Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike moving to the Bahamas< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 26 2009, 11:29

According to an article in UK newspaper the Daily Telegraph, Mike is selling his home in Mallorca in order to move to the Bahamas.

The asking price is a cool 3.95 million euros.

Thanks, Gill Aberdein
Profile PM 
simmo2005 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 26 2009, 11:40

"There he wrote Music of the Sphere, an orchestral album which won a Brit award" ...do they know something we don't!!  [B]
Profile PM 
Nige Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2009, 12:01

Here's the place if any of you have the necessary funds burning a hole in your pocket:

http://www.savills.co.uk/abroad....ncy=EUR
Profile PM 
clotty Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Mar. 26 2009, 13:07

"...Or they move to the island permanently, like Mike Oldfield..."

If the article is accurate, then this is an interesting use of the word "permanently".

--------------
Clotty
Profile PM WEB 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2009, 13:19

He is moving to the Bahamas for the same reasons he did to Switzerland in 1984.

Mike, come here again. I am waiting for you...

:D

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2009, 13:19

Mike moves as often as I do. Which in the last 4 years has been once every year, prior to that once about every 2 years. I had a great idea. OK, we know the polar ice caps are melting, have known for decades yet still abuse Terra like Helga's house of pain. So, if one day, the shorelines move inwards and Arizona does in fact become ocean-front property.......I've had this interest in islands within-an-island. The Great Lakes. So large, you need real ocean-size ships to cross them. Created 20,000 years ago from a receding ice sheet of the last ice age. There are 1000's of islands in the Great Lakes. And a whole continent(well portions thereof) between them and Terra's oceanic wrath. Buy an island there. It's fresh water with a good distance from the sea. If I were a rich man yabba dabba....that is what I would do. Lake Superior would be a good bet.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 26 2009, 13:22

What do you think was meant by the bit where the article states: "...and worked on a remix of Tubular Bells, to be released in June"?

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2009, 13:46

REMIX !!! ...If its anything like the 'Early Stages' track (re. Sentinel single CD) I will probably love it ..even more than TB2 !!

Neil

:D
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2009, 15:26

I've been living in the same house since I was born,and sometimes I wish I had the chance to move to somewhere else...

Bahamas isn't new for him, I remember he had been there in the past.He has his reasons for moving again,and let's see what will happen next!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2009, 15:39

Looks like Mike's changing houses faster than I do with clothes. ;) Why don't you just move back to the Roughwood croft, Mike? I personally think that it is a very beautiful house.

I'm also wondering how accurate the information in this article is...

@ Tati: I also still live in the house where I was born (we live near a beautiful forest). In a couple of months I will move into my girlfriend's apartment. So I'm pretty unexperienced with moving, although I sometimes am very curious how my live looks moving every few years of so. Personally, I think the bad part of moving is keeping my precious stuff in pieces, like my Mike Oldfield cd/lp collection.

Recently, I read a very beautiful line: Moving is easy, being somewhere is art.

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 26 2009, 15:55

Quote (Blue Dolphin @ Mar. 26 2009, 16:39)
Looks like Mike's changing houses faster than I do with clothes. ;) Why don't you just move back to the Roughwood croft, Mike? I personally think that it is a very beautiful house.

I'm also wondering how accurate the information in this article is...

@ Tati: I also still live in the house where I was born (we live near a beautiful forest). In a couple of months I will move into my girlfriend's apartment. So I'm pretty unexperienced with moving, although I sometimes am very curious how my live looks moving every few years of so. Personally, I think the bad part of moving is keeping my precious stuff in pieces, like my Mike Oldfield cd/lp collection.

Recently, I read a very beautiful line: Moving is easy, being somewhere is art.

@Blue Dolphin:
I was outside Roughwood Croft a while ago,and the place is sooo lovely. If I go to England to do my MSc later this year,so I will have to move on...

This new moving can be quite inspiring to Mike...once again,looking for sunny places
:cool:

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Olivier Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2009, 17:11

Kind of a cliché, but it often looks like the uglier the environment is, the more beautiful things we create, like our mind tries to compensate the lack of beauty of the environment. Scarcity key to creativity? I think Mike mentioned in his book he took refugee in his musical world. When his real world improved, I find his music degraded, he listened too much to real people. When he is too connected to the real world, getting too much inspiration from others, he is not that good, I like his music when he is more introverted in his own zone. But then, in Misery, the #1 fan kidnapped the artist, his world turned really ugly, but he didn't produce any masterpiece. I think the problem is he was asked too. So when we kidnap Mike from his paradise house, we shouldn't demand anything.
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2009, 18:01

Quote (Olivier @ Mar. 26 2009, 23:11)
Kind of a cliché, but it often looks like the uglier the environment is, the more beautiful things we create, like our mind tries to compensate the lack of beauty of the environment. Scarcity key to creativity? I think Mike mentioned in his book he took refugee in his musical world. When his real world improved, I find his music degraded, he listened too much to real people. When he is too connected to the real world, getting too much inspiration from others, he is not that good, I like his music when he is more introverted in his own zone. But then, in Misery, the #1 fan kidnapped the artist, his world turned really ugly, but he didn't produce any masterpiece. I think the problem is he was asked too. So when we kidnap Mike from his paradise house, we shouldn't demand anything.

Yeah, you mentioned that somewhere earlier. Interesting theory. But maybe it is not only the environment, but also his state of mind at a certain time. Amarok was created with frustation towards certain people, while Mike lived in Roughwood Croft (which is, as we mentioned earlier, in a very beautiful environment).

But now we are talking about making disadvantage of someone's health in order to please the fans with better music. Kinda sadistical, isn't it? ;)

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2009, 20:39

I'm going to pretend I'm interested in the house and visit it... (leaving some hidden mikes in it, next fan visitor will pick up the recording, unless we can find something that wirelessly transmits it to us, hoping for something more musical than "Michael, please wash the dishes, how many times do I have to tell you")
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2009, 10:31

Or "Oh for god's sake Mike stop playing that bloody guitar for 5 minutes and change Eugene's nappy"
 Next thing you know we'll have a Osbournes style TV programme.At Home With The Oldfields. :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Harmono Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2009, 11:05

They'll be in the Bahamas just in time for the hurricane season.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2009, 15:23

I was thinking that earlier today. After years watching hurricanes batter the Texas/Louisiana/Gulf coast.......well just who gets battered worse? This is unwise, foolhardy. For someone who can afford to live just about anywhere.......why?

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2009, 16:14

Maybe he's one of those storm chasers ! ?

I doubt it though considering he left England partly because he got stuck in the floods !! ( re. Sky TV News interview )

:)  :/
Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 27 2009, 16:49

Quote (The Caveman @ Mar. 27 2009, 11:31)
Or "Oh for god's sake Mike stop playing that bloody guitar for 5 minutes and change Eugene's nappy"
 Next thing you know we'll have a Osbournes style TV programme.At Home With The Oldfields. :laugh:

Mike once said that reality tv shows are awful...he tries to keep his private life not that much overexposed...

As far as I remember,the Mallorca home wasn't the main one,he had a place somewhere in Monaco,dunno if he'll keep it.The new home in the Bahamas can work as a summer home...

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Mar. 27 2009, 16:51

Let's just face it. Mike earlier mentioned that one of his hobbies is building recording studios. So while he has just completed the one in Mallorca he just needs to move on.

That's all that it is!

:p
Profile PM 
60 replies since Mar. 26 2009, 11:29 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net