Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike interviewed for Drowned in Sound< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Aug. 02 2011, 05:30

Mike has been interviewed by online music site Drowned in Sound. A wide range of topics on Mikes musical career are covered including discussions of the recent and future remixes.

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Airborne Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 02 2011, 08:09

Thanks Matt,

Probably the best quote from the point of view of most people here is:

"My big project will be the complete 5.1 of Amarok, providing we’ve got the Multi-Track tapes, because that’s one of my favourites".

Let's hope it gets a big push from the record company this time.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2011, 18:59

Great interview btw.Can't wait for Amarok 5.1 !

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 02 2011, 23:01

It's weird that he is excited about remixing Amarok yet he didn't check if he has the multi tracks.

Amarok 2.4.3: http://amarok.kde.org/en/releases/2.4.3
Profile PM 
ex member 137 Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2011, 05:28

That interview explains a lot of the mixed feelings I've had for his past work. The greatest quote there. The fact he's tried most of the available plug ins and they're mostly rubbish. I agree.
I really do pray to god he's got everything stored safely for Amarok. Then again if he hasn't maybe he could be convinced to redo it whilst  bearing 5.1 sound in mind. :)
Profile PM 
ThisName Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2011, 05:48

That's very exciting news about how much he is looking forward to doing Amarok.

Does Mike ever read thee forums? It would be great if he knew about the transcription project I'm doing, especially as Amarok clearly comes across as his favourite album!

--------------
www.ryanyardmusic.com
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 03 2011, 13:10

Quote (dunlooser @ Aug. 03 2011, 05:28)
Then again if he hasn't maybe he could be convinced to redo it whilst  bearing 5.1 sound in mind. :)

Providing he's got the toothbrush.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2011, 16:21

"Well in those days you had to get on the Radio One playlist if you wanted a hit. I had one big hit with ‘Moonlight Shadow’, and at the time to have one big radio hit was the thing that you had to have to sell lots of copies. From the record company’s point of view that was their number one priority. So I was under pressure to produce more ‘Moonlight Shadow’ type tracks..."

Nice interview.  Two good interviews in fact.

I don't feel so bad now NOT liking "Moonlight Shadow."

It kind of confirms (to me) that he DID produce those "Moonlight Shadow" tracks out of obligation, rather than the inspiration that created his great instrumentals ... as I suspected.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
ex member 137 Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2011, 16:45

Quote (Olivier @ Aug. 03 2011, 19:10)
Quote (dunlooser @ Aug. 03 2011, 05:28)
Then again if he hasn't maybe he could be convinced to redo it whilst  bearing 5.1 sound in mind. :)

Providing he's got the toothbrush.

Hey Yeh Ollie.................and the plumbers toolbox. Plus all the other items he found that contained a musical note.

He should re..do it. Amarok 2 double album. Where all those wonderful melodies in the original get heard...................but for longer.

:cool:
Profile PM 
ex member 137 Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2011, 16:57

Quote (wiga @ Aug. 05 2011, 22:21)
"Well in those days you had to get on the Radio One playlist if you wanted a hit. I had one big hit with ‘Moonlight Shadow’, and at the time to have one big radio hit was the thing that you had to have to sell lots of copies. From the record company’s point of view that was their number one priority. So I was under pressure to produce more ‘Moonlight Shadow’ type tracks..."

Nice interview.  Two good interviews in fact.

I don't feel so bad now NOT liking "Moonlight Shadow."

It kind of confirms (to me) that he DID produce those "Moonlight Shadow" tracks out of obligation, rather than the inspiration that created his great instrumentals ... as I suspected.

I know i've just posted so excuse me.

At the time of Crises I can remember Mike being interviewed saying  that he thought the concept of an album being half instrumental and half vocal tracks was the way forward in his case.
He seemed perfectly happy at the time as it meant he could have a year off after recording, to travel the world before going back into the studio.
Thank the lord that didn't last long.............but at the time of his smash hit he was more than happy with the way things were going.
Do you want to know why I remember this so clearly. At the time I was GUTTED to hear him say that.
I believe he touches on that subject when he did Desert Island Discs. I've still got that on tape some place.....has anyone else ? :O
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2011, 13:24

He does come up with some strange almost contradictory quotes sometimes...

Compared to the original sound?

'Yeah. I’m a fan of the old equipment. It’s lovely to listen to some of the old albums to see how good they sound.'

How about listening to music. Do you prefer Vinyl, CD, mp3, does that matter to you much as well?

'Oh no, I’m glad to see the back of vinyl. That needle in the groove, the scratchy needle. I’m glad to see that gone.'

That's got to be the first interview I've read with a serious musician, especially of his generation, that is glad to see the back of vinyl. Mind you I'm sure I've read interviews in the past with him where he's stated exactly the opposite. I'm not sure I take it seriously.
All of his albums up to Heavens Open sound way better off vinyl anyway. They sound so much richer.
Profile PM 
10 replies since Aug. 02 2011, 05:30 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net