Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike Oldfield Convention Reading UK 6th July -2013< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ThisName Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 05 2013, 06:14

I am up for coming but just having to sort out the finances. I will bring my Mike Oldfield trancriptions including the bound copy of Amarok (only 1 of 2 in the world) along.

I'm free for a Q+A about the process if that would be of interest to fans?

I have Incantions and Hergest Ridge to bring along as well.

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 05 2013, 11:01

Quote (Alan D @ April 04 2013, 16:32)
Will there be a quiet corner provided, with mugs of cocoa and comfy chairs?

Maybe tubular.net could sponsor a lounge, with an open fire (with roaring flames), leather armchairs and a selection of hot drinks and fine spirits. Maybe we could have a string quartet playing selections from Mike's oeuvre (see, I used a classy-sounding word...you can smell the mix of tweed and single malt already, can't you? A free drink goes to the first person to turn up wearing a monocle).
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: April 06 2013, 12:42

Quote (Korgscrew @ April 05 2013, 16:01)

Maybe tubular.net could sponsor a lounge, with an open fire (with roaring flames), leather armchairs and a selection of hot drinks and fine spirits. Maybe we could have a string quartet playing selections from Mike's oeuvre (see, I used a classy-sounding word...you can smell the mix of tweed and single malt already, can't you? A free drink goes to the first person to turn up wearing a monocle).

Sounds awesome! I'm afraid I don't have a monocle though.  ;)

My ticket is booked. Just deliberating whether to book a hotel room as well (Reading is quite a long drive from where I live).
Hope to see some of you there. It will be nice to finally get to meet some of you IRL.  :)

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
paul@mikeoldfield.org Offline

Posted: April 06 2013, 13:43

You should be OK for a week or so Cavalier. Tickets have been selling like hot cakes though and there are just a few rooms available at the on campus hotel ...

We'll try and include Q&A sessions. Terry has agreed to do one. Ryan has offered too and someone else has offered to do a MusicVR session. There will be some special guests too. More details as it firms up.

Any suggestions welcomed:-)

Paul
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: April 06 2013, 13:49

Just wondering...have you been in touch with Mike's current record company, they may or may not want to contribute something...or even be there?

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: April 06 2013, 13:53

Quote (tubular_trekkie @ April 06 2013, 12:42)
Quote (Korgscrew @ April 05 2013, 16:01)

Sounds awesome! I'm afraid I don't have a monocle though.  ;)

My ticket is booked. Just deliberating whether to book a hotel room as well (Reading is quite a long drive from where I live).
Hope to see some of you there. It will be nice to finally get to meet some of you IRL.  :)

I wear glasses...I get TWO drinks? :)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Bell Boy Offline

Posted: April 06 2013, 15:44

A live Skype conversation with Mike is a MUST !!!!
Q&A
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 06 2013, 17:00

Maybe call on the phone his new singer and hear him perform?
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: April 23 2013, 19:13

I truly wish I were joining you! It's been awhile since I've been much of anyplace except the New York to Missouri path! If I were going, I would love to engage Alan D. in a deep discussion (and won't admit to missing Bob D. at Cornell last weekend, arrgh) and I would make a point of drinking Bluepeter under the table for old time's sake, hahahahahaha! But seriously, if something happens at the last minute and I can get away, I shall indeed!

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: April 24 2013, 11:36

Quote (Inkanta @ April 23 2013, 23:13)
If I were going, I would love to engage Alan D. in a deep discussion (and won't admit to missing Bob D. at Cornell last weekend, arrgh)

Not sure I'm up to a 'deep' discussion about MO these days (or if I ever was), but I'd give a good deal to engage in any kind of discussion with you, M-C! (And I've done my own fair share of missing Bob D performances in recent years! )

It would be marvellous if you were able to be there, and I shall live in hope, even if faint. Very, very best.
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: May 20 2013, 18:12

I'm thinking I'd love to sport a TB t-shirt to the convention, but I sadly don't have one.

I'm also guessing the only place I could get one these days is on eBay? Unless anyone can offer any other suggestions?

