Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike Oldfield on The Big Show Thursday Feb 22< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Jools Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 01 2006, 17:40

Mike's sales are well in excess of 25 million - somewhere between 40-50 million I think, according to the information I've come across.
Profile PM 
Jerome C Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2006, 17:48

Mmmmm... I'm sorry to be the bad mood one, but it seems to me it's not the first time he does the "I wanna tour again" and "let's do a new masterpiece all instrumental like in the old times"... it reminds me of older interviews, like before L&S, or before 3L...

It doesn't necessarily mean he does not really think this when he says it (though you could think about "promotion", for example). It just means he has always been so inconsistent in his public declarations. Sometimes it's provocation, sometimes he just changes his mind ! And he does it often...

I once read him saying "Amarok is a little piece of crap I did in a rush, really a foolish thing, I don't like it" [not his own words, but really the idea] several years ago. I was really angry at him when I read that, but then I thought to myself : oh well, he has just said so many opposite things in his life, not a big deal.

:/

--------------
Jerome C
(long time out of here, but always having MO in mind somewhere)
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2006, 03:50

Aren't people allowed to change their mind?

Maybe he initially thought that about Amarok because of it's sales rank, but after hearing how much praise it'd received from the fans, it changed his mind. Isn't it about what other people see in your work, not what you think of it yourself?

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Horse Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2006, 03:40

Well,
Maybe he actually thinks that Amarok is pure crap. And that's fair with me. When the Tubular Bells demos was released it turned out, that some of the Amarok themes were infact Tubular Bells outtakes. So, if Amarok consists of outtakes and snips and bits that didn't fit in anywhere else, I can understand why he might consider it being trash. To my ears, it's beautiful!
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2006, 13:34

Mike doesn't think Amarok is crap, he knows fine well how great it is, especially his playing on it. He's said he thinks some of it utterly naive, but there in lies its charm, he's missing the point of why his music works on that level - and not for the first time.
I think he probably gets fed up of us fans telling him how wonderful it is and how all is albums should sound like it, I reckon he deliberately wants to ruffle feathers. Its the opposite with the Millennium Bell, he knows fine well that a lot of people, including people close to him, think its a rushed and overblown album and yet he has said he thinks its his best work, there's an obvious and rather insecure psychological game being played out if you ask me.
Profile PM 
Korkesova Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2006, 13:44

I think - for me AMAROK is splendid - when I have mood for AMAROK. L+S is for me splendid - when have mood for L+S. AMAROK versus L+S they are similar good for different moods. Mikes music have lot of moods, feelings and emotions.
I understand not why someone criticise new albums. I think, Mike says diferents thought, hi live in style depresion- mania but when he is writing music it is so true genuine, he is writing with candidd conviction, that music is good. He must be very sad and confused if he read our opinions. i believe we are indifferent for him - he oblige by all not. I am lucky i can listen his music because I know it is always nice for me.

--------------
it's never too late for me
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2006, 06:16

Quote (Andrew H @ Mar. 01 2006, 09:26)
Quote (The Big BellEnd @ Feb. 27 2006, 03:37)
...the butler out of the Addam's family...

Pardon?    :/

I think he means the photos with Mike and Christopher von Deylen. Christopher is sort of a big guy. ;)

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2006, 06:45

He must be very sad and confused if he read our opinions

I don't know about sad, but Mike strikes me as a fairly confused person, his music certainly has been recently.
Profile PM 
Craig Evans Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2006, 08:29

Quote (BTH @ Feb. 23 2006, 11:41)
He also talked about why he is getting rid of his guitars
It will be sad to see all of the other guitars go.

Quote (BTH @ Feb. 23 2006, 11:41)
Apparently the only one left is the TB Stratocaster - he pointedly said he'd though tBranson might have bought it "The guitar that launched an empire" and all that!!
The only Fender guitar on "Tubular Bells 1" was a Telecaster instead of a Stratocaster.  :)  :)

--------------
"It is good to be on Horseback" - Mike Oldfield "On Horseback"

"(Insert "The Thunderstorm" here)"
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2006, 11:01

Quote (TOBY @ Mar. 04 2006, 11:45)
Mike strikes me as a fairly confused person

Aren't we all? The only difference is that some people know they're confused, and others don't; or at least, the people who aren't confused only seem to be not confused because they've walled off a whole heap of the kind of human experience that confuses us.

Hope I haven't confused anyone.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2006, 11:04

Now I am confused, what way is up?
Profile PM 
MikeAholic Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2006, 12:44

Quote (TOBY @ Mar. 04 2006, 17:04)
Now I am confused, what way is up?

Oh, that's easy: if you are European - that way, if you are Australian - the other way  :laugh:

--------------
I sure hope that Mike realises what joy he brings to us !
Profile PM WEB 
111 replies since Feb. 22 2006, 21:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net