Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike Oldfield News, As a source of MO news...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
larstangmark Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 28 2013, 12:14

...how about the site administrators join the Facebook page "Mike Oldfield Personal"?

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/groups/Mikeoldfieldpersonal/

Today details were added related to further deluxe editions from Mike himself which seems to have passed the tubular.net staff by completely. People really shouldn't have to "send you" news via email that has been posted there. Should they? :/

Perhaps you've just been busy, but I don't know...

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Jan. 28 2013, 16:25

OK, quick reply for now.

No it hasn't passed us by! Most of the tb.net admins have also joined Mike/Carolines facebook group. We've made posts on threads there and have made comment here about things said on the facebook group. Korgscrew mentioning the news on Five miles out / Crises deluxe editions in this news thread.

I think I've kinda assumed everyone here is also on facebook and reading Mike and Carolines posts. Maybe we need to figure out a better way of duplicating interesting new news in case people *aren't* picking it up from facebook. For posterity apart from anything else as facebook seems to be a more - of the moment - sort of thing?

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2013, 17:08

Some people are not into Facebook,so to me sounds a nice idea to share what's going on that community regarding Mike's/Caroline's posts in here  ;)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Jan. 29 2013, 01:37

I didn't noitce Korgscrew's mention, possibly because he poster in an older news thread. I thought the fact that work was being carried out on new deluxe editions was a bit of a news item in itself.

Anyway, are you Matt that tubular.net is no longer keeping track on Mike Oldfield news in general now that Mike has his own Facebook page and "everyone" is there?

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2013, 12:21

Thank you, Lars, for your message.  The admins have not had a chance to talk about this as a group yet (and I agree with everything that Matt said). :)

First off, most of us admins are on FB for one purpose or another and reading MO Personal. I suppose that anyone worried that s/he is missing stuff from Facebook could subscribe, even from a library if they don’t have a home computer or smart mobile device. As Matt mentioned, in that we have posted stuff from Mike's Facebook page (as has Caroline), I too, figured tubular.net members would also subscribe there. Lately I have become amazed at the number of people who are not on FB—we assume people are, but they’re not. I’m in the middle of planning a class reunion, and while some of the older classes have been organized via Facebook, I can’t do that because I have discovered that a lot of my classmates just aren’t there. So irritating, last century, etc., but I digress. Anyway……

The way that news has traditionally worked is that sometimes we admins find stuff, sometimes members of the community find items. Often, it’s the members that alert us—look back and see how many “thank yous” there are attached to news items. Lots. It is truly a community effort, whether there are five admins or 105 (where we might get lost <-; ).  We also need to sort out how much Mike and Caroline want us to post here, as opposed to Caroline posting.  Are they ok with us posting everything from Facebook? Is there a different approach? We’ll figure this out.

It is so easy to miss stuff on Facebook and it can be very time-consuming to sift the news from the comments. The Amarok Mailing List used to have a filtered distribution list called Elements for people wanting only information who didn't have time to read the entire AML.  It was time-consuming to compile. So, with FB we'll need to develop a more efficient method.

I find that one benefit of a forum such as this one compared to Facebook or a discussion list is that usually you can find the topic again! I have a challenging time with that on FB.  Facebook doesn’t allow for the same organization.  Here, you can also discuss stuff in greater depth.  Even in the Facebook/social media century, IMHO both pieces are important because they serve different purposes—at least for now. Who knows what the next decade will bring! :)

Cheers,

Inkanta

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Feb. 02 2013, 12:34

Facebook was originally set up just to let people know what you were doing - not to have discussions. And that is where forums like Tubular.net win out.

As Inkanta says, it's next to impossible to find an old comment that you want to add to on Facebook.

So there is a space for both.

My feeling is that any direct comments from Mike or Caroline should be copied here maybe in their own section. Admittedly 90% of the world seems to be on Facebook, but not everyone.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Feb. 05 2013, 04:37

Quote (Inkanta @ Feb. 02 2013, 18:21)
So irritating, last century, etc., but I digress. Anyway……

I won't join Facebook for several reasons, so I'm very grateful for the news that's being posted here.

So in that sense, I am very last century!

:/
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Feb. 05 2013, 21:02

Last century can be very good. :)

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 06 2013, 01:21

It would be nice to have a Mike tweets section or something..

Btw does Tubular Beats qualify for its own place in the albums section ?...
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Feb. 06 2013, 07:55

Quote (Milamber @ Feb. 06 2013, 05:21)
It would be nice to have a Mike tweets section or something..

I think Caroline Monk would set up a Twitter account when sessions for the rock album starts.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
9 replies since Jan. 28 2013, 12:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net