Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike Oldfield on Blue Peter< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Nicolas Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 13 2006, 04:17

I have an Eminent 2000 Grand Theatre organ. It includes a version of the String Ensemble.  Indeed Eminent, Solina, ARP, it's all the same Eminent. There are multiple versions of the String Ensemble however, each with a slightly different sound. Multiple organs have the srting ensemble: 310u, 1500, 2000, 2500... but not too many.  The 310U is the famous "jarre organ" but the 2000 is has a lot more functions.  The buildup of the string ensemble in the 2000GT is different from the ARP string ensemble.  At least in wording, but also in sounds a bit.  You can make it sound "exactly" like Jarre, David Bedford and the like, but some sounds I have aren't in the ARP and vice versa.  I can play the sustain part only, without the note itself. That gives beautiful soft strings. Combined with the piano/harp etc sounds of the organ you really can't believe listening to an analog synthesizer, it sounds more like a sample keyboard or the real thing :).  My organ needs some reparations, but they're costly.  I wish I could do it myself, but I'm not good at it.  The rhythm unit doesn't work, and some keys have a "pop" on some voices.

But I'm getting off topic here :).  I heard Blue Peter on teh Complete vinyl yesterday, I really like that version. Amazing how he can play at half speed and still have such a musicality in the melody when played at double speed. It sounds not musical at all when I do that :).
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2006, 06:56

The click track was provided by his ARP 2600 synth, a beast of a machine and now highly collectable. As you can see he has wedged a key down with a patch cable to produce the mentronomic rythm which is comming from an oscillator with a low pass filter (which shapes the sound, taking off the high frequencies). I would have thought there was a metronome built into the multitrack recording set up which was computerised. That is the same new desk he took on tour in 1979 which kept breaking down. Mike insisted, much to the reluctance of the engineers, to use it. He had to give in in the end and scrap the idea. Mike can be a bit stubbon sometimes.

Mike also acts a bit manic on this film as he has just come out of his Exegisis weirdy therapy which, in my opinion, did more harm than good. :/
Profile PM WEB 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2006, 07:20

Why use an electronic metronome if a synth can do it :).

I heard (but have no source for that) that MO wanted to use loads of Quad ESL 63 electrostatic speakers for concerts, but that the owner of Quad refused.  after some debate, it they were indeed not used. Sure they sound beautiful, but if you'd use them on (open air or large hall) PA volume, you'd have ripped membranes all over the place and a bill you really don't want to see...A good thing MO's (stubborn) opinion wasn't put to action in that case.
Profile PM 
Tansy Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2006, 13:44

Quote (Bill Bobaggins @ Jan. 12 2006, 10:20)
As I watched the film, I was jealous of the crew who were able to play bells, etc on the recording.  How awesome would that be???

That would be truly awesome! what an experience,can understand the feeling of being compelled to join in & be part of something like that :D

I can vaguely recall seeing the original Blue Peter programme,and being really exited about a new version of the signature tune.At that time,blissfully unaware of seeing the great M.O at work. It's been an absolute treat to be able to watch/fully appreciate this video in it's entirety.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2006, 16:39

Noooooooooooooooooo!!!

If I knew this earlier I would have recorded it from the TV.  :/  damn it.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2006, 18:34

link

You could try this Blue Dolphin, I think it still works. I'm not too sure about these computer things, and don't know how you do a proper link. But I will persevere. The clip is very good, hope you get it.

bee

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Jan. 22 2006, 18:37

Well, goodness me, it only works!! ;)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2006, 07:55

Thanks Bee, I already saw it. :)

But the video size is so small.. I wish I knew it earlier so I could record it from TV though...

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2006, 10:21

It's great!!! Thank You!!!

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2006, 02:11

They didn't show the whole sequence on TV, only a few seconds. I have it on VHS from 1982 when they last showed it  :)
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Jan. 24 2006, 09:00

Quote (Nicolas @ Jan. 13 2006, 12:20)
I heard (but have no source for that) that MO wanted to use loads of Quad ESL 63 electrostatic speakers for concerts, but that the owner of Quad refused.

It was Tom Newman who refused (according to Tom, anyway!). Mike wanted him to do sound for the tour, but Tom ended up walking out because of the unreasonable technical demands Mike was making - the speakers being one of those things.

The volume isn't really a problem, as it just needs enough speakers to give the necessary sound pressure level - their dispersion pattern is more of an issue. The ideal is to have all the energy directed straight at the audience. If it comes out to the sides and gets reflected, it just hinders clarity (and outdoors, it just disappears altogether - wasted energy).

So, they ditched the electrostatic speakers and used something else. I have a feeling they actually ended up using the same Westlake speakers that were in Mike's studio at the time (the TM-3 if I'm not mistaken). They're certainly what was used as stage monitors.

Note in the Blue Peter video the speakers at the rear of the control room too, for quadraphonic work.
Profile PM 
ingresman Offline

Posted: June 16 2006, 08:10

I rememeber seeing this probabbly in about 1980 or maybee 79 in any case the year the single came out. I had no idea it was on I was having my tea and it was announced , I recall it was repeated by popular demand and it was documented in a blue peter annual which will be 1979 or 1980. Mine was thrown away after I left home :(.
The speakers are westlakes, have a look at the exposed LP or the DVD and you should see them.
At one time it was very popular to have a westlake desinged studio (lots of stone I think). I'm told they aare fantastic.
Profile PM 
captain cavern Offline

Posted: June 17 2006, 09:52

Is there a way to download it ?
Profile PM 
ingresman Offline

Posted: June 18 2006, 16:24

hope this doesn't break any forum rules, if so please delete.
It's at rtsp://rmv8.bbc.net.uk/newtalent/musicmakers/bb/mike_oldfield_4x3_bb.rm

you will need something that will understand rtsp (real time streaming protocol).
I use hidownload ad you get 30 (non consecutve days to evaluate).
The file is just under 17mb and plays ok in full screen.
Have fun !
Profile PM 
captain cavern Offline

Posted: June 18 2006, 19:38

Great, I can watch it, but I can't get it with Hidownload...
Someone can download and convert it to a wmv or avi file ?
(and share it on http://www.yousendit.com/  ?)
Profile PM 
ingresman Offline

Posted: June 19 2006, 07:05

Start up hidownload,
click add (I think) and it should start.
There is little hope of converting it as real is a propproatory format and I cant fnd any good doucmentation any where
Profile PM 
captain cavern Offline

Posted: June 19 2006, 12:43

I try it for the seconde time.
The download don't seems to stop... (the file is 17Mo but now I am at 22Mo... ???) ...and I get 5 files for this download... The file seems to be splitted in 5 parts and then there is no reconstruction in one file...
Profile PM 
ingresman Offline

Posted: June 23 2006, 07:02

yes thats correct, it multi streams so downloads quicker. It pretends to be realplayer so the speed of download is releated to watching in real time.
I use hi download to capture stuff from the BBC so I can listen later. I liken it to recording on video tape or cassette.
Profile PM 
37 replies since Jan. 11 2006, 15:39 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net