Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (9) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike Oldfield interview in Resolution magazine< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TOBY Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 12 2007, 17:48

Hi all, thought I'd give all things MO a rest for a while so I've been listening and doing other things. Nice to see  bit of movement in his career again though and I must admit I'll look forward to a classically driven album if one transpires.

Firstly I can understand people getting upset that Mike hasn't kept his word, yet again, about doing a long complex multi-instrumental piece. But we've been here before, people should have realised long ago that you have to take everything he says with a pinch of salt, make that a large pinch in fact make it a spoonful.

Secondly a classical based album could be pretty damm good, his musical history in this area has got far more music weight behind it than his history at programming sequencers and drum machines. Mont ST Michel, his last long, involved and truly developed piece IMHO is highly listenable too. Its not staggeringly original but its got a great atmosphere and goes on nice little musical journey in its 9 mins or however long it is. I'd love a full album like this. The Killing Fields is simply genius, nuff said there. But what i think would be a great model  for something he should do is an Incantations like album. He said in that interview that he's only going to use piano and acoustic guitar but why can't he throw in a bit of electric guitar too? Incantations proves how well Mike can convincingly integrate electric guitar with string sections, it never sounds out of place on Incantations.

I really wish Mike wouldn't compromise his music sometimes by saying 'I'm only going to use this or that' His Guitars albums, which contained some amazing music, suffered in this way I think.

I'm not sure what i make of his motivation for doing a classical album. He seems to be saying I'm doing it because I'm bored of everything else and I thought I'd give it a go. Mike rarely seems to sound excited by music these days, maybe you just don't when you get to his stage in a musical career.  

I think the theme of Halloween is quite a good one, dark, mysterious, I think he could do well writing stuff around that theme, other classical composers obviously have.

It'll be interesting to see what his artistic relationship with Karl Jenkins is. Presumably Jenkins will be doing the orchestration, could be good, I like some of his work that I've heard, I'm not hugely familiar with it though.

I watched that Interview, I thought it was all right, nice to see Mike smiling and laughing for a change. Also good to see him realise why the original TB works and why the rerecording doesn't. Personally I thought he looked younger and healthier here that he has over the past few years, he certainly seemed cheery.

Didn't pay much attention to that Night of the Proms tour, classical renditions of non classical music don't really do it for me, i thought I'd best stay clear of it.  

Anyway looking forward to the autobiography in May - should be interesting

Cheers
Toby
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Mar. 12 2007, 20:06

Quote (Ratty @ Mar. 12 2007, 15:32)
Guys, lighten up a bit. It sounds like you have already formed your own Kangaroo Court. "Guilty without a trial!!!" Yes, i was looking forward to Mikes "back to the 70`s" recording, i will also admit that i am not a lover of classical music...but come on, give the bloke a chance, it may well be the greatest piece of music Mike has produced in years. Lets here it 1st before judgement is made.

Hey, im a Leeds fan and i`m still smiling.    :)

Michael Gordon Oldfield you have pleaded guilty to the charges brought by this court . It is my duty to  now pass sentence.....

Thanks to Porridge for the above.

Poor Mike , at least one thing there is in the so called British Justice System is "Trial by Jury"  but he has been found guilty of going back on his "promises" before anyone has heard a note.  Just like any of us Mike has a right to change his mind, but I don't think the back to the 70's album was ever set in stone   :O .

I do quite enjoy classical music. I feel this is an area, where Mike's talents could really shine, (no not Shineas in  Jon Anderson, looking like an oven ready turkey    :p WAAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHH) no but you get my drift.

Wasn't Tubular Bells inspired after Mike had been listening to Sibeilius (sp). Hergest Ridge is very pastoral, reminds me very much of the English countryside. I do feel there is perhaps elements of Elgar in there, I could picture Elgar cycling through  the Herefordshire/Worcestershire countryside, as I could imagine Mike finding inspiration from spending many hours on The Ridge     :cool: .  As for Ommadawn the screaming guitar solo at the end of Part 1 for me reaches the epic proportions  of a Wagnerian Opera.  Yes had electric guitars been available to Wagner I could see him building up to a climatic Ommadawn type ending.

