Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike Oldfield on The Big Show Thursday Feb 22< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Feb. 24 2006, 14:00

Hmm maybe.. I think i have heard that too..
But how can we find out?
With warner spain he had 3 albums?? right??
That must be "Tres Lunas, "Tb 2003" and "Light and shade"..
But i thought he had contract with warner spain when he released "Voyager"..

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
The Big BellEnd Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 24 2006, 14:22

During the interview mike said he was now living in the wild wild rootin tootin string vest west, turnip's for breakfast marry your sister ooh aar string for a belt women with moustache's asbo capital of the UK, but where. Don't say Wilstshire unless you have slept with assorted barnyard creature's.

--------------
I, ON THE OTHER HAND. AM A VICTIM OF YOUR CARNIVOUROUS LUNAR ACTIVITY.
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2006, 14:25

Wiltshire :D

or did I get the wrong idea?

I'm in Wiltshire anyhoo, it rawks ;)

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2006, 15:16

I'm still confused - Mike was promoting a Virgin release, rather than his latest album on his current label.

Would Virgin have asked him to do this, or some kind of agent? If Mike is willing to promote another collection of old stuff, why not the current work?

Could it be negative press and/or fan comments about the newer L&S/TSODE style have made him look back in fondness at his old works? or perhaps doing the autobiography?

Either way, so long as he doesn't really take 3 years to come up with the "long-form" album, and then tours it. It's the best news for many years.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2006, 19:31

Quote (TOBY @ Feb. 23 2006, 20:24)
I still think the Platinum collection could be a million times better and not with much extra imagination or effort, just a semi decent album cover and some thought gone into the track listing and running order.

My super ironic pridiction about this new project is that by making an album that isn't TRYING to be 'hip' or 'sexy' Mike actually makes his most hip and sexy album since Ommadawn - I'll look forward to it.

Agreed the Platinum Collection could've been much better, but as Mike mentioned he didn't get as much sway over the track listing as he would've liked.  I'd like to see the inclusion of many more rarities, Mike Oldfield's Single (Theme From Tubular Bells),Froggy, Women of Ireland (Lurker Mix), Mike's Reel,Cook's Tune,Guilty 12",Blue Peter (longer ending),In Dulci Jubilo (for Maureen),to name just a few :).

Mike doesn't need to try and be cool, hip or sexy, he just  IS naturally  ;) .

Looking forward to the autobiography, the album and tour, however far off they maybe.Still have new job starting Tuesday, strange to start on a Tuesday and not a Monday :/ , still gives me chance to start saving upsome money.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2006, 20:44

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Feb. 24 2006, 21:31)
Mike doesn't need to try and be cool, hip or sexy, he just  IS naturally  ;) .

Looking forward to the autobiography, the album and tour, however far off they maybe.Still have new job starting Tuesday, strange to start on a Tuesday and not a Monday :/ , still gives me chance to start saving upsome money.

He is hip,cool and sexy the way I do like a lot  :cool:

And I'm also working hard to save some cash - 2 jobs + university - you'll never know what's waiting for you in terms of concerts,as well my MSc plan  ;)

And why Mike has to promote L+S if he doesn't feel confortable in doing it so? I don't think it's a sales case as well as the fans' critics.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Feb. 24 2006, 22:47

Quote (olracUK @ Feb. 24 2006, 15:16)
I'm still confused - Mike was promoting a Virgin release, rather than his latest album on his current label.

Would Virgin have asked him to do this, or some kind of agent? If Mike is willing to promote another collection of old stuff, why not the current work?

Could it be negative press and/or fan comments about the newer L&S/TSODE style have made him look back in fondness at his old works? or perhaps doing the autobiography?

Either way, so long as he doesn't really take 3 years to come up with the "long-form" album, and then tours it. It's the best news for many years.

You are so insightfull Andy, but If I recall he didn't start the conversation about the Platinum Collection, the interviewer did, and Mike obviously has little to do with those compilation sets so he wasn't promoting it, just answering questions. He admitted himself if could have been much better.

I hadn't thought about him finishing his autobiography (He did say it was finished didn't he?) but I think it could be a reason for him going back to his roots, nostalgia is a very strong thing, esp after you hit 50. It's confusing because if he himself prefers that style as he said, what other reason would he have been swayed to do other things other than money or thinking his 'old' music is not cool and his 'new' music is. He is so UNCOOL when he tries to be COOL, I am picturing him on stage in those tight pants with the camera focused on his crotch, with short dorky hair and those ridiculous dance moves and face pulling while playing Guilty in the Exposed dvd. But when he is just himself, just follows his own path, he is the COOLEST guy in town. Does he ever list the albums with songs and ditties on them as his favourites?

If we have to wait 3 years then we have to wait. At least this time our anticipation may pay off. But be carefull not to over anticipate like we all did with Light and Shade.

Need to get a job and start saving some money for the tour, esp if the girls are going to be there, see you there Galadriel and Tati.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2006, 03:09

Aha! Mike said "I've just finished working on a Biography, a autobiography..." meaning HIS involvement is finished, maybe not that the book is complete and ready for sale! :)

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
CuNimb Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2006, 03:53

Happy days are here again! :D  :D  :D  :D

--------------
Happy? ha ha ha....
Profile PM 
Deadcalm Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2006, 04:20

Maybe filling 3 CDs as indicated may sound a awesome Task.
But I think these longer pieces if thats the "Plan" may infact
be easier to complete than something where youve got to come up with say 20 unrelated Tks... He said its going to be
like a Classics type concept idea... Ahh its all speculation
lol... I think Mikes got a basic idea in mind but time will tell
what he finally decides to bring out ...  ;)
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2006, 07:46

Quote (olracUK @ Feb. 24 2006, 20:16)

I do wonder if Mike does secretly lurk on TubularBoard, reading all our comments. I'm sure he does.

