[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike moving to the Bahamas< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
toMtOm Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 02 2009, 03:53

Hi,
Has anybody got an idea where can I found Mike's house on the GoogleEarth? The map is quite detailed on that area, maybe we will find the solution: too close to the motorway, too far from the beach :)
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: April 04 2009, 11:51

I am finding GoogleEarth downright frightening! Interesting, fun, but invasive. On my own house, you can even see the Obama sign out front (was snapped in the fall, apparently).

The Bahamas: Looking out on a cold, grey, snowy April morning in Ithaca, NY, a tropical home sounds totally great! Perhaps it will be his winter home. <wistfully remembers another island near there in January and how pleasant it was>

I've only lived in two different regions of the US for any length of time, but I am happy to have done so--it deepens one's experience of the area.  Fourteen years spent in Missouri, even though I complained about it at times, had the effect for me of not being able to sell my house because I didn't want to lose that connection. So, I rent it, thinking that some day I may want to return (an advantage of not having a hugely expensive house! ). We'll see!

To have an opportunity to live in different countries and areas of the planet, particularly because you want to be there (as opposed to being force-relocated due to political unheavals or economic reasons) is a gift and an opportunity.

I'm not sure how anyone could leave the UK forever--it is the place where my heart flies (along with Australia). Several years ago, my daughters and I did a UK driving tour. We spent a couple nights at the Beacon (didn't hike HR that trip because the youngest two might have melted in the rain to hear them talk, arrgghh), meditated at Stonehenge (great thing to be able to pay a bit extra for time alone in the circle ), visited Glastonbury, Avebury, Bath, Buxton, Hay-on-Wye, Derby, and London. Such gorgeous, gorgeous country. Got misplaced in Wales, driving from Kington to Hay-on-Wye. The kids thanked me for that!  The UK is very vegetarian-friendly, unlike many places here in the US (though the Ithaca area is an exception).  I cannot WAIT until the next trip to the UK, hopefully this summer!

At any rate, all the best to Mike, Fanny, and kids--my heart rate slows just thinking of the beautiful beaches and the warm, wet sand squishing between toes.  :)

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 06 2009, 04:04

Just hope we have better weather for you this year.We didn't get a summer last year.Just lots of rain!For a temperate climate it was decidedly tropical-in the wet season!
  Saying that though this year is shaping up to be a good one as the spring has been really very pleasant. :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Legend Offline

Posted: April 19 2009, 03:33

Bahamas?? Don´t they have a totally smoking ban???  ;)
Profile PM 
Ghostmojo Offline

Posted: April 19 2009, 06:50

Quote (Inkanta @ April 04 2009, 11:51)
... Looking out on a cold, grey, snowy April morning in Ithaca, NY, a tropical home sounds totally great ... my heart rate slows just thinking of the beautiful beaches and the warm, wet sand squishing between toes

Why not move Inkanta from Ithaca, NY to the original Ithaka in Greece?

http://www.greekisland.co.uk/ithaka/ithaka.htm

The land of Homer, of Odysseus and Penelope - of Tales Of Brave Ulysses - of sunshine, azure skies and turquoise seas. With nearby Kefalonia, Lefkas and Zakynthos (or Zante which I have visited).

I quite fancy it myself being a serious Hellenophile :) "tiny purple fishes run laughing through your fingers"

--------------
" ... if you feel a little glum - to Hergest Ridge you should come ... "
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: April 20 2009, 04:31

@Legend.If they have a total smoking ban does this mean that he will have to foresake his Old Holborne?One of the reasons he left the UK was because of the ban on smoking in public places.Strange place to choose to live for a heavy smoker.Perhaps he's planning on giving up.Good luck to him if he is.
@Ghostmojo "you thought the leaden winter would bring you down forever".One of my all time favourite songs from my all time favourite band!

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: April 27 2009, 07:23

:D mike and fanny have been working hard, fanny has jake and eugene in a place mike can relax with the family, enjoy mike and fanny, have a second honeymoon! best wishes, deb
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: April 27 2009, 09:44

Quote (Ghostmojo @ April 19 2009, 06:50)
Quote (Inkanta @ April 04 2009, 11:51)
... Looking out on a cold, grey, snowy April morning in Ithaca, NY, a tropical home sounds totally great ... my heart rate slows just thinking of the beautiful beaches and the warm, wet sand squishing between toes

Why not move Inkanta from Ithaca, NY to the original Ithaka in Greece?

http://www.greekisland.co.uk/ithaka/ithaka.htm

The land of Homer, of Odysseus and Penelope - of Tales Of Brave Ulysses - of sunshine, azure skies and turquoise seas. With nearby Kefalonia, Lefkas and Zakynthos (or Zante which I have visited).

