Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike nominated for Classical BRIT Awards 2009< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Black Bunik Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 16 2009, 16:10

I voted too. I hope he wiiiiins. :)
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 16 2009, 19:37

Quote (timshen @ Mar. 14 2009, 05:08)
Added my vote :-) Anyone heard any of the other choices? - i'm simply voting as I love Mike's music, MOTS being up high in the list.

I think loyalty is really the only reason Mike would win this one. The competition would be insurmountable. It's probably debatable that MOTS is "classical" anyway, as "classical" has long since lost its meaning. "Orchestral" would probably be a better category.

From my own point of view MotS is unique in that it's the only record of his since Incantations that completely leaves me cold. I don't think he works well in a constrained framework; he needs to soar, just as exegesis enabled him to soar.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 16 2009, 20:39

Quote (nightspore @ Mar. 17 2009, 00:37)
From my own point of view MotS is unique in that it's the only record of his since Incantations that completely leaves me cold. I don't think he works well in a constrained framework; he needs to soar, just as exegesis enabled him to soar.

Wow. The Millenium Bell gives you more "warmth" than Music of the Spheres? Really?

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2009, 06:56

Quote (Matt @ Mar. 16 2009, 20:39)
Wow. The Millenium Bell gives you more "warmth" than Music of the Spheres? Really?

Infinitely more, Matt. "Amber Light", "Peace on Earth", and "Santa Maria" are among my all-time favourite MO pieces.
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 17 2009, 07:06

Quote (nightspore @ Mar. 17 2009, 11:56)
Quote (Matt @ Mar. 16 2009, 20:39)

Infinitely more, Matt. "Amber Light", "Peace on Earth", and "Santa Maria" are among my all-time favourite MO pieces.

OK, to each their own I guess. For me it is almost completely the other way around! "On my heart", "Aurora" and "Harmonia Mundi" being some of my all time favourites! Guess that is just one of the things that makes Mikes music so great, they way it affects different people in different ways  :)

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2009, 09:48

We should vote for Mike,even if we like MOTS or not  ;)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2009, 04:26

If it gets him some well deserved recognition for something other than Tubular Bells then i agree entirely.
 Unfortunately he will always be remembered for TB by those that don't know his work as if that's the only thing he's done.I'm sure you all have other albums which you prefer to the original TB (Ommadawn knocks spots of it IMHO as much as i still love TB)so lets get him some respect even if it is only in the Classical world and not the wider world.
Where's that banner???? :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2009, 04:43

With all due respect I`d be a bit disappointed if Hayley Westenra won it,given that her chosen album is only a compilation..And what`s the deal with The Salvation Army "first mainstream album"??? Yeah so what the blazes have they been knocking out before now?..Trip-hop Brass?..Street Marching Psychobilly Skiffle?..Or maybe it`s their first album on a major label I guess.You know they`ve finaly sold out to the corporate man,and snubbed their loyal indie fan base.Can`t wait to see the pastel silhoutte ipod commercial,with some dude bopping around to it.And as for those Male Voice Choir fellas,now into their 61st year...Are we seriously meant to believe that any of those guys are the original members?..Although on the other hand there`s still three of em` in The Rolling Stones at last count,so I guess you never know?..
Profile PM 
Burning Fish Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2009, 14:00

Voted for Mike!

--------------
"Lemon curry?"
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2009, 14:38

Quote (nightspore @ Mar. 17 2009, 01:37)
Quote (timshen @ Mar. 14 2009, 05:08)
Added my vote :-) Anyone heard any of the other choices? - i'm simply voting as I love Mike's music, MOTS being up high in the list.

I think loyalty is really the only reason Mike would win this one. The competition would be insurmountable. It's probably debatable that MOTS is "classical" anyway, as "classical" has long since lost its meaning. "Orchestral" would probably be a better category.

Wow! I think you probably are on of the few who likes the Millenium Bell. I agree with you on "Peace on Earth", "Amber Light" and "Santa Maria" as on of the better tracks, but for me the Millenium Bell is one of the lesser albums Mike made, and MOTS is my opinion far better.

On the opposite, I believe Incantations is probably one of the best albums Mike has ever done! Not because it is very complex, but also because it gives me a lot of joy. I love his use of orchestra/trumpets and the synthesizers on Incantations. It fits perfectly along the instrumentals of Hergest Ridge, Ommadawn and the latter Amarok. And I've been watching the Exposed DVD more and more lately. :)

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Mar. 18 2009, 16:31

@ Dirk: I don't really care about Hayley's album being a compilation, I have it and I love it. For me a compilation, when it's done as well as this, is a very nice starting point for one (like me) who owns nothing of an artist's output. Compilations start becoming bad when there are too many of 'em and the tracks are just assembled together - not really "chosen". :D

Also (and please forgive me for saying this) I think that dissing every album in a category except for the one that you are a fan of - just because you are a fan of that album and not of the others - is very unsportsmanlike (as Roy Batty would've put it :D) and very un-fan-like. If you really are a fan of Mike's who appreciates classical music, then, after having voted for Mike, you shouldn't say anything at all about the other candidates. At least this is how I see it. [By the way, as far as I know the current line-up of the Rolling Stones features FOUR original members, not three.]

