Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (9) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike Oldfield interview in Resolution magazine< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 06 2007, 02:48

Quote (Mix @ Mar. 05 2007, 21:51)
The video is now online - nice interview but no other news than Mike says he is indeed going to "try" in classical world, as he has pretty much done everything else(!;)

What he says is:

"I'm in the unusual situation in that I've pretty much done everything I wanted to do, so this is the only thing I haven't done"

As someone who hoped he would continue to make wonderful music for many years to come that attitude seems a bit disappointing. Hopefully just a phase and he'll find more enthusiasm from somewhere following this current project. OR am I reading too much into one sentence the might have been presented out of context?

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 06 2007, 03:12

I'm looking forward to it. Anything Mike experiments in is fine with me. At least he's still experimenting and not stuck in a loop like so many others. Even if it is something like Mont St, Michel (I thought that particular piece was pretty boring, really). But from the sounds of it it won't be. Plus it'll be a lot longer than Mont St. Michel so there'll be more to "choose from" :).

Sad that there won't be any electric...but Mike's done some pretty amazing stuff with just an acoustic. Taurus 3, Ommadawn, Hergest Ridge. Etc. I'm looking forward to seeing what his underrated instrument is capable of.

And just because he said it was the last thing he wanted to do doesn't mean he'll stop playing or writing. Just means he's stuck his finger in all the pies he wanted to taste. I'm sure he'll go back and finish one or two of them yet...

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
jonnyw Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 06 2007, 04:43

Quote (MusicallyInspired @ Mar. 06 2007, 08:12)
...but Mike's done some pretty amazing stuff with just an acoustic. Taurus 3, Ommadawn, Hergest Ridge. Etc.

Not to mention amarok  ;)

--------------
Grand piano.
Reed and pipe organ.
Glockenspeil.
Bass guitar.
Vocal chords.
Two slightly sampled electric guitars.
The venitian effect.
Digital sound processor.
And Tubular bells.

Solo music - http://-terrapin-.bebo.com

Band music - http://www.rsimusic.com
Profile PM WEB 
Chicular Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2007, 09:52

I wonder if the music in the background is Mikes?
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2007, 10:41

Quote (Chicular @ Mar. 06 2007, 09:52)
I wonder if the music in the background is Mikes?

:) Yes ! i've thought the same thing !
I like this music very much too ! It would be great if that's a excerpt from the next album ?  ;)
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2007, 12:24

naaah, I guess it's just temp music from the makers they put under the video to make it a bit more appealing (and to camouflage that horrible sound maybe!! ;)  )

The video is streaming, but is it possible to download the video? Some whizzkids out here who know how to? :)

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Burning Fish Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2007, 13:39

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ Mar. 06 2007, 18:24)
The video is streaming, but is it possible to download the video? Some whizzkids out here who know how to? :)

You can use this as an add-on to Firefox. With it you can download video's from various streaming video websites, such as YouTube. I downloaded the interview video with that.

Nice interview, but it sounds like the editor tried to cut out the voice of the person giving the interview. That's kind of annoying.

--------------
"Lemon curry?"
Profile PM WEB 
backwoodsman Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2007, 14:11

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ Mar. 06 2007, 12:24)

Hi, you can download it as .mov file. Just wait until the whole video has been loaded, then right-click on the video screen and select "save as quicktime movie" (or something like that).
You may need to have the quicktime codecs installed before you can do that, I'm not sure.
Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 06 2007, 16:45

Not to mention amarok

Amarok? What's that? :D

Nice interview, but it sounds like the editor tried to cut out the voice of the person giving the interview. That's kind of annoying.

All interviews are recorded and edited that way. Or at least they should be. I can't stand hearing the interviewer. Seems like a bad production that way. But to each his own.

You may need to have the quicktime codecs installed before you can do that, I'm not sure.

You need QuickTime Pro (which you need to pay for) to right click and download that way.

You can download the video from this link, though:
http://recordproduction.com/mike-oldfield-540-v2.mov

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
torbenyj Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2007, 16:47

Use itunes to see the video - and itunes is free
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Mar. 06 2007, 17:09

It sounds like Mike wants to write to please people. He said he has pretty much done everything but if it aint broke, don't fix it. He seems more relaxed than ever. Imagine going into the local music store and seeing Mike. Bizzarre.

Not sure about the concept of Halloween. Very odd. Personaly for me it's a bit of a non starter but its up to him.

I like Jenkins' The Armed Man. It's very moving. I also saw Ludovico Einaudi last week in Manchester. It was an excellent concert as he had a string section and electronics guy mixed with his piano. Amazing stuff. You can listen here to his new album Divenire http://profile.myspace.com/index.c....9752490
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Mar. 07 2007, 00:48

Quote (torbenyj @ Mar. 06 2007, 15:47)
Use itunes to see the video - and itunes is free

But I hate iTunes. About as much as I hate the iPod and Windows.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
backwoodsman Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2007, 12:22

[quote=MusicallyInspired,Mar. 06 2007, 16:45]

You need QuickTime Pro (which you need to pay for) to right click and download that way.[\quote]

That's strange. I don't have QuickTime Pro, but I was able to download it as I described.
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2007, 15:57

Mike mentions that he spends all night, and then the next night, working on this project.  I suppose he isn't getting enough sleep and it shows in his face and eyes.  I applaud him for working so hard, and I guess that's the way he's always done it, but I hate to see him looking so tired.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 07 2007, 16:10

That's strange. I don't have QuickTime Pro, but I was able to download it as I described.

That is strange. I right click on it and it has an icon with the word PRO next to it. When I click on it it says I have to upgrade to Quicktime Pro to use this feature.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Mar. 07 2007, 16:19

Just taking a gander at a few of the other videos on the site and they all have different music tracks or no tracks at all. It seems the videos are made independently of the site so the soundtrack could very well be from Mike's new album.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2007, 19:44

mentioned above - how he looks tired. I was thinking it looks like hay fever - a reaction  to pollen in the summer. It does look kind of bright outside the windows. Or maybe too much of the happy weed? Or - last idea - young Jake is getting him up too early?

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2007, 20:06

Quote (MusicallyInspired @ Mar. 07 2007, 16:19)
Just taking a gander at a few of the other videos on the site and they all have different music tracks or no tracks at all. It seems the videos are made independently of the site so the soundtrack could very well be from Mike's new album.

:D If it's right , it'll be a very cool music . I like it but it' s not really classic or orchestral music isn't it ? He talks about an orchestral piece of music in the video . There's a lot of Asian influences on this music but yes , why not , it could be very well used to an Halloween or spiritual atmosphere ! ... humm ? !  and why not also played by an orchestra ! It seems to be serious .
Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 07 2007, 23:21

He said he was going to sequence it first and then print it out on sheet music for an orchestra to play.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
Profile PM WEB 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2007, 03:57

Nah, I don't think the background music sounds like Mike at all. It sounds too cheap and cliche. Sounds like library music that film makers use to me.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
166 replies since Mar. 03 2007, 17:58 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (9) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net