Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike Oldfield on The Big Show Thursday Feb 22< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Alan D Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 23 2006, 15:26

Quote (The Bell(end) @ Feb. 23 2006, 19:46)
but I do give L+S a spin every so often

Actually I gave it a spin myself after writing that last post! So there y'go!
Profile PM 
Deadcalm Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Feb. 23 2006, 15:51

Nice little Interview I guess that was better than some you
get these days ... Wright andJonathon Ross do a lot of interupting the flow of things I normally find.. This Guy at
least let Mike talk freely.. The 3 Long piece Mike was talking
about was the big point raised I guess.., Funny though the last thing he did to a Long piece ie TB 2003 was to segment it!! He sort of hinted the Platinum thing wasnt his idea but he OK ed it .. well thats how i got the drift.. Like others said
no mention of L&S which I guess is understandable ...On wards and Upwards then  !! :D
Profile PM 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2006, 16:03

Quote (The Bell(end) @ Feb. 23 2006, 15:02)
Quote (hergest fridge @ Feb. 23 2006, 19:58)
Only one complaint ,why oh why do they only play t,bells and moonlight shadow?he,s made other records you know!

They played what people would remember, to be fair. They also played other tracks too...... so it's not much of a complaint.

That,s me told off then.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2006, 16:16

Quote (hiawatha @ Feb. 23 2006, 13:09)
....which appears to imply that  L + S didn't sell because it was bad. There are many who will dispute the idea that L + S is bad.

I don't mean that L+S is objectively bad. I just think that when he sees that the thing he's doing at the moment isn't selling, he tries something completely different. Remember Amarok? Mike has openly complained about how Amarok is his least selling record, so he did one filler album and then TBII (an obviously populist move!;).

All I can hope is that Mike forgets about topping the charts and accepts that he's a cult artist that doesn't have to sell millions of records each year.

And I feel warm and weird inside when I think of the music he *is* capable of making. And I'm also sure it will be his best album since the 80s, just from the description.

Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2006, 16:56

Quote (hergest fridge @ Feb. 23 2006, 21:03)
Only one complaint ,why oh why do they only play t,bells and moonlight shadow?he,s made other records you know!

They played what people would remember, to be fair. They also played other tracks too...... so it's not much of a complaint.

That's me told off then.

hehe, sorry!

I meant it wasn't a bad complaint :)

If Mike had constantly barked and spat onto the microphone, that would be cause for a major complaint, whereas your's is minor.

Sometimes I feel that putting a smile at the end would make all the difference ;)

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
designer Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2006, 16:59

This is good news from Mike. I cant wait for this piece of music, and hope I get the opportunity to see at least one concert.  :)  :)  :)
Profile PM 
jeremyroberts Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2006, 17:13

Good news, but I'm not holding my breath about that album.
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2006, 17:17

Quote (jeremyroberts @ Feb. 23 2006, 22:13)
Good news, but I'm not holding my breath about that album.

If you did you'd die.........

P.S Welcome back Jeremy! :D Ol' chum ;)

Don't start speculating now people, it was bad enough with L+S, but this is up to 3 years before it's release.

DON'T!!!

I'm buying it, that's all I'm saying on the matter.

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2006, 17:29

Heard the interview and it is still processing in my my mind...but I'm very very happy that Mike has found deep from his heart what he's good at and that would result in good things  ;)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2006, 17:29

Quote (The Bell(end) @ Feb. 23 2006, 16:56)
Quote (hergest fridge @ Feb. 23 2006, 21:03)

That's me told off then.

hehe, sorry!

I meant it wasn't a bad complaint :)

If Mike had constantly barked and spat onto the microphone, that would be cause for a major complaint, whereas your's is minor.

Sometimes I feel that putting a smile at the end would make all the difference ;)

Perhaps it was a bit of a moan :)
It just annoys me that every time Mike is interviewed it,s the same tracks played.I know their the tracks that none Oldfield fans know,but once in a while play something different.(moan over)
Anyway it was a good interview ,and it seems we have alot to look forward to. :cool:
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2006, 18:50

oh my.. it sounds great what he said about the new album, a long instrumental in three parts, being just him... that's really the dream! and then, also a tour, how many good news..  i hope he doesn't change mind.

i must say that i missed some news about a new game, but i understand he wouldn't like to mix things since on the interview he was promoting the platinum collection and giving an advance of his new project.

can't wait to that new album!!