However, when I saw River of Dreams among the candidates, I was almost (and I say ALMOST! :)) tempted to vote for it. But I voted for MotS.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Major Gowen Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2009, 01:39

I didn't even realize there was a classical Brits, shows how detached I get out here in the States, even with the internet. Anyway, vote cast for Mike - it would be great for him to receive some kind of official recognition, after all it seems to me the music business treats him pretty shabbily. Normally I couldn't care less about award ceremonies but just this once I hope he wins it.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2009, 04:28

Quote (Ugo @ Mar. 18 2009, 21:31)
@ Dirk: I don't really care about Hayley's album being a compilation, I have it and I love it. For me a compilation, when it's done as well as this, is a very nice starting point for one (like me) who owns nothing of an artist's output. Compilations start becoming bad when there are too many of 'em and the tracks are just assembled together - not really "chosen". :D

Also (and please forgive me for saying this) I think that dissing every album in a category except for the one that you are a fan of - just because you are a fan of that album and not of the others - is very unsportsmanlike (as Roy Batty would've put it :D) and very un-fan-like. If you really are a fan of Mike's who appreciates classical music, then, after having voted for Mike, you shouldn't say anything at all about the other candidates. At least this is how I see it. [By the way, as far as I know the current line-up of the Rolling Stones features FOUR original members, not three.]

However, when I saw River of Dreams among the candidates, I was almost (and I say ALMOST! :)) tempted to vote for it. But I voted for MotS.

Well nothing against Hayley Ugo,but imo a compilation is not an original work that`s all there is to it.As far as I`m aware they don`t allow compilations to be considered in the ordinary Brits,but I could be wrong.

As for the "unsportsmanlike" stuff, well I was just trying to have a little joke there really.Maybe it got lost in translation a little,and probably just as well on my part I decided to self-edit most of it anyway.That said as soon as I saw the list of some of the albums Mike is up against there,I have to say I kind of despaired a little.Even though I basicaly already knew the "type" of "classical" music that was going to be on there anyway.But you know how many of those other artists actualy composed the music on the album etc?Does Mike Oldfield look like he should even be there to you?At the end of the day I can`t say I`m too familiar with the rest of the people on the list so I`ll say no more on the matter.I voted for Mike,and I hope he wins.But if he does`nt win I shall neither be surprised or dissapointed.

Ronnie Wood was not an original member of The Rolling Stones btw,even though he kind of looks like he should be.Which in my book leaves Mick,Charley & Keef..With dear old Brian Jones departed and Bill Wyman playing the blues or something.In actual fact I don`t think Mick Jagger was there from day one,so there are really now only two original members still in the band.Sorry to be pedantic there.. :p
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2009, 05:14

Aaah I`ve looked it up on the net and Mick was there from the begining so three it is..Bloody hell man I was right the first time,now you`re getting me confused..   :p

Anyway vote for Mike,the guy rules..Would`nt it be great if women in uniform came around your local boozer dishing out copies of Dark Star rather than some other un-named publication.It`d be pretty darn` cool I reckon.
Profile PM 
bob Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2009, 08:58

Would`nt it be great if women in uniform came around your local boozer dishing out copies of Dark Star rather than some other un-named publication.It`d be pretty darn` cool I reckon.
singing-Trying to sell the Watchtower waiting hour by hour - (to the tune of Crises)
Bob
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2009, 09:50

:D Yeah The Watchtower wasn`t actualy the specific one I was thinking of there,but I`ll happily go along with that.
Profile PM 
clotty Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Mar. 22 2009, 08:55

I'm guessing that if Mike is going to have any chance of winning the Best Album award, then he is going to need to have air-time on Classic FM.

I often have Classic FM on in the background during the day and I have not heard any tracks off Music of the Spheres played since it was album of the week just before its launch.

So whilst I'm hoping to eat my words when he wins, I suspect that he doesn't have a hope, despite our best efforts here.

Or am I wrong and do they play it every time I switch the radio off?

--------------
Clotty
Profile PM WEB 
revster Offline

Posted: Mar. 25 2009, 18:32

my votes in lets hope he wins ..
Profile PM 
simmo2005 Offline

Posted: April 06 2009, 09:54

It is perfectly possible that he could also be nominated in the other, as yet unannounced categories, i.e. 'Male Artist Of The Year' or 'Critic's Choice'!
Profile PM 
bevy Offline

Posted: April 06 2009, 14:14

Voted!  :D
Profile PM 
70 replies since Mar. 11 2009, 14:18 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net