Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: MIKE IS KING!!! MOTS is genuinly amazing< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TheMann Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 19 2008, 15:46

I am a die-hard fan, still following him (since the 80s), though I have had some serious doubts in the end of the 90s-
T be honest, I didn't expect a masterpice, only maybe a partially good cd, some nice tracks but with a lot of meaningless muzak ...

... but I was wrong: THIS IS A TRULY AMAZING MO MASTERPIECE, HANDS DOWN. BEST SINCE THE 70s!!!

There are so much good stuff here ... just to mention something, the final!!! That piano-theme!!!!!!!!!!

What can I say more? Mike is GENIOUS!
Profile PM 
Togwag Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2008, 18:34

I love it! I like classical anyway, but I've got all Mike's stuff so I had to get it without hearing any of it, but this album has got the majesty of a film soundtrack! It's like Holst's Planets done in the style of Lord of the Rings. It's got a recurring theme that you can latch onto quickly, and seamlessly moves between tracks so it's one whole piece of really moving music. I was hoping I'd like it because I heard there's no blistering guitar solo's from that flame-top guitar he's got, but the acoustic guitar is all we need. There's not many pieces of classical music you instantly like, all the way through, but this is one of them! And the depth of sound - it blows you away. Someone please make a cool film of celestial objects to go with this music! Keep it up Mike!
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Mar. 20 2008, 03:51

Quote (Togwag @ Mar. 19 2008, 18:34)
I love it! I like classical anyway, but I've got all Mike's stuff so I had to get it without hearing any of it, but this album has got the majesty of a film soundtrack! It's like Holst's Planets done in the style of Lord of the Rings. It's got a recurring theme that you can latch onto quickly, and seamlessly moves between tracks so it's one whole piece of really moving music. I was hoping I'd like it because I heard there's no blistering guitar solo's from that flame-top guitar he's got, but the acoustic guitar is all we need. There's not many pieces of classical music you instantly like, all the way through, but this is one of them! And the depth of sound - it blows you away. Someone please make a cool film of celestial objects to go with this music! Keep it up Mike!

MOTS reminded me of those Lord Of The Rings soundtracks as well a little bit.I thought those albums were very well put together myself.Obviously without having the hinderance of scoring the music to a film helps Mike`s album flow a lot more seamlessly though Imo.Which is a point you kind of made there anyway.It`s certainly not an album where I`ve found myself hovering my finger over the "skip" button.Of course thirty plus years of practise tends to help as well.But being that this is Mike`s first real full length foray into the classical field as such.He`s certainly made a damn fine job of it.
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2008, 16:53

I agree. Since I first heard it, i've gone from completely loving it, to being somewhat neutral, and now back to thinking it may well be the second best thing he's produced (next to TBII for me).

Unlike with L+S, which I played for the first month or so quite often after it was released, I've been playing MOTS for a number of months (the promo version anyways) and I still find that I keep coming back to it.

Part of me feels like his whole career was an exploration of compositional variation so he could come to this point and produce this. I think this is at least compositionally, the strongest thing he's produced since TBIII. There are other factors that contribute to the enjoyment of an album though, which means that the intervening CD's can still be enjoyable also (I have a fond place in my heart for Tr3s Lunas, although I tend to use it more as summer music).

In conclusion, this is most definately a very strong piece of music. The question is, will it be his last? Or will he reward us with a followup?

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
torbenyj Offline

Posted: Mar. 23 2008, 19:22

dito
Profile PM 
TheMann Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2008, 06:23

After some days of constant listening, I want to add how amazed I still am over this truly increadible MASTERPIECE.

MIKE THIS MIGHT BE YOUR MOST INCREADABLE WORK EVER. THANKS!

There are so many impressing aspects of MOTS. I don't know where to start and how to structure all my thoughts... Perhaps first define what I was expecting in this phase of Mikes creativity:

I have never had any doubts concerning Mikes abilities to come up with magical musical fragments but during the previous 10-15 years I have noticed a certain lack of motivation from him to put enough effort into the work; not everybody will agree on this, but when I listen to e.g., Light & Shade I hear a lot of promising but underdeveloped ideas. E.g, Resolution, excellent choirs coming in but unfortunately nothing more happens. Or, on TresLunas, e.g.,  ReturnToTheOrigin; beutiful stuff which could have been developed and reused ten times more than actually happened. Instead he filled the CD with a lot of transport sections with trivial sounds (whales etc) over a few synth chords and very basic drum loops ... In my modest opinion, this is true for almost every work by Mike since the (partly amazing) Songs Of Distant Earth. (God, why didn't he develop it more, the enormous potential in Let There Be Light, Only Time Will Tell...! I consider these as two milestones in his creativity).

Note that I am not againts Mike's tendency to change genre; this is in fact something i like, that he tries different ways of expressing himself. I am only talking here about the exact amount of detailed work put into the compositions.