In all seriousness I feel if any rock musician is capable of writing a classical piece then  Mike could do it.  However I would really love to see Mike include some electric guitar in there, as I feel Mike will find it difficult not to decide to add some electric in there at some stage.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Mar. 12 2007, 23:27

Quote (moonchildhippy @ Mar. 13 2007, 02:06)
However I would really love to see Mike include some electric guitar in there, as I feel Mike will find it difficult not to decide to add some electric in there at some stage.

that is the harderst part indeed.
But he keeps changing hes mind so maybe there will be electric guitars anyway ;)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
ian Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2007, 02:57

Karl Jenkins comes from a small village in South Wales called Penclawdd. I used to live there for a while in a friend's house when I was a student in Swansea :-)
Profile PM WEB 
Marky Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2007, 12:57

Toby made some good points didn't he. I think the tag "classical" can sometimes be a bit of a problem. Some people start hearing the music in advance, a bit like some others do with the drum sequencers etc. If I've learned one thing about Mike O, its this: wait until its available, listen, listen again, and then listen a third time. Then you can start to form an opinion that might actually be fair and reasonable. He tends to be good when he's good, regardless of the style of music. And whatever he does, there will be critical fans, because we're an unusually diverse lot. We're not all waiting for the 40th year on tour of Status Quo or Cliff Richard or anything predictable - its hard to know what Mr O will devise and how much energy and va-voom will leap out of those speakers at us. So some will be disappointed because it wont be 'their thing'. But that's a sign of a good diverse, creative and original musician. He's made a lot of good music, this chap, and he's got a lot left if he feels like it. A few violins and a couple of trumpets aint gonna ruin that!

Mark
Profile PM 
Man From The Moon Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2007, 13:41

It is fantastic opportunity for us to hear who Mike Oldfield would be as a composer, if he lived 200years ago! :)
Artist like MO just have to compose pure classical album, it's fantastic challenge, and another level of music evolution! Mike has never been faithful to one style, so it's absolutely natural!!! :)))
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2007, 14:51

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Mar. 10 2007, 11:07)
I'd love to read the full interview...and Mike is also on the cover of Resolution mag  ;)

Have you seen the cover yet, Tati? Do you know where we can see it?  :D

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2007, 14:56

Matthew Cochrane tried to scan it,but it wasn't so good at all,since the mag's size is a bit larger than A4...he said some of the pics are on the net on the Record Production site.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Quicksilver Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2007, 16:16

Mike loves experimenting. We have to be happy that the next album is going to be long, instrumental, more acoustic and more Oldfield-like (hopefully). And Mike will do a tour!
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 13 2007, 17:24

I don't think Mike likes to repeat himself (unless we're talking about Tubular Bells, but now I think even that ship has finally sailed). He's always trying something new and as far as I'm concerned, whether it's popular or not (he's never been terribly popular), he's still worthy of my respect and admiration and anticipation of his next album just for that reason alone.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2007, 21:12

All the pictures with the article (including the one on the cover) were taken from recordproduction.com so if you've seen the pictures there, you have seen all the pictures from the magazine.

I could scan the cover if you really want, but for all the other pictures you would get better quality from the recordproduction.com links.

The full article is now available elsewhere on tubular.net
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2007, 05:07

Quote (Mat Cochrane @ Mar. 15 2007, 02:12)
The full article is now available elsewhere on tubular.net

I've only just now got around to reading this interview. I love the closing comment about Patrick Moore. Hear Hear!

It must be excruciatingly difficult to maintain motivation after a lifetime of doing what Mike has done, and there must come a time for most creative artists when the well starts to run dry, and the big question of "what next?" gets bigger every time.

I'm just glad that he's still planning on creating something, I guess - and an orchestral piece is as good a direction as any. If Mont St Michel is anything to go by, we might get something that sounds a bit a bit like a film score - a bit 'Hollywoodised', maybe - something over-the-top. I suppose I'd prefer something more subtle than that, and in any case he's moved on, so we can't really have much idea what to expect. Like Bob Dylan (whose last album was a bit too bland and 'nice' for me), he's more than earned the right to do what he wants, regardless of what I or anyone else thinks!
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2007, 05:58

nice interview..
Sad this is not on the video. (i mean all of it)
I still hope he will use some el guitars on the album.
About his studio, i thought it was very light, but like he said:
"I’ve spent most of my life in dark, dungeon-like studios, I can’t bear to be locked up any more. I want light, I want to see the clouds."
Sounds like Vangelis and his studio. He wanted to see the rain fall on the windows. Vangelis: " i like to see the changes of days  and seasons, when it is sun, when it is birds, and rain, it is fantastic" It must be very inspiring to have it like that.
vangelis interview

They indeed inspiring me.
I guess Mike is tired of dark rooms. He have a good life and relax with his young son and the guitar. It is great Mike. You deserve that because you have given me alot of good music that have helped me in up and down periods.

:cool:

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 15 2007, 07:41

The full interview is an interesting read. I'm definitely looking forward to the autobiography and the next project.

