Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike in Total Guitar magazine< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Sep. 30 2001, 14:23

Total Guitar magazine (Oct 2001) features Mike with discussion of his playing style, his methods, examples with guitar tab and audio demos: "Didlybom" from Amarok arranged for one guitar (567K MP3), a bit from The Top Of The Morning and from the Knebworth video (553K MP3), and Moonlight Shadow arranged for fingerpicking. Transcript. Raw interview at Dark Star.  (Thanks, Matthew Cochrane) The Dec. Spanish version of Total Guitar features 2 tabs and audio demos.  (Thanks, Kike) [updated Dec 03]
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 01 2001, 02:01

From the site above:
Mike Oldfield: Midnight Shadow

wink

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Mark 1 Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2001, 07:18

Didn't Mike also record a relatively similar song called 'Man In The Sun' for the 'Kind Of Longish, Hollow Bells III' album years later?
Profile PM 
^NabLa^ Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2001, 06:53

nice article, rob! is there any way of getting the photos and examples?

--------------
^NabLa^
Profile PM WEB 

Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 03 2001, 11:08

there's just one photo, which is taken from the TBIII premiere (with Mike's "zebra" shirt)

But the 3 audio files are **pure gems**
Must have for any fan !
the first track is a part from Amarok, which Mike has plays, adapted for 1 guitar.
then there's a typical Oldfield lead, with wha and distortion.
Finally, he plays a short version of moonlight shadow, which is really interesting, as you can hear the lead without the backings.
Really good !

I can't make mp3s yet cause my computer at work won't read the cd. I suppose someone will post them eventually.
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 03 2001, 11:14

"the first track is a part from Amarok, which Mike has plays, adapted for 1 guitar.
then there's a typical Oldfield lead, with wha and distortion.
Finally, he plays a short version of moonlight shadow, which is really interesting, as you can hear the lead without the backings."

But only the first track is actually Mike playing, the rest are just based on Mike's playing. Still pretty good though.

I'm sending Olivier the MP3s so they should be up soon.
Profile PM 
Thomas Höögh Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2001, 14:30

Where and when can we get them?????

--------------
Crazy, terrible, wonderful, perfect!!!!

I just love Tubular Bells |||
Profile PM WEB 
Olivier Offline

Posted: Oct. 03 2001, 14:33

Just click on the MP3 links in the updated initial message...
Profile PM 
martinec Offline

Posted: Oct. 05 2001, 08:35

The article on this site is the same as in the magazine? I think its too short.
Profile PM 
Mark 1 Offline

Posted: Oct. 05 2001, 09:40

I agree, it is as though it's only the first part.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Oct. 05 2001, 20:10

That's mostly it. There were a few pages of music/guitar tablature as well (the examples that appeared on the CD, in printed form), and some short explanations to accompany them.

The idea of the article is as a short style guide for guitar players, not a full on interview - it's just there to give people a taste of Mike's playing style, and a few things that may influence people to take their playing into slightly new areas. I personally thought they paid a fair amount of attention to Mike - as much as to any other player who you'd find in a similar column.

If you want any more detail on Mike, you'll have to read my discography wink.

On another note, I wouldn't bother trying to attribute the second example as being from any particular piece - I believe it's just a generic example of soloing, though I'll admit it does have more than a few things in common with 'Top of the Morning'.
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: Oct. 07 2001, 09:10

The first MP3 download on the Tubular.net site is the typical Oldfield lead, with wha and distortion and the second one is from Amarok and not Moonlight Shadow as stated! PLEASE can you also make the Moonlight Shadow clip available a i'd love to hear it - the magazine cannot be purchased here in Singapore.

Thanks!

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
11 replies since Sep. 30 2001, 14:23 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net