Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (9) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike Oldfield interview in Resolution magazine< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 03 2007, 07:58

Resolution magazine has published an exclusive interview with Mike Oldfield.

Update: a video is available.
Update #2: full transcript.
Update #3: digital magazine.
    "I'm writing a piece of orchestral music. I'm making a demo of the whole thing, keeping all MIDI parts so that the MIDI parts can be transcribed into Sibelius and a proper orchestral score can be worked out. It'll be all orchestral apart from classical guitar and grand piano, I'll be playing those two instruments."

"It's going to be based around the festival of Halloween rather than the Hollywood horror film. The ancient festival goes back to BC. I'm talking to the composer Karl Jenkins about collaborating on it, hoping to record it somewhere special like Abbey Road No.1, and we'll do a live concert. The advantage of that is we'll have an orchestral score, which anyone in the world will be able to pick up and play."

"In my local record shop they've had the original Tubular Bells there since I'd lived there, and they put the new one up, and after a month they took that down and put the old one up... the production, and even the tuning doesn't matter, it's a force and energy, idiosyncrasies that give it it's character."

(Via Matthew Cochrane of the Amarok Mike Oldfield Mailing List.)
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 03 2007, 07:58

From one member of Amarok list:

In Resolution magazine (a UK/ International
publication on Recording, Multimedia, Broadcast and
Post Production as it related to audio) has quite a
big feature with Mike in his new studio/s. Picture on
the front cover and everything. It's the V6.2 March
2007.(...)

Tantalising snippets though:
"I'm writing a piece of orchestral music. I'm making a
demo of the whole thing, keeping all MIDI parts so
that the MIDI parts can be transcribed into Sibelius
and a proper orchestral score can be worked out. It'll
be all orchestral apart from classical guitar and
grand piano, I'll be playing those two instruments."

"It's going ot be based around the festival of
Hallowe'en rather than the Hollywood horror film. The
ancient festival goes back to BC. I'm talking to the
composer Karl Jenkins about collaborating on it,
hoping to record it somewhere special like Abbey Road
No.1, and we'll do a live concert. The advantage of
that is we'll have an orchestral score, which anyone
in the world will be able to pick up and play."

"In my local record shop they've had the original
Tubular Bells there since I'd lived there, and they
put the new one up, and after a month they took that
down and put the old one up... the production, and
even the tuning doesn't matter, it's a force and
energy, idiosyncrasies that give it it's character."

SOUNDS GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Mar. 03 2007, 08:19

http://www.recordproduction.com/NEWS.HTM

http://www.recordproduction.com/mike-oldfield-interview.html

"We are delighted to feature Mike and the video is currently being edited, please come back soon to watch it"

:D  :D  :D

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2007, 18:00

Kay - as usual, you are first with the news and the web links..and also Tati.

I,m on vacation on the Costa del Sol, so will check this out next week, but great news!

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Mar. 03 2007, 20:25

Quote (Olivier @ Mar. 03 2007, 12:58)
Resolution magazine has published an exclusive interview with Mike Oldfield. A video will be available online.

"I'm writing a piece of orchestral music. I'm making a demo of the whole thing, keeping all MIDI parts so that the MIDI parts can be transcribed into Sibelius and a proper orchestral score can be worked out. It'll be all orchestral apart from classical guitar and grand piano, I'll be playing those two instruments."

"It's going to be based around the festival of Halloween rather than the Hollywood horror film. The ancient festival goes back to BC. I'm talking to the composer Karl Jenkins about collaborating on it, hoping to record it somewhere special like Abbey Road No.1, and we'll do a live concert. The advantage of that is we'll have an orchestral score, which anyone in the world will be able to pick up and play."

"In my local record shop they've had the original Tubular Bells there since I'd lived there, and they put the new one up, and after a month they took that down and put the old one up... the production, and even the tuning doesn't matter, it's a force and energy, idiosyncrasies that give it it's character."

(Via Matthew Cochrane of the Amarok Mike Oldfield Mailing List.)any

That's great news :D . An orchestral piece , apart from guitar and grand piano, sounds interesting. Hopefully this WILL put Mike back on the musical map, where he so rightfully belongs. Not only that  it's going to be recorded at Abbey Road as made legendary by The Beatles and Pink Floyd. That'll REALLY put Mike back on the musical map.

The new album is going to be based around the ancient festival of Halloween :cool:,  I knew from interviews Mike was a spiritual person.  I think the ancient Pagan festival of Halloween has been made rather commercial, not to mention demonised by    some evangelical zealots over the years.
For more on Halloween time customs, both Pagan and Christian see here   www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/Halloween.html
So glad to see an honest non demonising view of Paganism is taught in schools these days.

That's  interesting what Mike said about Tubular Bells. His local record shop(do they still exist??? :/ ), has been displaying  the Original Tubular Bells since he lived there, apart for one month where they had, I gather this was TB2003 up before replacing it with the original.   Strange that I always thought that Mike was unhappy with the tuning on the orig TB, call me a cloth eared nincompoop , but I've NEVER noticed   any tuning errors on TB  :/ , if anything these give Orig TB it's character and  charm    :) .  I quite like L&S , but I much prefer Mike's longer instrumental pieces . Tubular Bells is a classic that needs no alteration, its the minor imperfections that make it  so perfect, after all we're all only  human  arent we?.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 03 2007, 21:10

Thanks for the link, Moonchildhippy! I really love the concept of what he is going to do, too.

As a practicing pagan-Wiccan person, I did a double-take to hear him refer to Halloween as a festival. Samhain (Halloween) isn't really a festival, at least as how it is observed by the groups with which I've been associated. It is a religious observance--the most solemn of all the eight sabbats. It is the time in the annual cycle when the veil between the two worlds stretches thin, letting some of us be in the presence of our departed loved ones. It is a place of pause; reflection; perhaps where the laws of space and time are momentarily suspended. For those who lost loved ones during the preceding year, the emotions can really, really spill.