Can't help feeling however that he has "lost his mojo" a bit at the moment (his comments about difficulty in motivating himself). Maybe there is only a certain amount of inspiration available and he has used all of his up. Maybe it is too much for us to expect him to be able to continue to produce new exciting material at the rate he used to? Maybe he should move away from producing music for a bit (cencentrate on family and some new hobby - radio controlled boats for a change ;). It sounds to me like he is trying to force himself to be inspired and produce material rather than waiting for inspiration and desire to produce to come to him...

I'm rambling and using the word "maybe" too much, time to stop...

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2007, 08:37

sitting and waiting for inspirations and ideas never work for me either....
It helps to travel and see wonderful things.
But the best inspiration for me is depression.. When you'r down you see other things better and they give you ideas.. They are so clear and you must do something with them (if you are musican or artist)
I would not been inspired in his studio because of all the light. And maybe he is very close to his wife and the kid.
When i look at my self. When i have my kids the ideas dissepear. I get stressed and don't have space in my head to create something.
So maybe like you said Matt. Give Mike time.

He seems to be in love in his Mac and the computer world. But i don't agree with Mike  in his theorys about hwo great it is.
But i understand. He is older now and maybe sick and tired of mess in the studio. You can see that he's studio is quite simple and not millions of electric things and stuff.
The Mac and Pc is something genious for new musicans and for good music indeed. You can simply have your own mixer and music studio in your room :)
And also for Mike of course. It is just that all the good old stuff like Crises and Ommadawn was not made in Mac...
But the music is of course very important. I like First steps and it gives me chills ;)
The orchestral idea is genious. I look forward to it. I don't think it will sound like Hollywood soundtrack music. It is about Halloween and that is abit moody and dark theme in a celtic way. very interesting. I must admit that the idea is some of the best he had for many years. He got strong inspirations from orchestral and the celtic world. I think this will be something modern Hergest ridge with piano and classic guitar.

But one thing i dont understand is:
"I’m making a demo of the whole thing, keeping all MIDI parts, so that the MIDI parts can be transcribed into Sibelius, and a proper orchestral score can be worked out"

How does this work?

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2007, 09:36

Quote (Tubularman @ Mar. 15 2007, 14:37)
"I’m making a demo of the whole thing, keeping all MIDI parts, so that the MIDI parts can be transcribed into Sibelius, and a proper orchestral score can be worked out"

How does this work?

Well, Sibelius, other than being a Finnish composer :D, is a score-writing program, for Mac & Windows. What Mike means is that in his demo he's playing all the orchestral parts by himself, on MIDI-connected keyboards (or maybe on a single keyboard), so that Sibelius (the program) can use the MIDI parts played by Mike to write out the notes on the parts to be given to the orchestral performers, and, of course, on the full orchestral score. Considering Mike's notorious laziness (at least in recent times!! :D) this sounds like a very comfortable way for him to write out music scores in the shortest possible time! :)

EDIT: In the interview he also says that he wants to create a score to be played by symphony orchestras all around the world. So the usefulness of the Sibelius software is even more evident. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2007, 12:04

Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 15 2007, 15:36)
Quote (Tubularman @ Mar. 15 2007, 14:37)

How does this work?

Well, Sibelius, other than being a Finnish composer :D, is a score-writing program, for Mac & Windows. What Mike means is that in his demo he's playing all the orchestral parts by himself, on MIDI-connected keyboards (or maybe on a single keyboard), so that Sibelius (the program) can use the MIDI parts played by Mike to write out the notes on the parts to be given to the orchestral performers, and, of course, on the full orchestral score. Considering Mike's notorious laziness (at least in recent times!! :D) this sounds like a very comfortable way for him to write out music scores in the shortest possible time! :)

EDIT: In the interview he also says that he wants to create a score to be played by symphony orchestras all around the world. So the usefulness of the Sibelius software is even more evident. :D

aha, then i had right. I was not sure ;)
He made a demo (just like Vangelis do when he makes score to soundtracks) But Mike do it on mac ;)
So that means there is no notes?
Is this the work for Karl? To sit down and make notes for every single instruments?
I guess this album is not finish before late 2008. It must takes very long time to make an orchestral if he dont have any notes and just have midi parts to listen after...

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2007, 13:15

I doubt he's going to write the score by ear. You can print out MIDI music as sheet music. That's my guess as to what he's thinking of.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2007, 13:22

Quote (MusicallyInspired @ Mar. 15 2007, 18:15)
I doubt he's going to write the score by ear. You can print out MIDI music as sheet music. That's my guess as to what he's thinking of.

He's doing the MIDI in Logic, moving it to Sibelius (that bit is clear enough from the interview) and that's probably what the orchestrator is working with and sorting out before it's printed for the orchestra.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2007, 13:52

but how can Karl figure out that?
Don't he need notes?
:D

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
166 replies since Mar. 03 2007, 17:58 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (9) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net