Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike Oldfield and the graphic novel, How I was introduced to Mike Oldfield< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Dartmoor Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 26 2015, 14:14

Greetings everyone,

I would like to share my personal story of how I was introduced to Mike Odfield's wonderful music. I was born in november 1975, shortly after Ommadawn was released.

When I was 15 years old I was introduced to Mike Oldfield's music in a very special way. Around that time I was really into the work of Swiss writer and penciler Cosey. He made a graphic novel called "Jonathan". Jonathan's first album was made around 1975. The graphic novel was about the alter ego of the author, a poetic, sensitive, hippy-esque character called Jonathan. The stories and art were something quite new, it appealed to the sixties and early seventies generation of dreamers and poets. There was also something quite unique about these books: on the back cover Cosey suggested with every story 3 records that the reader should listen to while reading the graphic novel. And that's how I was introduced to Tubular Bells, Hergest Ridge, Ommadawn and Incantations. I didn't own those albums but fortunately I had a friend whose father had a gigantic record collection. He showed me all those records. I can still remember the first time I listened to those albums. I was in awe, mesmerized, entranced... this was music like I had never heard before in my life.

Later on I bought the cds and listened to them over and over again. It felt like the music became part of who I was and am. The music went straight to my heart and soul, and remains there forever and ever. To this day these 4 albums remain my alltime favourite music. I followed Mike's music over the years, and I have to say: those four albums will always remain my favourite ones.

Just felt like sharing this with you. Thanks for listening!

--------------
So if you feel a little glum
To Hergest Ridge you should come
Profile PM 
qcfoetus Offline

Posted: Feb. 27 2015, 16:10

Thanks for sharing this lovely story. It reminds me of how I got to be introduced to Mike's music.

It happened in the summer of 1974, not long before I turned 16. Having decided it was time for me to get off my ***, my father had found me a job in a state park one hour away from home. He had basically dumped me there (at least that's how it felt), working and living with a bunch of guys in their early 20s who all drank, smoked grass, partied every night... basically did real-life, adult things I didn't know much about at the time. So there I was, alone and scared in this god foresaken place when one night, in the middle of yet another party I wouldn't dare walk out of, this guy puts on this incredible music! I can still picture the portable 4-track tape recorder, smack right in the middle of the floor. Following some irresistible force, I lied down next to it, transfixed, my ear glued to the speaker. The magic lasted eleven minutes... Music had crashed into my life, and things would never be the same for me. The artist's name was Mike Oldfield, and I had just experienced what would later be called Harmonics, Peace and Bagpipe Guitars (TB side 2).

Today, 40 years later, Mike's music is still a central part of my life. I've found something to like, to love, in all of his albums, but the first four will always hold a very special place in my heart.

Thanks Mike!
Profile PM 
Priabonia Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2015, 13:41

I can't remember when/how I first came across Mike's music, but it was some time in the mid 70s...all I had for some time was Tubular Bells, and I used to listen to Side One on repeat (OK in those days it was a case of rewinding the cassette...). Strangely I wasn't such a fan of Side Two, but now I would prefer that...though I have somewhat grown out of TB as it is a bit too "raw".

At some point I must have added Hergest Ridge to the collection, and its pastoral beauty transported me far away. Of course, then along came the short but perfectly formed Ommadawn...and then the great drought before my all time favourite, Incantations.

I can only agree with Dartmoor when s/he says "The music went straight to my heart and soul, and remains there forever and ever. To this day these 4 albums remain my alltime favourite music. I followed Mike's music over the years, and I have to say: those four albums will always remain my favourite ones."...I love all sorts of music, from minimalism to folk to prog metal, but it's those first four albums (OK, maybe three...) which I can return to again and again.

--------------
https://www.youtube.com/user/PriaboniaMusic

www.soundcloud.com/just-before-dawn
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: May 16 2015, 17:19

Thank you, Dartmoor - there's always something new to learn about how Mike reaches other artists and their fans!  Last year we saw how many were entranced by Nuclear, thanks to Hideo Kojima's patronage.

I recently saw evidence of another fan with a creative talent.  I followed a Twitter picture of four anime women, to its source Tweet, and found that a fan was tracing the musical inspirations of the animation's creator; namely King Crimson, Yes and Mike Oldfield.  In turn, I traced the animes of the gentleman in question and modesty prevents me from going in to more detail.  Let's just say that for good or ill, so far he has only named his works after King Crimson tracks! :O

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
3 replies since Feb. 26 2015, 14:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net