So, I guess, I didn't expect Mike to produce a solid full-length clear-cut Masterpiece. I lived under the impression that he doesn't anymore aim at that; that he is simply content with making up shorter fragments, presenting them basically as the raw data they are without much preprocessing, without exploring the inherent potential in the material.

Learning that Mike was working with an orchestra, I was pleased but sceptical; I imagined a lot of over-the-top crescendos (there are all too many of them in his previous works and in fact I hate most of them; they worked excellent in Ommadawn, Incantations and Crises, but not since; on TSODE and TB3 he several times plays the material louder and LOUDER, which I think is way under his dignity to do. Hate that, let the material speak for itself, let that f---ing master volume stay where it is...). Furthermore, I imagine some irritating bag-pipes appearing again (my god, why did they appear on Songs Of Distant Earth??). And of course, I didn't once expect the material to sit tight together, with smooth intelligent transitions and thematic associations ...

But of course, at the same time I was aware of the exceptionally fine orchesteral version of Ommadawn in 2006 (NOTP concertos) where he also played the guitar so lovely... So, maybe some good stuff, but again mixed with some meaningless muzak, without constituting an entire whole ...

AND THEN the final work arrived.
And I listened to Music Of The Spheres.
AND I WAS PROVED WRONG.  I WAS STUNNED.

It structed me at once that he is serious this time, this is something different; there are NO dead parts at all, this is (SURPRISE) a sincere attempt (and what a successful one) to really compose new wonderful, advanced but still communicating music. Music that will last for very long.

All of it sticks wonderfully together.

There are exceptionally strong themes (like Shabda, or Musica Universalis). As usual, I tend to say; Mike never fails on this issue.

There is also such patience and trust in the ideas! He takes enogh time in developing the material and establishing a fantastic mood, like the proud Harmonia Mundi, a magical part in the 2nd movement. It feels like pure love from Mike to all his fans, this pastoral with the heavenly played guitar. All the "tracks" are exceptionally good, but I think "the 11" is such an increadible testamony to his ridiculosly supreme musicality; MIKE, you will rightly be remembered for all times for this piece of work.

Probably this is the aspect I love most of all with MOTS; the slow, sincere work-out of the ideas. This is why I in the first place started to listen to Mike; he completely stands out with this ability.

What can I say about the "tracks"? There are, of course, two movements; they shouldn't be cut-down in short fragments, I think. There are A LOT of strong ideas speard everywhere over the 45 minutes, it would be misleading to just mention how fantastic Shabda is; how fresh Aurora is (with the fluent guitar nicely integrated into it). How crazily much I admire Tempest for not being over-the-top which it could have been with overdesigned crescendos; now instead it is very rich in texture with a geniuosly integrated guitar and contrasted with slow Sibelius-sounding brass, just perfect. On My Heart, ... my God how worthy it ends 1st movement.

Personally I am currently misusing the 2nd Movement, I am constantly playing it, admiring every little tone on it - IT IS SO FU----G AMAZINGLY GENUINELY GENIUSLY BEUTIFUL!!!!!!!!! Sorry for the French, how shall i put it?

It is almost embarissing for other artists! Listen to the 2nd movement once, and then try to play some other CD after that. It is impossible, a crime ... Did you know, I actually burned all my other CDs yesterday, they didn't deserve sitting next to MOTS. Ok ok...  I am joking but I wanted to do it, as a tribut to Mike

And honestly, I cried of happiness when I for the first time heared the piano in the final; what can I say, what a theme ... pure magic

Yeah, right, of course there are tubular textures here and there, but who gives a shit about that are you joking guys!!! If this is what it takes to make Mike composing serious stuff again let it then be; and why not reuse some of those mathematical structures again? They are in fact not dominating at all, rather putting this new masterpiece into a context and a tradition; reminding us of the origin of the music, THE MIKE OLDFIELD UNIVERSE ...

Hands down, people, this is A GREAT MASTERPIECE!!!!!!!!!!!
Profile PM 
Kev Offline

Posted: Mar. 24 2008, 07:19

Hi,Ihave just joined the forum to add my opinion about MOTS.
I agree this album is one of most enjoyable and emotive I have listened to from Mike I have been a keen follower of Mike and his music since TB1,an excellent musical journey.
When it was announced that his next album was going to be classical I thought boring! but no an excellent piece of work,but by using classical guitar as in  my fav Silhouette he's still keeping the Oldfield touch, Thanks! Kev.
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Mar. 26 2008, 12:58

It's definitely one of his greatest albums and probably the best since Tubular Bells II, IMO.

I initially liked it a great deal, but thought certain sections were too obviously derivative of his previous works. But the more I've listened to it, the richer and more satisfying it has become; the melodies are quite beautiful, the arrangements very striking and the whole composition just meanders so wonderfully. Currently, I don't think I shall ever tire of listening to it!

On this evidence I really hope Mike isn't planning on retiring anytime soon...

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
TheMann Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2008, 16:40

I love it.

