Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 3 [4] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike nominated for Classical BRIT Awards 2009< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ratty Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 09 2009, 07:40

quote from Blue Dolphin.

"Wow! I think you probably are on of the few who likes the Millenium Bell"

I like Millenium Bell, the only track i am not too keen on is mastermind. Broad Sunlit Uplands is a beautiful piece.

Oh yeah, ive voted too!!!

Dirk - brilliant comments mate, love the Sally Army selling out to their fans quote, quality. Oh, and if it is bad sportsmanship voting for MOTS over a compilation album and and the Sally Army then im with you!! (Incidentally, just heard that Pete Tong's looking to re mix Onward Christian Soldiers with a thumping baseline mixed with tamborines and rattling collection boxes) !!;)  

What next? Hare Krishna Trance and Hard House? big box, little box !!  

MOTS for classical album 2009, we say yeeee!!!

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: April 09 2009, 11:49

Quote (Ratty @ April 09 2009, 07:40)
quote from Blue Dolphin.

"Wow! I think you probably are on of the few who likes the Millenium Bell"

I like Millenium Bell, the only track i am not too keen on is mastermind. Broad Sunlit Uplands is a beautiful piece.

I like The Millennium Bell too.

I've voted several times now. By rights Mike should win hands down - no-one else comes close to his composition talents alone.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: April 20 2009, 13:40

Quote (simmo2005 @ April 06 2009, 10:54)
It is perfectly possible that he could also be nominated in the other, as yet unannounced categories, i.e. 'Male Artist Of The Year' or 'Critic's Choice'!

The nominees for the other Classical Brits have just been released on the Classical Brits website today...and Mike was only nominated for Best Album.

Not too bad for Mike dear!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
wiga Offline

Posted: April 20 2009, 15:53

Thought he might also be up for Composer of the Year.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: April 20 2009, 17:41

This is beginning to make me cross. I have been listening to Classic FM in the mornings for a while now, i went to one of their concerts in the Royal Albert Hall only last week ( it was very good by the way, a lovely evening ) & from time to time I do buy the Classic FM magazine, so I do feel I have every right to say this...

we hear a lot about the Priests, Andrea Bocelli & Katherine Jenkins - all pretty predictable in my view as some of the other contenders for the Classic Brits Awards , but only a small mention and a very few bars of Music of the Spheres. You could easily miss it if you were not listening properly. Yet again Mike gets left out...and I really want to see him get some kind of recognition for his true talent as an artist / composer. What is wrong with these people??? I remember he was interviewed by them a while back not long after MOTS came out, but why don't they still play any of the album? Or do a feature on him as a contemporary composer? Their current composer in residence, Howard Goodall, was responsible for the music in Blackadder, Mr Bean & the Vicar of Dibley...so he's not exactly ' a pure classicist'. I have e mailed a show to ask for them to play more. Even if you are not a fan of Mike Oldfield you cannot say that is not good classical music. A Karl Jenkins piece was even chosen as one of the top 100 tracks...why can't people broaden their narrow little horizons?

And I agree, good album, but also, one of the greatest composers we have, he deserves to be recognised.

sorry for having a rant, it's been one of those days, and this was the straw that broke the camel's back....fell better now! :)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 

Posted: April 20 2009, 19:39

The classical world is so narrow minded that everything that comes outside their world,they have a lot of prejudice. Rock/pop artists who decide to write classical stuff like in Mike's case are not taken seriously by those people...

About not being nominated as composer of the year,I was hopeful in the early days,but when the contenders were revealed today,I thought,"Mike lacks something for those people to reconize him as composer".

Dunno if he will get the Album of the Year award...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: April 21 2009, 07:56

In all honesty I don't think Mike is going to win, much as it pains me to say so.

I think there are several reasons for this - the most obvious one being the very high probability that The Priests are going to win hands down. They had the biggest selling classical album of the year, so in terms of sheer numbers I would think they are a shoo-in.

It's not only that though.
Even if The Priests hadn't been nominated it's doubtful Mike would have much of a chance seeing as he doesn't get the promotion or exposure that he really deserves. As bee points out, Classic FM only spotlighted Mike & MoTS when the album first came out, more as a sort of 'oh look it's that Tubular Bells bloke again' interest piece.

Well, perhaps I'm being too harsh there, but there is I believe a tendency to continually pigeon-hole Mike as either '70s prog rock has-been' or 'producer of new age doodlings' without actually looking at his enormous talent and range of work. He has such a unique style coupled with a free-wheeling approach to musical genre I sometimes think he's just too 'out there' for a lot of people.

MoTS might be classical, but it's Oldfield Classical™. And for a lot of folks (including Classic FM it would seem) that means 'weird crossover stuff' - with the unspoken insinuation that it's just for geeks and isn't part of any mainstream genre.

It's all very annoying and silly IMO. And I can't see it changing anytime soon.  :(

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
bob Offline

Posted: April 30 2009, 06:35

Only just ove 12 hours to get your vote in ,voting closrs at midnight tonight
   Bob
Profile PM 

Posted: April 30 2009, 22:36

Voting is over!

Fingers crossed!

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
bob Offline

Posted: May 01 2009, 03:50

OOPS my mistake voting closes at 23:59 today sorry for any panic caused
     Bob
Profile PM 
Silver Negus Offline

Posted: June 02 2009, 07:21

I went to the Classical Brits to do an article and take some pictures and I thought I would hate it as I'm quite closed minded on opera music.  But I was pleasantly surprised I actually enjoyed the singing and the songs were not too long and by no means over bearing. I loved the theatrical feel of everything, and the costume, lighting and ballet dancing too.

My daughter loved it too and she said to me ' I want to sing like those girls.'- Bless her!

However I nearly laughed at Lang Lang whilst he was playing the piano as he was head banging so much it looked like his head was about to fall off!

'Music of the Spheres' didn't win Best Album, but never mind maybe next year!  Hans Zimmer won 'Best Soundtrack.- 'The Dark Knight' soundtrack.
Profile PM 
70 replies since Mar. 11 2009, 14:18 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 3 [4] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net