgin and chart well i.e top 40 2  [7.69%]
2. Will sneak into the top 75 but with no promotion. 12  [46.15%]
3. Will have no promotion, but will also fail to capture the public imagination and bomb out at #150-200!!!!! 12  [46.15%]
Guests cannot vote

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: MIKE OLDFIELD PLATINUM COLLECTION, CHART HIT...OR BARGAIN BIN? UK ONLY< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
simmo2005 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 19 2006, 09:00

Just wanted to find out how people think the new compilation is likely to do in terms of chart sucess- please note I have aimed this at the UK chart (no offense to anyone outside UK!!;)

Bear in mind that M.O has not had an album that has 'charted' since TB2003 (#51) and Guitars before that (#40)
But also bear in mind that his Elements retrospective charted at the heady heights of #5 - but that was 13 years ago!!!!!!

Thanks for taking part!!!
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Jan. 19 2006, 09:03

UK sales rank right now (on Amazon.com) is 1,045. I think that's rather decent for something that is not to be released for another 7 or so weeks.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Deadcalm Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Jan. 19 2006, 09:15

Be Wary of the Amazon pre release chart just a few sales
can rocket it up or Down.. only gets serious with the top 10
I think !! ;)
Profile PM 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2006, 16:00

It will sink without trace and never be seen again. :(
Unless it,s promoted to death i can,t see any reason why anyone other than MO fans would buy,and i don,t think it will be somehow do you ?
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2006, 16:47

I'm not so sure what to think about this...
Sure it's nice that some extended versions will be put onto cd, but I think a great compilation would be
a. as commercial as possible (with all the hits in radio version and lots of promotion), or,
b. a very obscure but great collection for fans only (extended versions, b-sides and live/unreleased stuff

I think that if it's something in between these two, then both parties will be a bit disappointed.
But it would be great if this will inspire some new fans, and if his work will get some attention.

But the artwork is nothing compared to Complete!! They could have chosen some nice designs from this site  :cool:

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
4 replies since Jan. 19 2006, 09:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net