Part II the most emotional work ever. I love you Mike
Profile PM 
Mark Offline

Posted: Mar. 27 2008, 18:03

I love this album, I really do, but every time time I listen to it, it comes across sounding like a movie soundtrack. It uses classical instruments yes, but it's not a classical composition.
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2008, 03:21

Quote (Kev @ Mar. 24 2008, 07:19)
Hi,Ihave just joined the forum to add my opinion about MOTS.
I agree this album is one of most enjoyable and emotive I have listened to from Mike I have been a keen follower of Mike and his music since TB1,an excellent musical journey.
When it was announced that his next album was going to be classical I thought boring! but no an excellent piece of work,but by using classical guitar as in  my fav Silhouette he's still keeping the Oldfield touch, Thanks! Kev.

Hey there - welcome aboard.  Still waiting on my copy to reach Australia - trying not to listen to the promos etc - all the opinions to date are certainly encouraging.
Profile PM 
Legend Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2008, 06:34

I bought MotS yesterday...

1 st listening: hmm...quite boring actually. OK, give it some time. Like any good music it needs time to grow on me too.

2 nd listening: Hey! There are quite a few nice moments now and then I must say.

3 rd listening: Some harmonies are beautiful, I like the moods, nice melodies. How come I didn´t hear it the first time??

4 th listening: WOW, wonderful!!! LOVE IT!!! Congrats MIKE!!!

Except for the sound of a few classic clichés it´s amazing!
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2008, 06:59

Quote (tubular_trekkie @ Mar. 26 2008, 17:58)
It's definitely one of his greatest albums and probably the best since Tubular Bells II, IMO.

I initially liked it a great deal, but thought certain sections were too obviously derivative of his previous works. But the more I've listened to it, the richer and more satisfying it has become; the melodies are quite beautiful, the arrangements very striking and the whole composition just meanders so wonderfully. Currently, I don't think I shall ever tire of listening to it!

according to an interview he recently held, he said that it "may well be" the last album, but he's not thinking past this summer, when he wants to relax some.

I'm sure we can all appreciate that... looking after a new baby, another youngn AND doing promo must be tiring.

That doesn't quite sound as final as we've previously seen from the magazines... so maybe he's encouraged by MOTS's reception.

Lets hope so!

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2008, 12:05

Quote (arron11196 @ Mar. 28 2008, 11:59)
Quote (tubular_trekkie @ Mar. 26 2008, 17:58)

according to an interview he recently held, he said that it "may well be" the last album, but he's not thinking past this summer, when he wants to relax some.

I'm sure we can all appreciate that... looking after a new baby, another youngn AND doing promo must be tiring.

That doesn't quite sound as final as we've previously seen from the magazines... so maybe he's encouraged by MOTS's reception.

Lets hope so!

Indeed.

It's such a great album and fully deserves the acclaim it seems to be receiving - Mike should just kick back and enjoy the plaudits at the moment. He's very obviously still 'got it'!

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
xxbbcc Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2008, 13:30

It'd be truly sad if a musical genius like him would stop composing. All of his instrumental albums are outstanding pieces that I cannot stop listening to.
Profile PM 
TheMann Offline

Posted: Mar. 28 2008, 16:14

Quote (Mark @ Mar. 27 2008, 18:03)
[...] it's not a classical composition.

How, actually, could a work released a few days ago be a "classical" piece of music? I am not after you Mark, I just object to the very meaning of the term.

It is an orchestral work. Can't deny that, right ... like it or not.

Mike said in an intervju in Bilboa that his "next piece" will possibly have a more lighter mood compared to the somewhat dark MOTS (not an exact quote).

To me MOTS has a very light and positive mood, a very mature, proud feel; music written by someone with an abundance of ideas and inspiration. The composing came very fluently this time Mike? Right? We feel it. It is just so 100% kind of ...
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2008, 04:36

when you say 100%, do you mean final?

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Profile PM 
TheMann Offline

Posted: April 02 2008, 15:50

I don't find the exact words, to describe how satisfied I am with Mike's possibly most fantasic Masterpiece ever...

Just look at those live clips from Bilboa ... Yes, Mike, this is your finest masterpiece. I think it is safe to say it now
Profile PM 
New Incantation Offline

Posted: May 23 2009, 17:22

Even though this is very much a classical piece for Mike, you can quite easily pick up the movie signatures, especially Howard Shore, Phil Glass and perhaps even Thomas Newman.

But that doesn't or shouldn't detract from the overall ensemble. Mike has done a fine job dipping his toe into the rather aloof world of classical music and only a complete snob would decry his efforts as being lame, out of his depth or amateurish.
Profile PM 
Incantations Offline

Posted: July 15 2010, 04:28

One thing I can definitaly agree on:

MOTS is THE best MO album SINCE Incantations.
(don't ask why since is capitalised, I feel a bit hyper today)

But take that seriously!

(Edit: By 'since Incantations' I mean besides Amarok, so sneaky that album is!

--------------
Hmm...
Profile PM 
28 replies since Mar. 19 2008, 15:46 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net