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
monie Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2006, 19:39

Mike previously mentioned that he had three years to complete his next piece of music.
The three parts he mentioned today might possibly be his next three albums and not three seperate parts of the same album, perhaps following the tradition of his first three. Keep our fingers crossed……
   :)
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2006, 20:14

not bad idea..
Will it be 3 cd album next? ha ha  :p

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2006, 20:27

Quote (TOBY @ Feb. 23 2006, 15:24)
My super ironic prediction about this new project is that by making an album that isn't TRYING to be 'hip' or 'sexy' Mike actually makes his most hip and sexy album since Ommadawn - I'll look forward to it.

Unbelievable! Mike sounded so confident and so sure of himself, more relaxed than I have ever heard him before, and yet he STILL does not realise that the early stuff from the 70's and what he is working on now IS his most hip, sexy and cool stuff, even though he himself personally prefers it. He has allowed the media and promoters to dictate to him what is cool. He even admitted the Platinum Collection would have been more interesting if some of the more (what was the word he used?) unusual stuff was in it. Why can't Mike select his own tracks for a Compilation Album? This is WAY too much excitement for me in one day. First I discover that Mike got to Number 1 in the Worlds Greatest Guitarists Poll (Did anyone tell him?) and now that he is working on the ulitmate album. I HATE Moonlight Shadow, Portsmouth, In Dulci Jubilo, Pictures in the Dark, etc. This is what makes him UNCOOL and this is what attracts the nerdy fan base (I apologise profusely but this is my humble opinion) and if you took ALL that crap away and were only left with TB, HR, Incantations, Ommadawn, Amarok, SODE, TBII, and hopefully this new piece, and someone with half a brain to promote it properly, then Mike would have GOT the recognition he deserved ALL along without having to compromise himself and write crappy commercial ditties.

THANK YOU JAN, I LOVE YOU

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 

Posted: Feb. 24 2006, 08:04

Quote (TubularBelle @ Feb. 23 2006, 22:27)
Unbelievable! Mike sounded so confident and so sure of himself, more relaxed than I have ever heard him before, and yet he STILL does not realise that the early stuff from the 70's and what he is working on now IS his most hip, sexy and cool stuff, even though he himself personally prefers it.

I wished that webcam from BBC's Radio 2 studios were working while Mike was there,just to see him speaking all those things we know now,his expression...it's a different Mike I've noticed,more confident like you said and now he knows what he does best.Yippie!!!!!

I feel excited with the long instrumental work he's working on.He did in an ab fab way with Amarok(which is my fav MO album) after a series of "pop" albums,and now he has just returning back to his roots again.I'm sure that we're all going to be happy when it comes out...

For me,Mike is cool,hip and sexy being who he really is.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2006, 08:40

you could really feel his anger to (while talking about Tubular Bells)  ;)
Anger is a inspiration to make music..

But its quite strange that they did not mention Light and shade..
The radio man should maybe ask one question or told us about it. Sounded like L+S was released 5 years ago..
They actually talked about tres lunas instead.
I dont think L+S is a bad album, but surely, there should been something more to do with it. The album is so everything i feel.
I think the title Light and shade confused me.
But thats all, is good music and 70% is very good..
Its is not his worst and not his best, but a good album.

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2006, 09:14

*crosses fingers for another superb, amarok class album*

*keeps crossing fingers for a concert in Belgium or the Netherlands*

Seriously, if I ever want to see him live, I'd better not let that tour skip, right?  It's not like he's 21...(I am :D )
Profile PM 
Legend Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2006, 09:25

Whatelse can I say but "THANK YOU, MIKE!". Denmark welcomes you!!
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2006, 10:05

Quote (Tubularman @ Feb. 24 2006, 08:40)
about it. Sounded like L+S was released 5 years ago..
They actually talked about tres lunas instead.
I dont think L+S is a bad album, but surely, there should been something more to do with it. The album is so everything i feel.

Is it just me, or is it like Mike AND Mercury are treating L + S like some sort of "contractual obligation" album, that is dumped on the market and forgotten, unpromoted?

Usually, these sort of things occur at the end of someone's contract with a record company. Not at the very beginning.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 

Posted: Feb. 24 2006, 11:06

Quote (hiawatha @ Feb. 24 2006, 12:05)
Is it just me, or is it like Mike AND Mercury are treating L + S like some sort of "contractual obligation" album, that is dumped on the market and forgotten, unpromoted?

What I've heard that L+S was the third album that Mike had to launch on his 3-record deal with Warner Spain...

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
111 replies since Feb. 22 2006, 21:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net