Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (6) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike Oldfield on The Big Show Thursday Feb 22< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Afgyhi Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 23 2006, 12:42

Gosh! This sounds really wonderfull and interesting! Mike sounded so positive too in this interview!!  :D

--------------
Crises! Crises!!
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2006, 12:46

Quote (larstangmark @ Feb. 23 2006, 17:31)
I don't mean to be cynical, but I think what's happened is that he's seen the sales figures of Light and Shade.

But hell I'm looking forward to hearing that album he's talking about!

Lars T

Do you honestly think that's all he cares about?

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2006, 12:58

I certainly hope the sales figures of L+S kicked him up the arse and made him realise he should stick to what he's good at, pity its taken him  so much longer than his fans to realise this but he's only in his mid 50's and even L+S proved he's still capable of writing good melodies. I have no doubt in my mind that this new work will be utterly glorious because every other attempt he's made at writing long instrumentals has been utterly glorious.

I wouldn't get to excited just yet though, we could be a couple of years from any release date. Can't wait for the book though.
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2006, 13:06

Quote (arron11196 @ Feb. 23 2006, 17:46)
Quote (larstangmark @ Feb. 23 2006, 17:31)
I don't mean to be cynical, but I think what's happened is that he's seen the sales figures of Light and Shade.

Lars T

Do you honestly think that's all he cares about?

mmmm... well I didnt until he advertised the Tele for sale today.  Now theres no chance I'll be able to get it!!  But don't hold your breaths for the new album.  He also said he has three years to work on it (although he didnt say that today!;).

Interesting to see he's moving back closer to Hergest Ridge (he said west country) that includes Gloucester, which is where he used to live.  It is about 45 mins drive (ish) from Hergest Ridge which is in near Kington and Knighton, but you probably know that.

I went there once on my first motobike in 1980 just to have a look.

So he's bought a Japaneese Tele.  That's interesting, he said because it was accurate.  So which Japaneses company would that be from then.

http://www.guitarcrazy.com.au/FenT1952RI_2002.htm

perhaps one of these?

Ray

Ray

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2006, 13:06

Just heard the interview!
Lovely to hear!  :)  

There's a lot of good things to come for us fans!

And now, I should be going back to homework  :/

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2006, 13:09

Quote (larstangmark @ Feb. 23 2006, 12:31)

Lars T

....which appears to imply that  L + S didn't sell because it was bad. There are many who will dispute the idea that L + S is bad.

It doesn't take into account the terrible promotion of L + S:

- different release dates in different countries... encouraging piracy.
- different releases of bonus tracks in different places (also encouraging piracy: "Hey, the only way I can get this one now is to download an illicit digital copy: might as well download the whole thing."
- I gave up trying to find the thing on Mercury's web site
- an apparent total lack of any sort of promotion.
- no tour?

I blame all but the last one on his record label.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
BTH Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Feb. 23 2006, 13:11

He really did sound passionate to me... Heres a couple of direct quotes for anyone who hasn't heard it:

In response to a question about touring again, Mike says he wants to have something "tourable" before he goes out again:

"Im working on a piece of music - it's going to be a very long instrumental, probably going to be in 3 parts - gonna be like a piece of classical music... Its not gonna have any drum loops, its not gonna have any... It's not gonn be cool, it's not gonna be hip, it's not gonna be sexy.
It's just simply going to be me making MY kind of music, you know...
I want to do a proper... real live concert again, you know.
I want to kind of recapture what I started out trying to do back in the 70's..."

By this stage I'm getting shivers!
He's interrupted by the interviewer going on about Moonlight Shadow etc but he soon goes back to the theme:

"I think when people want to come and see a concert they want to sit down and really get in, listen to something thats special, thats got a lot of detail, thats got a lot of work gone into it, got dynamics, highs and lows, tempo changes you know slowing down, speeding up.
It's a great big landscape rather than one block thats all the same from start to finish"

I get the impression that he was actually still talking about his new work, or at least his aspiration for it at this point. And it's at this point that I just had such a great feeling that whatever he does now really will be excellent! Totally irrational but that how listening to the interview, even for the second time, made me feel!

--------------
Tá mé an amadán ag cheoil...
Profile PM 
Salocin51 Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2006, 13:19

Profile PM WEB 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2006, 13:23

Thank you Mike!! (insert many exclamation marks here)

Thank you Kay!

The book, and this! UBER DUBER I SAY :D

And I haven't even heard the interview yet :)

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2006, 13:31

Quote (The Bell(end) @ Feb. 23 2006, 13:23)
The book, and this! UBER DUBER I SAY :D

where's the MOVIE?

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Ostach Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2006, 13:31

Oh, it's such a good news :) really love to hear it.

I like what he is saying about the tour... maybe in a year or two we'll see him on tour :D

--------------
I stay
I pray
See you in heaven one day...
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2006, 14:34

On top of the shock announcement of what the next album would be like, two things stood out for me:

1. No mention of Light and Shade, even though it's the most recent album - as though it wasn't really anywhere in his thoughts ..... maybe he's forgotten it as quickly as I have.

2. When MusicVR was mentioned, he quickly diverted the discussion to motorbikes. Sounds like bad news for us MVR freaks.
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2006, 14:46

Good observations Alan :) but I do give L+S a spin every so often, as I love 'Sunset' and my Mum likes all of the Light tracks.

I just heard the interview, excellent!! I also liked the interviewer....... which isn't exactly a regular occurence.

Shame they didn't have the mandolin ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2006, 14:52

concept of what!  what the hell are they talking about!\

my favourite bit!  R :D

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2006, 14:58

He sounded in good form and happy.Good news about the next album and possible tour :D
Only one complaint ,why oh why do they only play t,bells and moonlight shadow?he,s made other records you know!
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Feb. 23 2006, 15:00

hes really back now Ray  ;)

And Alan.. I had that thought too he he..
Better to have a bloody good new album and tour, but a game would not hurt either..
:cool:

one question..

do the link still work??

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2006, 15:02

Quote (hergest fridge @ Feb. 23 2006, 19:58)
Only one complaint ,why oh why do they only play t,bells and moonlight shadow?he,s made other records you know!

They played what people would remember, to be fair. They also played other tracks too...... so it's not much of a complaint.

--------------
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Feb. 23 2006, 15:06

it seems to me that mike is tired of up tempo drum loops techno songs. Like the way he talked about concert. He really dont like people dance and jump, but to sit and listen and listen to his music  :zzz:

maybe he have a idea there..

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2006, 15:17

Fantastic!
Only bad thing about this is that I cant wait patiently!
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Feb. 23 2006, 15:24

I still think the reason L+S wasn't promoted by Mercury was that it was, well, by and large....shit, and they knew it.

Anyway I laughed when I heard Mike talk about live performances using computers as Karaoke... and he sould know - Berlin anyone? Still I guess these things are sometimes out with his control.

I still think the Platinum collection could be a million times better and not with much extra imagination or effort, just a semi decent album cover and some thought gone into the track listing and running order.

My super ironic pridiction about this new project is that by making an album that isn't TRYING to be 'hip' or 'sexy' Mike actually makes his most hip and sexy album since Ommadawn - I'll look forward to it.
Profile PM 
111 replies since Feb. 22 2006, 21:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net