Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (9) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike Oldfield interview in Resolution magazine< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 10 2007, 11:30

Quote (HuanCry @ Mar. 10 2007, 11:21)
I can't help but be very unhappy today reflecting on Mike's decision NOT to do what he intended re. the comments he made in the radio interviews he gave last year :-

'really long instrumental ...back to the 70s ...using electric guitars .... My kind of music .. a BIT structured like a piece of classical music ' !!!

I can understand those feelings...

Yes, in all excitement, I forgot too about what was promised earlier, about those 3 long parts...

Now is that idea ditched???

Or is he talking about one and the same project??

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2007, 11:32

P.S. Would someone please cheer me up

Neil

:(
Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 10 2007, 11:36

I just wrote a song
It's for you and you alone
I hope your blues will soon be gone
and you'll have so much fun

:)  :)  :)

--------------
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2007, 11:43

For Piltdownboy on horseback 22 :-

If he's doing a classical piece where he only plays piano and classical guitar it seems to imply he has ditched what he promised ( if promised is not too strong a word ! )

Neil

:(

I'm getting desperate I'll do a few smiles to see if that cheers me up :-
:)  :D  :)
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2007, 11:51

For Piltdownboy on horseback 22 :-

Thank you for the song ...it cheered me up far better than my clickable smiles !!!

Neil

:)  :)  :)
Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 10 2007, 11:51

..."I sang a song to make you smile
Still I see this sadness in your eyes
now just wait a while and trust in mike
And everything will be alright"

:D

--------------
Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 10 2007, 11:52

Quote (HuanCry @ Mar. 10 2007, 11:51)
Thank you for the song ...it cheered me up far better than my clickable smiles !!!

haha cool
you're welcome  :p

--------------
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Mar. 10 2007, 13:21

Quote (Piltdownboy on horseback 22 @ Mar. 10 2007, 17:30)
I can't help but be very unhappy today reflecting on Mike's decision NOT to do what he intended re. the comments he made in the radio interviews he gave last year :-

'really long instrumental ...back to the 70s ...using electric guitars .... My kind of music .. a BIT structured like a piece of classical music ' !!!

Yes, in all excitement, I forgot too about what was promised earlier, about those 3 long parts...

what mike said about the new album.
I found it on a site. it is from a radio interview.
-"What is your future plans Mike?"

Mike: -"Well, I'm working on a pice of classical music now.
I'm in two minds...weither just to do an orchestrial version
or to do a normal electronic version plus have a orchestrial
version so there will be two cd's if you like...uhmm...
I've got some of my special...you know...magic, spiritual ideas.
I've got lot of time to do it. I have just finished a new studio
wich I'm eventually moving in to and starting to really enjoy
work again and I will probably ask if you would like to...
come and see on it...he he he"

-"I was hoping you would ask...."

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2007, 18:56

Quote (Tubularman @ Mar. 10 2007, 18:21)
Quote (Piltdownboy on horseback 22 @ Mar. 10 2007, 17:30)

what mike said about the new album.
I found it on a site. it is from a radio interview.
-"What is your future plans Mike?"

Mike: -"Well, I'm working on a pice of classical music now.
I'm in two minds...weither just to do an orchestrial version
or to do a normal electronic version plus have a orchestrial
version so there will be two cd's if you like...uhmm...
I've got some of my special...you know...magic, spiritual ideas.
I've got lot of time to do it. I have just finished a new studio
wich I'm eventually moving in to and starting to really enjoy
work again and I will probably ask if you would like to...
come and see on it...he he he"

-"I was hoping you would ask...."

Simple , I guess if Mike does both an orchestral and electric versions of his new album then hopefully that will please all of the people all of the time. I guess with the Orchestral Tubular Bells I did find it lacking in guitars :O .

I think in a way I'd hate to be Mike or for that point any other musician as I guess it's impossible to please everyone. My own personal philosophy on this if people accept me for who/what I am then that's fine, if they can't then I ain't gonna change, to siut them. Trying to do so just screws you up   :( .  

I guess on here we all have our own opinions about what we'd like to see Mike record next.  If Mike does lurk in here then I'd imagine he'd get a mixed response to fans' preference for what masterpiece he should create next.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Mix Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2007, 11:26

I don't think we can really compare Orchestral Tubular Bells to whatever orchestral composition Mike is working on at the moment. OTB is just an orchestral arrangement of a composition that was never meant to be orchestral - and arranged by David Bedford.

