[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (10) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike Oldfield in London for this Friday?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
tubular_trekkie Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 27 2012, 08:00

Quote (CJJC @ July 27 2012, 12:32)
There is a website called 43 Things where people list their life goals and then tick try to achieve them.

A user called Alan Window has, in the last two days, updated his goal to "see Mike Oldfield in concert" to an achievement, adding:

"At the Olympic Stadium as part of the Opening Ceremony Technical Dress Rehearsal.

Tubular Bells in concert = Awesome"

http://www.43things.com/things....concert

Amazing coincidence. I know Alan Window, and I can't believe he's got to see this. Just been speaking to him on the phone, but he's busy so he's going to call me back. I'll pump him for some more info - stay tuned! :D  :cool:

Edited to add: Can't reveal too much, but he apparently does play guitar and it isn't just a fleeting appearance.
It's also 'amazing'. I'm chuffed - can't wait!!

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
CJJC Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 10:30

Well, this is quite an astonishing little internet adventure.

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
Thomas Höög Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 10:41

My expectations are in sky at the moment :)
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 10:50

none of us really know what to expect !!!

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 11:09

Quote (bee @ July 27 2012, 16:50)
none of us really know what to expect !!!

Strange, I can't play the video. Do you have a direct link?

I will tune in on BBC 1 this evening! And if I'm correct there will be a Johnny Walker show on the radio at 3 pm GMT tomorrow with Mike in it?

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 11:19

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/19006013

try this?
:)

--------------

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 11:22

Radio 2 Sunday 3pm
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 11:44

This is all very exciting, If Mike was to play at the opening of the games tonight, I will be ecstatic  :D I hope It's true.
Clink the link below for a close up pic of Mike with Johnny Walker

Mike & Johnny Walker
Profile PM 
Chicular Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 12:09

Is it possible he'll be providing us with more than 2 tracks from his back catalogue? Could he have composed something entirely new for this as well that we'll get to hear?
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 12:29

Quote (Korgscrew @ July 27 2012, 07:56)
The 'pastoral landscape' becomes Hergest Ridge, the Olympic rings become a bent bell and the world realises too late that the 2012 Olympics were an elaborate ruse invented by Universal to launch 'Two Sides'...and before anyone knows what's hit them, Mike does a repeat of the infamous 'discus thrower' picture and flings out CDs to the bewildered audience.

Have somebody been peeking at my christmas list?

Where did the "like" button go? Ah it's in another application entirely...
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 12:37

Can not Imagine anything New being Played... I Guess Danny Boyle is Running the Show and  figuring out whats in & out etc.. :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 13:47

Quote (Black Bunik @ July 27 2012, 11:24)
Instead he was carrying a CD which he put it into a console playing his previous studio recordings.

The 'pastoral landscape' becomes Hergest Ridge, the Olympic rings become a bent bell and the world realises too late that the 2012 Olympics were an elaborate ruse invented by Universal to launch 'Two Sides'...and before anyone knows what's hit them, Mike does a repeat of the infamous 'discus thrower' picture and flings out CDs to the bewildered audience.

Then with the world in the palm of his hands, he gives the nearest piano a few kicks, announces he wants to remember a couple of old friends and starts singing "Speak, vision of the night..."

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: July 27 2012, 13:57

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=001zrPzh6jE

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 14:41

Wonder how much of TB he's going to perform? Hoping its similar to the Berlin 2000 show excerpt he did, if not even longer.
Profile PM 
Reena Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 14:51

Well, I don't know what to expect exactly, but on dutch tv the reporter in London revealed that there is an artist with a very significant part in the show.... He wasn't allowed to say names, but one should think of Tubular Bells...

It was in the show "WNL:half acht live!" on NED3

It sounded to me as this being possibly the highlight of the show... No other artists were mentioned, and no hints were made to other artists...

I'm getting really excited now...
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 14:55

Quote (Cavalier (Lost Version) @ July 27 2012, 13:47)
Instead he was carrying a CD which he put it into a console playing his previous studio recordings.

Then with the world in the palm of his hands, he gives the nearest piano a few kicks, announces he wants to remember a couple of old friends and starts singing "Speak, vision of the night..."

Oh yes and then he might just as well swagger off, back to his TARDIS. And open the doors with a snap of his fingers. Mike in the TARDIS. Next stop: everywhere.

Sorry, we are talking fiction here anyway.

By the way, I still think David Tennant should dress like Doctor Who and light the torch. Like in the episode of that series. Mike would acompany him with the main theme tune on Bass. That would be grand.  :cool:
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 15:04

...not long now...wishing everyone - the participants, organisers and behind the scenes people - good luck for a truly memorable Opening Ceremony...can't wait now...it's like Christmas when we were children... :)  ....no, it's better than Christmas!

[ I did wonder if Danny Boyle is a Mike Oldfield fan, and that contributed to reasons for including him, as he is a very similar age to Mike and would probably have been aware of his music whilst growing up?  Also they both have an Irish connection in their background. ]

--------------

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 15:31

Quote (Black Bunik @ July 27 2012, 14:55)
Quote (Cavalier (Lost Version) @ July 27 2012, 13:47)

Oh yes and then he might just as well swagger off, back to his TARDIS. And open the doors with a snap of his fingers. Mike in the TARDIS. Next stop: everywhere.

Sorry, we are talking fiction here anyway.

By the way, I still think David Tennant should dress like Doctor Who and light the torch. Like in the episode of that series. Mike would acompany him with the main theme tune on Bass. That would be grand.  :cool:

Well the spectators are still there, thank goodness!  I think the organisers have decided not to tempt fate and  done just about everything to contradict the events that transpired back then, er, now, er... er....  Perhaps Russell T Davies got it wrong!

Huw Edwards is still doing the commentary though.  We're not out of the woods yet! :laugh:

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
nickko Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 16:42

Alléluia !!!
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: July 27 2012, 16:51

Epic!

TB1, TB2 and TB3
Profile PM 
191 replies since July 25 2012, 21:29 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (10) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net