Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 3 [4] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike Oldfield Convention Reading UK 6th July -2013< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
stpaul Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 07 2013, 00:00

Quote (Korgscrew @ Aug. 06 2013, 18:29)
Quote (adler @ Aug. 06 2013, 19:01)
I felt, from the interviews, that the relation between Maggie and the others musician at that time were not so good  :)

You can say that again! From all I can gather, Maggie really doesn't like Mike...

She never talked badly about MO. Years ago Maggie mentioned she was quite happy beeing part of the MO Group and got along very well with the musicians. She was friend to Morris Pert and is still in contact with Tim Renwick. Maybe things changed during Discovery Tour.
You can call it ungrateful or conceited to refuse singing 'Man in The Rain' or performing at Night OF The Proms in 2006 but in my opinion it's consistent.
Maybe she's not interested in fan meetings as she has still her own career.
Profile PM 
seventeen64 Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2013, 12:19

Quote (Korgscrew @ April 05 2013, 11:01)
Quote (Alan D @ April 04 2013, 16:32)
Will there be a quiet corner provided, with mugs of cocoa and comfy chairs?

Maybe tubular.net could sponsor a lounge, with an open fire (with roaring flames), leather armchairs and a selection of hot drinks and fine spirits. Maybe we could have a string quartet playing selections from Mike's oeuvre (see, I used a classy-sounding word...you can smell the mix of tweed and single malt already, can't you? A free drink goes to the first person to turn up wearing a monocle).

Come on now, we need to keep it simple, with beer, and cheese!

You know how to get there as well... :D

--------------
life is not one-dimensional
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 08 2013, 01:14

Quote (seventeen64 @ Aug. 07 2013, 16:19)
Come on now, we need to keep it simple, with beer, and cheese!

If you really want to simplify, we could just have this - beer and cheese in one.

After hearing how Mike used to occasionally get dragged face-down across the ridge with his foot stuck in the stirrup, I think I won't recommend that it be eaten on horseback (though I suppose, to be pedantic, if you're getting dragged face-down, you're not really on horseback so much as under horse legs).
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2013, 09:40

M Rielly seemed very happy working on tour. I have seen her live 3 times with Mike and they seemed very happy together. The band were the type of people who seemed fun loving and easy going. How do you know MR refused to sing Man In The Rain ? Not his best song anyway so perhaps no loss. If anybody was difficult perhaps it was Mike as he doesn't appear to have many friends for long. Did you read the Amy Laurer interviews ? That (if true) said a lot. Perhaps MR is not one to pander to rock star egos and good on her if she sticks to what she believes.
Profile PM WEB 
Jerome C Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2013, 17:26

Regarding MR and MO here is a copy of part of a discussion on the Amarok mailing list back in january / february, Elf is talking :

De: Elf <xxx@yyy.org>
Date : 30 janvier 2013 17:32
Pour: The Original Mike Oldfield mailing list <amarok@ommadawn.net>
Sujet: [Amarok] Maggie Reilly, Glasgow Tron Theatre

Hi, David.

Thanks for a very nice review.

> One thing which struck me was the complete lack of mention of Mike
> Oldfield. I was under the impression that their parting ways in the mid-80s
> was driven by Maggie Reilly's desire to start a family, and had never
> thought of any animosity between the two. Is there any story here, or am I
> reading into this too much?
>
No, you're not. She hates Mike's guts.

In 1999 Maggie Reiily was interviewed for the Norwegian newspaper VG by a friend of mine. I was present during the interview. It was for an article about all the songs that had been the number 1 song of the year during the VG record chart's existence.Her single "Every time we touch" was the most selling single in Norway in 1993, so they talked about that song and her career.

When she started talking about Mike, she became so agitated that her manager intervened and stopped her. She claimed she was responsible for the song becoming a huge hit, and that Mike had always tried to downplay her role in creating the song. According to her, every time Mike was asked who sang the song, he only replied "It's just someone in my band, the bass player is also someone in my band."

