Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike Oldfield on The Big Show Thursday Feb 22< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Miguel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 25 2006, 15:06

Quote (Tubularman @ Feb. 23 2006, 12:01)
mike on radio today in bbc2 :)

:D  :D

Thank you so much Tubularman!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 I must be dreaming....He's going back to the 70's, and with no freaking drum loops???????????????
 Oh Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!
 :D  :D
Profile PM 
Tas Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2006, 21:35

over the moon to hear what he said on the radio!

back to basics, and doing what we love mike for innitially.

News of a long instrumental three part album with temp changes, etc has made me feel really good!

Welcome back Mike!
Profile PM 
Korkesova Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2006, 14:31

Ahoj all !
:)
I'm very much  looking forward to Mikes biography and especially his new music !
My sense - new music will certainly delicate titbit !  :p
Return to 70. years -  thank goodness- return to music his sincerity feelings, because frank with himself ,  confidence
and divine  imagination =  miracle  composition !

I send   to all of us  - very very much  inspiration, lucky chance, love and  health.
Thank you,  Mike !

I'm a busy-body !

--------------
it's never too late for me
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2006, 14:44

At last, Mike gave an interview where he didn't rattle on about his "unhappy childhood".

He seems like he cannot settle and be consistant which is why he keeps moving house, changing cars, hobbies, instruments , genres of music and even partners in the past.

I also hope this new album will be him doing what he does best like he did on Amarok, an album I feel is a work of genius. Go for it Mike! ! ! :D
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2006, 15:45

Just listened to the interview. Thank you very much for putting this online TubularMan!!  :)

Sounds cool this news. What was that thing the interviewer and Mike were talking about in the beginning? This 8 pounds, 10 pounds, 15 pounds thing? Did Mike forget to pay his VAT or something?  :p

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Posted: Feb. 26 2006, 17:37

Has mike moved since those photo's of him and the butler out of the Addam's family in his garden were published.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
Starwatcher Offline

Posted: Feb. 27 2006, 07:38

All I read here in this place sounds really great, can hardly believe it!!!
:)

Unfortunately I don't have the technical capacity to load the interview down (as audio). Will there perhaps be a script of the whole interview as download?  That would be great!!!

--------------
"...but every while I would remember..."
Profile PM 
hergestbridge Offline

Posted: Feb. 27 2006, 08:26

On the new long pieces, I'd really like to hear some oboe.

And Mike's bass playing never seems to get the credit it deserves - check out the Whole world stuff - so some melodic bass runs to make the hairs on your neck stand up.

Let's hear it for symphonic beauty.
Profile PM 
Ludor Tudor Offline

Posted: Feb. 27 2006, 10:11

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ Feb. 26 2006, 21:45)
Sounds cool this news. What was that thing the interviewer and Mike were talking about in the beginning? This 8 pounds, 10 pounds, 15 pounds thing? Did Mike forget to pay his VAT or something?  :p

When you drive a car into London, you have to pay during the rush-hours. And the longer you wait to pay, the higher the price gets. That's the answer to your question  :p

--------------
Kjell at oldfield.no
Why don't you have a try to win at the competition?
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Feb. 27 2006, 11:51

download the interview here  :cool:

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
amazarak Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2006, 08:20

Quote (Olivier @ Feb. 23 2006, 03:10)
Mike said he is working on a very long instrumental, probably in 3 parts without any drum loops. A tour might follow.

IMHO very few things in music suck more than automated percussion (depends a bit on genre, of course). Great news.

A tour? I hope he'll visit us in Poland :/

cheerz
amazarak

--------------
Just hold your heading true
Got to get your finest out
Profile PM 
Sonilink Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2006, 13:52

héhé, Mike may working on his ultimate masterpiece!

--------------
Take the Time
Profile PM 
Deadcalm Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Feb. 28 2006, 14:50

He also reinforced his Opinion he didnt like the Original
TB1 Album ie the sound quality.. So Im still expecting
the next Opus will be a Computer enhanced studio effort
of sorts combned wih traditional playing ... ;)
Profile PM 
Jools Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2006, 14:52

This is clearly great news but to be honest I'm not that surprised. I have a feeling that there have been ideas for a long complex piece gestating for a while. There was mention a few years ago of an experimental piece using quarter tones and pre-Light and Shade he was toying with the idea of a long intrumental in 70's vein which was abandoned (temporarily it seems) for being "regressive" (was this really Mike's view I wonder?) . And Mike does have a track record of returing to the long format, coherent whole style of composition. (witness Amarok, TB2 and TSoDE in his second golden age).
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Feb. 28 2006, 17:29

Hmm, not sure I'd say TSODE was part of Mike's 'long play' discography for me though I guess its based on a recognisable theme which it does develop (though only marginally)

Its the fact that Mike is well capable of blowing utter hot air that makes me tread carefully around this new project. He is after all very famous for saying one thing and doing another. Part of isn't holding my breath though another is thinking that he actually means what he says this time, I truly think he knows that going back to his roots, musically, is the best place for him now, he's done everything else with varying degrees of success. I'm thinking and hoping that L+S represented a learnt lesson for him.
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Mar. 01 2006, 03:26

Quote (The Big BellEnd @ Feb. 27 2006, 03:37)
...the butler out of the Addam's family...

Pardon?    :/
Trinidad Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2006, 08:46

A long instrumental?? Without drum loops?? Yeees!! I never expected that!

If Mike works hard all theese 3 years, I don't have any problem to wait so much.

:)  :)  :)  :)  :)
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2006, 13:33

Quote (Sonilink @ Feb. 28 2006, 13:52)
héhé, Mike may working on his ultimate masterpiece!

Someone wondered about Mike being unhappy with the low sales of Amarok.  I assume that is because he (as well as many of us) thought it was one of his best pieces. As a devoted musican he has a lot of pride for those creations he thinks are best, and if there is very little response on them (relative to some of his other work) that feels kind of irritating.  Of course I can't read his mind, but I think that played more of a roll than money in him feeling sad about the low sales.  I think we should read low sales as low interest (no, not the money kind of "interest" :D).

And to the person comparing MO's sales with those of Madonna: 250.000.000 vs 25.000.000

OK she still has sold 10 times as many records in less time (unless one of the figures counts singles while the other one does not, but singles do not count for more than 15.000.000 at max), but still 25.000.000 is a huge number to me :).
Profile PM 
Man From The Moon Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2006, 16:01

It is obvious - simple "boob-boom" record is more popular than instrumental music, it's normal. Mozart is not able to sell as much albums as Madonna. It dosen't mean, that Madonna's "boom-boom" is better than "Little Night Music".  Numbers don't mean anything.
Profile PM 
amazarak Offline

Posted: Mar. 01 2006, 17:23

To avoid any limits on "yousendit", I've put the file with the interview here.

have fun
amazarak

--------------
Just hold your heading true
Got to get your finest out
Profile PM 
111 replies since Feb. 22 2006, 21:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net