I'd be interested to know if in preparation, he attended a Samhain sabbat.

Here is another link to a fairly brief but comprehensive discussion of Halloween/Samhain:
http://www.religioustolerance.org/hallo_np.htm

I have a sense that his new work will be brilliant and magickal!

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 03 2007, 21:42

Interesting reading.  Nice to see some photos, too! :)

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
Mix Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2007, 01:18

This really is fantastic news! I have been waiting for something like this ever since "Mont St. Michel"...
Profile PM 
Markus K. Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2007, 06:40

Isn't Karl Jenkins the guy behind "Adiemus"?

My opinion on "Adiemus" is that it was a one hit wonder with rest of the music being indifferent nonsense, although very well produced indifferent nonsense.  :D

Haven't listened to the album for quite some time now. Maybe it's time to update my opinion.

Well Oldfield-Jenkins might not be a bad combination at all, if it happens...

--------------
---
Markus K.
Profile PM 
Mix Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2007, 07:16

Quote (Markus K. @ Mar. 04 2007, 06:40)

My opinion on "Adiemus" is that it was a one hit wonder with rest of the music being indifferent nonsense, although very well produced indifferent nonsense.  :D

Haven't listened to the album for quite some time now. Maybe it's time to update my opinion.

Well Oldfield-Jenkins might not be a bad combination at all, if it happens...

Yes, Karl Jenkins is the man behind Adiemus, and he has made at least five Adiemus albums by now, in addition to many other projects more or less in the same style. As far as production and orchestral arrangements go, I think Mike could choose much worse - Jenkins does have a touch for that.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2007, 07:40

Am I seeing this right? Is Mike still using Fruity Loops????? C'mon! Where's Logic man? ;)

I'm wondering if that still is his Brüel & Kjær microphone he's using on that picture. Or is it the DPA?

IMHO, I'm still missing his old studio in Chalfont St. Giles. It had a much more warmer character and was made of softer material. (I wish my studio looked liked that) I don't understand how Mike can get inspired by that new cold looking, hard material.

Well, let's see how this orchestral piece will come out. I'm wondering about that concert. :)

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2007, 08:02

I can't wait. Shame to see a limit on the instruments, wouldn't mind seeing some electric guitar, but who am I to know? We'll just have to wait and see.

This has clearly generated more interest about a Mike album for a while.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Clodomir Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2007, 08:54

Quote (Markus K. @ Mar. 04 2007, 06:40)

Yes, he also played in Soft Machine with Mike Ratledge, but only after Kevin Ayers had left this band to record a solo album (and then recruit a 16 years old Mike Oldfield to play bass).

Mike Ratledge is the other half of Adiemus (at least for the 1st album, I don't have the others).

Karl Jenkins had already worked with Mike, he played clarinet or oboe on Tubular Bells' BBC 2nd House live recording.

--------------
Mike Oldfield - Blog d'une passion
http://www.mike-oldfield.net
Profile PM WEB 
fragile Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2007, 13:27

>Am I seeing this right? Is Mike still using Fruity Loops????? C'mon! Where's Logic man?

Hey man -that IS Logic Pro!!!
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2007, 15:04

where do you all see that he will use Fruity loops??
Only guitar and piano.....

One question..
Is this going to be a album about Halloween??????
I hope not... sounds scary...

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2007, 15:54

Quote (Tubularman @ Mar. 04 2007, 15:04)
where do you all see that he will use Fruity loops??
Only guitar and piano.....

One question..
Is this going to be a album about Halloween??????
I hope not... sounds scary...

:)  :D  Take a look on his  mix keyboard , there's a  screen with a sequencer and some instruments patterns on it  ;)

Edit:

Where is the video about the interview ? Can't find it ...
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2007, 16:23

aha  :)

The interview is not there yet. Be patience and it will soon be there..  ;)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
SoimSandheaver Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2007, 16:43

Sounds interesting. It's not a completely new venture for Mike, but it will be good to see him write an orchestral album that isn't based on a previous album of his (see The Orchestral Tubular Bells).

Nope, this looks like something completely new and fresh. And, Mike will be contributing with his simple yet unforgettable piano skills, and with a classical guitar. Shame there were be no electrics, but we know he is capable of some fantastic guitar tunes which aren't electric (see the introduction to Tubular Bells Part 2).

--------------
"Three blokes go into a pub, one of them's a little bit stupid, then the whole scene unfolds, with a tedious inevitability."
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2007, 16:46

Quote (fragile @ Mar. 04 2007, 19:27)
>Am I seeing this right? Is Mike still using Fruity Loops????? C'mon! Where's Logic man?

Hey man -that IS Logic Pro!!!

dude, it was a sarcastic comment

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Mix Offline

Posted: Mar. 04 2007, 17:24

Quote (Clodomir @ Mar. 04 2007, 08:54)
Karl Jenkins had already worked with Mike, he played clarinet or oboe on Tubular Bells' BBC 2nd House live recording.

That's interesting! I have completely missed this or simply forgotten it.

By the way, I have Jenkins' Adiemus albums 1-5 + "Requiem", "Diamond Music" + a mass called "The Armed Man". The Diamond Music contains variations of some themes from various Adiemus'-pieces and a string quartet, performed by LSO and "Smith Quartet". If any of you are interested in checking out Jenkins' music as classical adaptations, you will get quite a good picture there.

And then there is of course:
www.karljenkins.com  :p
Profile PM 
166 replies since Mar. 03 2007, 17:58 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (9) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net