I quite fancy it myself being a serious Hellenophile :) "tiny purple fishes run laughing through your fingers"

Heh--sounds like a plan to me. :)  Although...atm, Ithaca in upstate NY is in bloom...sweet, fragrant apple blossoms scent the air and bright yellow forsythia bushes are breathtakingly beautiful against a deep, blue sky! Oh...and all the gorges here!!!  Hmm....could do a Persephone gig--6 months in this Ithaca and 6 months in the other one. (-:

--------------
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: April 27 2009, 09:48

Oh right...and to keep this on topic--if ya'll need a break from the sand but don't want to change time zones, Ithaca is Gorges--'epecially for the next several months. Lots to see here in the Finger Lakes region--great local wines and apparently lots of microbreweries. :D

--------------
Profile PM 
ex member 419 Offline

Posted: April 29 2009, 23:07

Mike and fanny as busy as you are, make sure jake and eugene have their immunisations, whooping cough and polio cases are increasing, keep the little tykes in top form, you have enough to worry about, deb
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: May 28 2009, 10:03

More on the subject,found this on Taurus IV mailing list:

Spare a thought for multi-millionaire musician Mike Oldfield, who has become the latest victim of the property slump in Spain, reckoned to be the worst in Europe.
The Tubular Bells genius put his four-bedroom finca in Majorca, complete with solar-power heated swimming pool and a show-jumping arena, on the market for £3.5 million at the end of last year.

'We haven't had a huge amount of interest,' admits an aide at Majorca-based estate agents MJC Associates. 'The owner keeps taking it off the market and then saying he's going to rent it as he can't sell it. But it's back on the market, for now.'

Oldfield, 56, set up home on the island three years ago with his third wife, Fanny Vandekerckhove, 31, a French hotel worker.
They moved to the Bahamas in November with their sons Jake, five, and Eugene,
12 months. Worth around £30million, Oldfield once advertised in Lonely Hearts columns for a girlfriend.
He met Fanny in 1996, while living in Ibiza. The fortuitous encounter ended two years of self-admitted debauchery during which he binged on red wine and Ecstasy.

Source:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news....s-.html

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: May 29 2009, 12:42

Quote (Olivier @ Mar. 26 2009, 21:11)
Kind of a cliché, but it often looks like the uglier the environment is, the more beautiful things we create, like our mind tries to compensate the lack of beauty of the environment. Scarcity key to creativity? I think Mike mentioned in his book he took refugee in his musical world. When his real world improved, I find his music degraded, he listened too much to real people. When he is too connected to the real world, getting too much inspiration from others, he is not that good, I like his music when he is more introverted in his own zone. But then, in Misery, the #1 fan kidnapped the artist, his world turned really ugly, but he didn't produce any masterpiece. I think the problem is he was asked too. So when we kidnap Mike from his paradise house, we shouldn't demand anything.

Yep, that was the case with Tubular Bells, created in the most part in a flat in Tottenham, which like many city suburbs has gone downhill over a period of time.
Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn were created in Herefordshire, some of the most beautiful, and relatively unpolluted areas of England

:cool:  :)  :D .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 05 2009, 06:19

After 5-6 days of almost Bahamas style weather here in the UK.I am currrently sitting at my computer with a jacket on eating a bowl of soup..Mike!..You don`t know what yer missing.If you lived out in the Bahamas man you would surely never eat soup again for the rest of your natural born days.And even if you did just say out of spite or something.You would`nt be able to go "Ooohhoowhooaaghah" or hunch up your shoulders while you were doing it...You just would`nt feel like it would you!

Remember to come visit us Mike from time to time..Or be it only to re-live and recapture that whole wonderous and beguiling soup experience..Just think about it Mike... "Ooohhoowhooaaghah"..You know it makes sense.
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: June 05 2009, 10:42

Some of the best soup that I ever tasted was in Puerto Rico, which isn't too far from the Bahamas (heh--compared to the UK or NY). It contained lobster, rice, and olives. Although I am a vegetarian (because of the yuk factor), I would sit down to a bowl of that soup in a flash if I could find it. For years after returning north, I tried to re-create it, but just couldn't get it right. Of course, one would lose the rest of the experience--the needing to wear a jacket in June in the north, or having soup because it is the only thing that adequately warms your soul. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: June 05 2009, 22:35

Yeah when it comes to soup Inkanta,I`m probably a little bit like these people ashamedly..I`ve never even tried lobster,although I`ve always wanted to I must admit.Plus if it was in a soup I would`nt have to go through all that rigmarole of dissecting the poor fella before you can eat anything.

Oh yeah it was Heinz Big Soup btw,Cumberland sasauge and vegetable.Lots of black pepper in it,and a couple of slices of crusty bread with bits in it.Heh heh my dog sat next to me here her head going up and down watching me heartily consume every mouthful.Yesterday I was sat out in the garden eating an ice-cream under a parasoul..Great stuff.  :p
Profile PM 

Posted: June 05 2009, 22:57

I can imagine Mike on the beach enjoying the sun shining,the wind on his face,his feet in contact with the sand...sooo relaxing.

Let's see if with all that TB reissue we'll see if he appears somewhere...

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: July 18 2009, 14:24

Watch Mike's home in Majorca on this cool video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tItGD_iPJqg

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: July 20 2009, 05:25

Wow thanks! Could you tell me what the voice over is talking about?

Here's a similar one from the same production:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxwSpFXo3OM&NR=1

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 

Posted: July 20 2009, 10:38

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ July 20 2009, 06:25)
Wow thanks! Could you tell me what the voice over is talking about?

I think that the voice over is speaking in Catalan:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IB3

Maybe some spaniard who speaks Catalan can help us on that!

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: July 20 2009, 13:11

I watched the video last night at work. Mike's latest home, while very nice, seems a little meager compared to what he left behind. It looked like a moderate to high budget home in either El Paso TX. Or San Diego CA.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
60 replies since Mar. 26 2009, 11:29 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net