Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike is using FL STudio for his next album< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
raven4x4x Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 14 2004, 23:04

Isn't it funny that whenever the music that a person likes goes out of fashion, then he/she says that 'music has died'. Hey, I love the music of the 70s much much more than the music of today, but isn't it a bit arrogant to suggest that just because you don't like much recent music that music has 'died'? Changed, yes. Died, no. The day when music 'dies' is when music becomes totally unpopular and there are no popstars, CD stores, concerts or CD sales of any kind.

Just a thought.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 15 2004, 03:28

It seems we've hit on a hot issue here...

I have to say, I'm certainly wondering exactly how Mike's going to be using FL Studio - it's certainly geared towards a rather different way of working to Logic.

I'd think that the main reason behind any diminishing in the creative misuse of equipment is probably down to the increased flexibility of the tools on offer. People only tend to look for new solutions (like the creating of tape loops) when they have something which they want to do, but can't manage in any other way. There are provisions for so many different things in software and hardware these days, that I think the majority of users can't ever think of anything they might want to do which isn't possible with some piece of software, hardware or other. That's not to say that there aren't things which need things to be pushed beyond their supposed limits somehow, just that few people ever see the need to.
All that said, it would seem that FL Studio is one of those pieces of software which is geared to producing certain kinds of things, and that would need a bit of creative twisting in order to take it into territories it wasn't intended to go to...the question on everyone's lips must then be, will Mike stick within those boundaries, or push them back, like he suggested he would in his message on mikeoldfield.com? All eyes (and ears) are on him...
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 15 2004, 09:27

Oh, mind, I'm not saying rock music "died" just because I don't like the recent material. The fact is that the bands that try to stick to the "rock" thing are mostly rehashing past formulas, and the bands that are trying to move forwards are going into Electronica territory. It sounds to me, and to many other people, that the well of rock music has pretty much run dry. There still are a few acts that are able to extract the last drops of water from the well, but is it any close to the thriving creativity of the 70's bands? I don't think so. In the end, it's what Geddy Lee said - "Rock music died a long time ago; we're just ghosts."

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2004, 14:03

A question for Korgscrew and others. Is FL Studio mainly geared towards making dance music? How does it work differently from other software Mike uses or has used? I'm kind of up on some of these software packages but not hugely.

I guess the thing with Mike is, as regards quality, is that you can never second guess him. Although he obviously thought that Maestro end music was worthy of something and it's that 'thought' which troubles me. He has had a long run of creating very mediocre music in my opinion.

On another note, which will be of familiar interest to all, I recently read that Phil Collins pulled down the forums on his website and posted a rant aimed at all his fans who'd been bad mouthing his recent output and in particular his recent tour. Sounds a bit familiar doesn't it? Sounds like there's a pattern developing here with artists of a certain generation.
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2004, 14:23

Quote (raven4x4x @ Aug. 15 2004, 05:04)
Isn't it funny that whenever the music that a person likes goes out of fashion, then he/she says that 'music has died'.

Actually, Mike also said in an interview in 2002 that music (industry) is dead. Though I don't know if he thought of every kind of music or only pop.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2004, 06:35

In regards to my previous comment, I'm not sure that I even totally believed what I said. It's just something that I think needed to be said: I agree that I don't like modern music as much as 70s music (in my top 20 album list I just put together only 6 were from the 90s, and two of those were old bands playing 70s music). I would still like to believe that there is creativity going on, just not in genres that I listen to. Prehaps I'm naive, but I would prefer not to believe that nothing good will ever come out of rock music ever again.

Back on topic now, and I'm not familiar with Fruity Loops (or any other form of music making tool really) except that my younger brother uses a demo version to make his music. From what I've heard from him it is a dance oriented piece of software, but I shouldn't really comment on it as I have never heard anything from the full version (I haven't even played around on the demo too often). I suppose it all comes down to how he plans to use FL Studio. Will he totally create the album using it, or will it be an 'assistant' to his usual methods. Can he plug guitars or keyboards into the software in any way? I won't judge him using the software until I know what he plans to do with it.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 16 2004, 11:32

Quote (raven4x4x @ Aug. 16 2004, 11:35)
Can he plug guitars or keyboards into the software in any way?

I'm not terribly familiar with it either, but I believe that recording audio is one thing it can't do - it has to be imported as a file from somewhere else. So, guitars couldn't be recorded into it directly, in the way they could be with Logic or something like that. Recording from a MIDI keyboard (or MIDI guitar...) is perfectly possible, though.

I'd think that one of the guys who uses it regularly would be better to comment on what its advantages and limitations are, really.
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2004, 15:37

the limitation is only the creativity of the user, there are fantastic tools to operate with audio files inside FL, but you can't directly record audio into it.
Anyway when i started making covers of MO I was using nothing but fruityloops and I think it can show a lot of potential of FL when you look at some of my older covers (Sentinel for example...in fan tracks), when you count that I am a non-pro, and Mike has more experience than me I think you can see that he can come up with something great, even without direct audio recording :P who needs it anyway? :laugh: I think that Mike will surely use one of the ways to go around the recording problem and will show us something that we'll be able to like. And one more thing, work in fruity is really great and pleasant, it has (at least to me) perfect user interface, so you feel good while working on music...
(you can even setup a naked girl on the background :))

well...it might not be the best example but look up my cover of sentinel in fan tracks as a demo of FL...that cover is the only which I can surely say was done only in fruity...

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2004, 15:40

Quote (BOOsTER @ Aug. 16 2004, 15:37)
(you can even setup a naked girl on the background :))

*rushes madly to research how you can do that on Cakewalk*

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Profile PM WEB 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2004, 16:48

oh my...cakewalk can't handle that :P that's why Mike uses FL  :laugh:

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2004, 18:33

*has a nervous breakdown and smashes things*

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
richyawyingtmv Offline

Posted: July 08 2005, 15:57

Well, i use FL Studio, and i certainly dont use it for techno/dance.

If used correctly, it can be used to create any possible style of music imaginable. I have used it to create orchestral music, ambience music and i have used it to create rock music.

It is a valuable piece of kit, and I see it just as a very helpful tool in addition to the inspiration and talent of the artist.
Profile PM 
31 replies since Aug. 05 2004, 08:53 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net