I don't remember the details any more, it's almost 14 years ago, but she also said that Mike treated her like shit during the tours. My friend even wrote in the article that hatred was glowing from her eyes when she talked about Mike, and from my memory, he wasn't exaggerating. I've been trying to find the article again, but I'm not able to. Will look some more.

So no, you don't read too much into it.

and here another part :

De: David Bruce <xxx@yyy.com>
Date : 30 janvier 2013 16:10
Pour: Amarok Mailing List <amarok@ommadawn.net>
Sujet: [Amarok] Maggie Reilly, Glasgow Tron Theatre

Hi all

As promised, here's my short review of the Maggie Reilly concert on Sunday night. There's also a 'professional' review on the Herald website here: http://www.heraldscotland.com/arts-en....0036920

Firstly, the 200-odd seater venue was packed. I'm not sure if it was sold out, but we were fairly late in arriving and were directed to the last few seats next to the door on the top tier. Although the audience was fairly mute during songs, there was a certain intimacy to the evening.

Dressed in black and wearing dark-rimmed glasses throughout, Maggie was very relaxed and confident, introducing most tracks with some background and bantering with the audience throughout, and freely wandering around the stage during instrumental breaks. Long-time songwriting partner Stuart MacKillop played keyboards and triggered a few backing tracks (backing tracks not being a favourite of mine, but only really noticeable on a couple of songs), and seemingly saw no distinction between playing at home and playing for a crowd - wearing a jumper with the sleeves rolled up and regularly drinking from a mug by his keyboard. At least the young bassist made an effort with his 80s'dance inspired look, fitting well with the style of some of the songs played later in the evening.

Maggie's voice has certainly stood the test of time well. She sounded exactly like the voice from the mid-80s that we're all familiar with, and didn't look to be struggling at all throughout the 80-minute show. Backed with a competent band, the sound was good, but sometimes suffered from having an awkward mix - usually with keyboard or programmed parts too loud.
I thought a couple of parts suffered from unimaginative drumming (being overly reliant on snare rolls), but my friend - the singer in our band - disagreed. A talented backing band gave plenty of all-round entertainment, with some enjoyable guitar and drum solos, and some excellent backing vocals from the bassist.

>From an Oldfield fan's perspective, the show included the two most obvious songs, To France and Moonlight Shadow. The first was played early in the set (third song), and introduced as "a song that I wrote with someone very
famous a long time ago". It was an interesting turn of phrase, not to name- the artist who was responsible for much of her recognition. The arrangement was similar to that on her 2009 album Looking Back, Moving Forward - lacking the varied musicality of the original Oldfield recording, but retaining enough of the motifs to still acknowledge it. The acoustic guitar
solo was skipped in favour of a longer guitar outro, during which the guitarist duly quoted phrases from the acoustic solo of the original. It's given us a little inspiration for how to get our own cover version sounding better.

Moonlight Shadow had a similarly vague introduction, along the lines of it being "that time of the evening already" (presumably referencing reaching the final few songs of the night) and that we "might recognise this one". A fairly standard version of the song followed, with some top class guitar work throughout - again including some Oldfield quotes yet with some originality. Hearing Maggie Reilly's voice singing her most recognisable song was one of the highlights of the evening, as evidenced by the
rapturous applause which followed.

The only other Oldfield reference was so obscure I would never have expected it. Accompanied by her acoustic guitarist, she performed a lovely version of Ireland's Eye, which many of us will recognise from Orabidoo.
Even more interesting was that she introduced it as a song that she wrote with Rick Fenn. Although I knew Orabidoo was credited to the whole Five Mile Out band, I didn't know this section was written by Reilly/Fenn. Based on a little Internet research today, it seems this isn't a well documented fact online, so perhaps this is the first time this information has been shared?