Didn't Mike say himself that he thought Ommadawn Part 1 was his greatest guitar moment,I couldn't agree more :D.   I would rate TSODE at possibly no.6 in my top 10 favourite of  Mike's albums. Regarding L&S initially I was a bit sceptikal ofthe Vocaloid vocals, but I do generally like the album.  
I'm so glad Mike has decided to return to his '70's instrumentals for his new album, long instrumentals are definitely NOT too '70's. Long instrumentals are what I feel IMHO that Mike does best :D.  Well there'll be some GREAT Oldfield years ahead of us.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2006, 08:29

We all remember that recently he has changed some stuff from his studio,sold lots of things,and what's on my mind that his new work will be created using this new tech.

Any guesses?

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2006, 08:45

It's worth remembering that he recently shovelled all his instruments out of the door, and now most of his guitars; so whatever the big new work turns out to be, presumably a lot of it is going to be software-centred (makes it sound like a kind of chocolate).

[I'm sorry Tati - I see that's exactly what you said about 15 minutes ago. My apologies.]
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2006, 09:04

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Feb. 25 2006, 14:29)
We all remember that recently he has changed some stuff from his studio,sold lots of things,and what's on my mind that his new work will be created using this new tech.

It's an interesting question whether Fruity Loops is capable of (or rather, feels comfortable for) doing a long musical piece without any drum loops and all. I think he'd use Logic more for the task. According to his description though, he doesn't plan to have drums at all in the recording unless he uses some Groove Agent VSTi or collaborate with a drummer. But for a classical style piece it's not necessary, of course. :)

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
timshen Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2006, 09:23

Wooo hooo! This is exciting news  :D I get the feeling this is what most of us here have been waiting to hear. But, of course, Mike can often do the complete opposite of what he says  :cool:

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2006, 10:30

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Feb. 25 2006, 12:46)
Quote (olracUK @ Feb. 24 2006, 20:16)

I do wonder if Mike does secretly lurk on TubularBoard, reading all our comments. I'm sure he does.

Didn't Mike say himself that he thought Ommadawn Part 1 was his greatest guitar moment,I couldn't agree more :D.   I would rate TSODE at possibly no.6 in my top 10 favourite of  Mike's albums. Regarding L&S initially I was a bit sceptikal ofthe Vocaloid vocals, but I do generally like the album.  
I'm so glad Mike has decided to return to his '70's instrumentals for his new album, long instrumentals are definitely NOT too '70's. Long instrumentals are what I feel IMHO that Mike does best :D.  Well there'll be some GREAT Oldfield years ahead of us.

I thought it was common knowledge that he visits occasionally.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2006, 11:08

im sure he is here around..
Surfing im surfng he sings  ;)
so why not here?

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Ian Too Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2006, 11:37

Like most of you here, I am absolutely delighted by the news. When Mike talked about the new music I whooped with joy and the news carried me throught the following twelve hour night shift.

It seems to me that this interview was a statement of intent from Mike. That - as he has said - writing his autobiography has made him examine exactly who he is and what he wants to do with his music.

I predict that this is the start of a golden age for us fans. Mike may never sell like Madonna, but as our growing excitement percolates out, it will generate new interest in his music and he will gain the respect he deserves.

Mike has such a strong personality, that I have complete confidence in his ability to stop the rot in his career and produce truely phenomenal music. Music which cannot be bounded, which liberates both its creator and listeners.

Thank you Mike for giving me reason to be positive about you again and I hope this turning point in your life will give you the happiness and more importantly the self-respect you deserve.

--------------
(-: Ian :-)

Currently reading:
What Remains to be Discovered by John Maddox
Also doing far too much decorating than is good for one :)
Profile PM WEB 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2006, 13:33

Mike must have seen the exposed DVD and thought"god i was bloody good,i,ll go back to that". :D
Profile PM 
sallyangie Offline

Posted: Feb. 25 2006, 15:06

I have been reading everyones posts since Mike did the interview and my feeling is .... I am just really happy and content that we have so  much product to look forward to, the Platinum Cd, the book, another album to come, and a possible ( just possible!;) tour, even if we have to wait 2/3 years for it.
He sounded up, and happy, and energised. He has presumably spent time looking back on his life, in order to write the book.That was probably a bit like therapy, seeing how far he has come and how much more there is still to achieve. I will look foward to anything he cares to lay on us, and I trust him to do whatever makes him happy musically.
I heard an i/view with Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull) last week, and he said that he reads his forum occasionally (I am sure they all do) but no matter what his fans write, he says that he feels absolutely no responsibility to give them what they want.
And he is so completely right! Mike's only responsibility is to create what makes HIM happy-not us. He doesnt have to write another "Ommadawn, or "Tubular Bells" 6/7 or 8! He doesnt have to use real drums if he doesnt want to,or even real instruments necessarily.  If he is creatively satisfied then it should follow that we will be too. I love 90-95% of everything Mike has ever done, and thats not so bad!
And sure, if Mike tours, it would be nice if he did some of his best bits, bits of Ommadawn, old singles, maybe even Guilty etc, ( I saw him tour when he did that, and boy, was he enjoying himself!;) but if he is inspired up there playing his new stuff for us, then we catch that vibe too-dont we?  
I personally just cant wait!!!!!   :)
Profile PM 
111 replies since Feb. 22 2006, 21:10 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (6) < 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net