It is very well done (and certainly much better than just about every other "London Symphony Orchestra plays Queen" etc...), but I'm sure if Mike had composed for the symphony orchestra, it wouldn't have turned out sounding anything like OTB.
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2007, 14:58

The fact that he said of this attempt at classical "I'll try that" is a bit strange. Why should he try it when other formulas have worked so well. Mike isn't consistent and seems unable to settle, in his personal life and musical. I also thought he was returning to long instrumentels like Ommadawn, Hergest and the like. I too am dissapointed its going to be classical. I think when rock musicians get to this age they tend to think they can make a classical album. It takes years to mature in classical music.

He gets a good formula and then always seems to get distracted up some dead end, looking for another sound, ie he tries "Techno", "chillout", "pop", "Soul", "Vitual reality" etc. If he had invested his time wasted exploring red herrings developing his own original technique, he would be so far ahead now.

MIKE, STICK TO WHAT YOU KNOW AND DO BEST ! ! !
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2007, 16:24

One thing that scares me a bit is the fact that recently a few other rock/pop musicians had the chance to release "their classical albuns" and I do hope that Mike isn't embarking on that trend to reconquer respect in the music world in some sort of a way.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2007, 21:40

About this orchestral..
I really just don't hope this will be a orchestral tubular bells alike album. That is  my only wish. If mike burn for something, well it is ok. It is hard to do something you dont wanna do, but indeed, what other people want you to do.
It is very difficult to forget a good idea also..
But i guess this idea was have roots from Night of Proms?

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Mar. 11 2007, 22:40

some interesting videos about Karl jenkins
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=het4wj9hiCg

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
RICHARDGORMLIE Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2007, 07:10

hi gang
i just got an email back from karl jenkins music and it is true, mike is doing a classical album and karl is working with him on the project.
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2007, 07:47

I am finding it difficult to work up any excitement about this project :-( I was hoping he would choose the "back to 70s composition" route. But Mike is Mike and i'm sure i'll end up getting the CD.

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Ratty Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2007, 10:32

Guys, lighten up a bit. It sounds like you have already formed your own Kangaroo Court. "Guilty without a trial!!!" Yes, i was looking forward to Mikes "back to the 70`s" recording, i will also admit that i am not a lover of classical music...but come on, give the bloke a chance, it may well be the greatest piece of music Mike has produced in years. Lets here it 1st before judgement is made.

Hey, im a Leeds fan and i`m still smiling.    :)

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2007, 12:57

Hey, im a Leeds fan and i`m still smiling.

And I'm a Man City fan but I'm not smiling. :/
Profile PM WEB 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2007, 14:03

Yes, I agree with Ratty somewhat.

Besides, at the time it was made, 'Incantations' reflected a bit of what was going on in the classical world i.e. Phillip Glass and the like. Obviously Mike gave us his own spin and personality with that album as I am sure he will do with this one.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2007, 16:42

OK, after reading the interview and watching the video, here are my thoughts on this:

1 - Mike going classical? Yeah, why not. After all, he already did twice, with excellent (IMHO) resutl.

2 - Mike making a long instrumental like the ones he did in the 1970s? Nah. :D I think long instrumentals based on rock instrumentation (electric guitar, bass, organ...) are too 1970-ish - terribly, overwhelmingly 1970-ish. This is why TB 2003 works only half-way, for me: it sounds fantastic as far as the sounds are concerned, Mike couldn't really do better sounds than those. But, as far as the music is concerned, it sounds very old, very 1973-ish, very dated. On the other hand, long instrumental compositions based on classical instrumentation are timeless. The ones that Sibelius wrote in the early 1900s were called "Symphonic Poems" and still sound fresh today, IMHO. If Mike comes up with a symphonic poem, I'd be very happy about it.

3 - Mike collaborating with Karl "Adiemus" Jenkins? Wonderful!! :) I think Mr. Jenkins is one of the most gifted composers in the field of contemporary classical music, and having him & Mike compose together sounds just very fitting to me. Of course, there also are Ennio Morricone & Michael Nyman, but that's another matter. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
166 replies since Mar. 03 2007, 17:58 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (9) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net