The rest of the set was a mix of songs from throughout her career, including some yet-unreleased tracks, interspersed with interesting background on where the songs originated. I knew very few of the other songs played, but never felt bored or distracted. All in all it was a thoroughly entertaining evening and would recommend anyone to go see her if you get the chance.

I managed to capture a video of the last 25 minutes of the show, which I'll share in the next few days if anyone's interested. It's a "phone propped in pocket" video, so falls victim to the odd badly placed head in front of the camera and some wobbling, but still gives a nice impression of the evening. I managed to catch Ireland's Eye as well, missing the intro while I fumbled
to get it to record.

One thing which struck me was the complete lack of mention of Mike Oldfield. I was under the impression that their parting ways in the mid-80s was driven by Maggie Reilly's desire to start a family, and had never thought of any animosity between the two. Is there any story here, or am I reading into this too much?

David

--------------
Jerome C
(long time out of here, but always having MO in mind somewhere)
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Oct. 18 2013, 06:10

I am not surprised to hear that MR found life with Mike difficult. In probably most of the videos I have seen and indeed in the one concert I was lucky enough to attend, it looked like she couldn't hear herself over Mike's foldback.  She seemed to spend most of her time on stage with a finger in her ear.

I have seen one video (which reckons it was Dortmund 1984 but it's clearly not because it's the '81 crew) and Mike is wearing headphones during the whole thing. Maggie can hear herself and she is loving it.  :p  She really belts it out in the gig too. It still looks like she's singing into an SM57 which seems a bit mean to me but anyway she sounds great.

MR was a big part of Mike's sound during what I consider his halcyon days and I have a lot of love and respect for her.

Anyway, time for beer... and cheese. :D
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Oct. 18 2013, 15:30

Mike's relationship with Virgin over the years may sometimes play out a bit like "What have the Romans ever done for us?"  but while I wouldn't presume to tell Maggie Reilly that any sleights done to her were trivial, it's not clear to me when such schisms became irreversible.  Mike's recollections of her and her contributions have never seemed to be ungenerous to me, but all that could easily be overshadowed by even just one instance of denigration.  Perhaps the last couple of tours saw swings in the balance of power as the Moonlight Shadow effect took hold, and maybe financial arrangements proved less enticing as a result.  Others have had their moments to remember on the road with Mike; Maggie's experiences could have made her tell Mike to take a running jump when the Colombia volcano concert came up, yet she turned up.  Unless you're about to tell me it was an old recording revisited, what could have been the incentive to turn up for the Earth Moving sessions?

Perhaps, as dodgy as the experience would have been for her, there had been the promise of tours to support the next albums whenever they were produced.  Did she expect Blue Night to be a lead single?  Maybe she tuned into the Edinburgh Castle concert and saw all the people from the Scottish music scene that she'd told Mike were her sworn enemies?

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Oct. 21 2013, 11:00

Quote (Cavalier (Lost Version) @ Oct. 18 2013, 15:30)
Mike's relationship with Virgin over the years may sometimes play out a bit like "What have the Romans ever done for us?"  but while I wouldn't presume to tell Maggie Reilly that any sleights done to her were trivial, it's not clear to me when such schisms became irreversible.  

Mmm....hard to say.  My gut reaction is to say that where there is life, there is always hope of reconciliation. Look at Mike and Richard B. :) Regarding MR, who knows.

It is a testimony to their professionalism that despite what may have been going on behind the scenes that the audiences didn't know anything was amiss.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
First_Excursion Offline

Posted: Oct. 21 2013, 18:23

Quote (Inkanta @ Oct. 21 2013, 11:00)
It is a testimony to their professionalism that despite what may have been going on behind the scenes that the audiences didn't know anything was amiss.

Something looked amiss to me; looked like Mike refused to compromise on a quieter stage sound so that his lead vocalist could hear herself.
Profile PM 
68 replies since Mar. 19 2013, 14:15 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 3 [4] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net