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: May 20 2013, 19:40

Try here.

http://mikeoldfield.spreadshirt.net/
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: July 04 2013, 11:31

If I were going, I would be sure to replace the bug antennae with tubular bells ... http://compare.ebay.com/like....ar=sbar  :D

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Bell Boy Offline

Posted: July 06 2013, 16:26

Just got back, had to leave a little early, also Ive seen TB42.
What a greta day. The highlight being a live SKYPE interview with MO.FAB !!!!!
Also the Q&A with Tom Newman,Les Penning, Terry Oldfield,
Barry Palmer, Phil Newell, Phil Spalding where priceless.
LOVELY day !
Profile PM 
Nige Offline

Posted: July 07 2013, 01:35

Excellent event and very well organised by Paul & Chris of Dark Star.

Some very interesting insights from the various guests but, as Bell Boy said, the highlight was the Skype linkup with Mike who was on line for 30 minutes or so.  Things he covered included:
- New album coming on well but probably won't be released until early 2014 by the time it's finished and the record company have prepared the marketing etc.
- He's looking forward to doing the 5.1 mix for Amarok but, as the albums are being reissued chronologically, this won't be for a couple more years.
- As things stand, Heaven's Open will be the last reissue as the multitrack tapes from the Warner albums have been lost
- He won't be touring again (unless he gets asked to do another Olympic ceremony).  Apart from the actual performances, he did not enjoy the Night of the Proms experience in 2006 mostly as a result of his relationship with the management.

Following this, we were treated to performances by Terry Oldfield & his wife and Tubular Bells for Two.  Although Terry's music is not exactly my cup of tea, he and Soraya proved to be very engaging people who were able to pull you into their music and world through the insights they gave.  And TB42 - just amazing.

In the past, I have been quite critical about Mike Oldfield and his attitude to his fans (I, and a number of others, have on occasion been given short shrift by him and reports on this forum about the treatment of the fan guests at the MOTS premier were not positive) but I have to say that, on this occasion, he went above and beyond what anyone could have expected.

Once again, thank you to everyone involved in the organisation and delivery of this event.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: July 07 2013, 16:27

Facebook is ablaze with chatter about the Convention, and it was as amazing as can be, but I do know not every Mike fan uses that platform, so i'll try to get some photo's up at the Tub.net gallery. I have a few seconds of the Skype chat recorded,not the whole thing but I saw many others with camera phones and camcorders.

Suffice to say, it seems Mike has truly mellowed as he's hit 60 and a warm place to live. He engaged with the fans, and Caroline his PA has obviously been a major part in getting Mike to embrace modern Social Media.

The finale of the night - Tubular Bells for 2 - can only be described as magnificent. If you have a chance to see them before they put this project to bed and embark on solo careers - you simply MUST see them!

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Posted: July 07 2013, 17:19

Thanks for the updates guys! Only sorry I couldn't be there it sounded fab :)

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Nige Offline

Posted: July 08 2013, 01:53

A DVD of TB42 is available from here for those interested:

http://www.birdland.com.au/catalogue/category631/p63975

Postage probably quite high for sending outside Australia but, having bought a copy at the show, I can definitely recommend it.
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: July 09 2013, 12:58

Quote (Nige @ July 07 2013, 01:35)
Excellent event and very well organised by Paul & Chris of Dark Star.

I watched the skype interview on youtube. Great !
What about Barry Palmer & Phil Spalding ? Any interesting information ?
Profile PM 
Jerome C Offline

Posted: July 09 2013, 18:11

For those who didn't find it the entire skype is filmed with a very good image quality here (1st out of 4) but the skype sound itself (and image) was terrible, I'm not a native English speaker and it was very hard for me to understand what he said, better said I got probably 20% of what he answered.

So amazing but very frustrating for me.

It seems this convention was great, I would have loved to be there but it was really impossible. Maybe if there is another one before he passes out - with virtual reality suits and 4D immersive skype please !

--------------
Jerome C
(long time out of here, but always having MO in mind somewhere)
Profile PM 
68 replies since Mar. 19 2013, 14:15 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net