Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike in 'Classic Rock presents... Prog'< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 20 2009, 11:04

Mike will be mentioned in issue 2 of the quarterly Classic Rock magazine spin-off Classic Rock presents... Prog, according to information in issue 1. The magazine will be out on May 20th.

Thanks, Richard Patrick
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 22 2009, 08:24

According to this post here on Twitter,the issue 2 will be avaiable on May 20th.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Ghostmojo Offline

Posted: April 23 2009, 20:37

I got the first issue and it wasn't cheap at £7.99 :(

It contained what they called a 'free' disc as well. I assumed the eight quid was because of the disc. They'd better think carefully about this cover charge if they want sales to continue to be healthy...

--------------
" ... if you feel a little glum - to Hergest Ridge you should come ... "
Profile PM 

Posted: May 20 2009, 17:48

And issue 2 is out there:
http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news....out-now

I'd love to get the mag(not only because of Mike),but from here it's impossible to get it :/

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: May 21 2009, 06:39

@Ghostmojo.I agree with the whole 'free cd' thing.It's a rip off to call it free and then inflate the price of the mag to such a degree.It's a thing that's been going on for the last 12 years or so.One of the first was Guitarist magazine.They started doing the cd so you could hear the gear that was reviewed in the magazine (truly a pointless exercise given that all guitars will sound different depending on the amp,the recording equipment,the player and a million different variables)and lo and behold the price was hiked by around £2.I rarely buy it now. :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 

Posted: May 25 2009, 10:05

Is there anyone here who has got the mag?

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: May 25 2009, 11:42

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ May 25 2009, 16:05)
Is there anyone here who has got the mag?

Soon....

;)

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 

Posted: May 27 2009, 07:31

Pity that I can't get it here,they only deliver to UK and Europe  :/

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 01 2009, 10:24

It's not bad but nothing we didn't already know so you're not missing a lot.

--------------
Profile PM 
Elf Offline

Posted: June 13 2009, 14:59

Well, actually there were a couple of interesting things in the article:

- He definitely has changed his mind about the original recording. He wanted the new remix to be left as played. So TB2003 really was pointless, as a lot of fans claimed.

- He says he made a lot of good friends at the Manor in 1972, so I guess those are not the bloodsuckers he talked about in the Telegraph. He also relished in the fact that they had a chef there, so that he actually had something to eat :)

- He still doesn't care much for the orchestral version

- The journalist writes nice things about Music of the Spheres.

- I quote what he has to say about the re-recording:

"That was great fun to me, but nobody else seemed to like it. I'm scared to listen to that now in case I think it was a big mistake" (It was, Mike! )

- He was furious with EMI/Virgin for giving TB away for free in the Mail on Sunday: "It devalued it in a way. It was like saying, this music's so old that we'll just give it away. On the other hand it marked the end of that era and gave me the impetus to really want to remix it." Seems like Virgin really did want to say "up yours" to Mike...

- Mike is currently busy remixing his back catalogue, and have absolutely no plans for any new music

- Here's an interesting quote:

"The original bell had some distortion on it, which was impossible to get rid of. In the mid-70s I was convinced to replace the bell with one that didn't have distortion and I foolishly agreed, and we rubbed it off. We haven't been able to track down the original multitrack master - I've been working from a copy. I was pulling out my hair thinking, what can i Do? In the middle of Part One there's a simple flute tune and in the background is the same bell. It was playing some of the right notes, so I spent days reproducing exactly the original bell using that, and with some jiggery pokery I think it's even better than the first one now, and it hasn't got the distortion."

- He didn't want to clean TB up too much, but: "I didn't duplicate some of the production, the phasing and flanging; we were trying to be modern in 1973 now it didn't seem necessary."

- He doesn't like the Five Miles Out album! :(

- He thinks Tubular Bells is full of humour that simply passes people by.

There's also a review of the re-release, as well as of the Mike Oldfield collection. They both get a positive review.
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: June 13 2009, 15:53

I'd still love some scans if possible ?
Profile PM 

Posted: June 13 2009, 17:00

Quote (HuanCry @ June 13 2009, 16:53)
I'd still love some scans if possible ?

That would be nice to see!

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: June 30 2009, 06:15

I have received the magazine today.

Great article! There is a photo I have never seen in it. Mike with the beard and long hair, wearing a white sweet shirt with two birds on it. Moreover he is playing a very nice guitar...

If someone explain how to put this picture on this forum,  I will do it...

:)

--------------

Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: June 30 2009, 06:33

I've seen that one somewhere before.Not sure where though.And yes it is a nice guitar.I wonder where it is now............ :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 

Posted: June 30 2009, 20:45

Guess what...I went to our local Fnac store and I found the mag here,and bought it  :D

Will read the article...

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: July 29 2009, 17:46

Quote (The Caveman @ June 30 2009, 12:33)
I've seen that one somewhere before.Not sure where though.And yes it is a nice guitar.I wonder where it is now............ :laugh:

Caveman mate...

Here is the picture I was talking about...

http://p200server.us.es/mikeoldfield/verfoto.asp?id=7591

;)

--------------

Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 30 2009, 04:36

Thanks Yannick.I have the magazine.I meant i've seen the picture in another magazine article or book but i can't think where.He looks almost happy! :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 

Posted: Nov. 25 2009, 14:24

On issue 5(Dec '09) of Classic Rock Presents Prog,there are a few bits Oldfield-related:

- Alan Reed from Pallas has chosen Ommadawn as his fav prog album:
"Mike Oldfield,Ommadawn. Oldfield always appealed to my inner folkie, and this album, flows like no other thing he's done. The build-up to the end of part one, until that guitar breaks loose. It bleeds emotional distress. It's my first break-up record,too."

-there's an article on prog rockers and Christmas tunes, and it shows the cover of In Dulci Jublio and some comments:

"There's little doubt that many of the prog rockers who've tackled Christmas themes down the years have approached these works via a musical, rather than religious, perspective. From the Moody Blues' December(2003) to Annie Haslam's It Snows in Heaven too(2000) and Mike Oldfield's In Dulci Jublio(1975 - which got to number four on the chart), artists have used the subject to develop their own themes and ideas"

-On the Masterworks section,there is a 4-page on Pentangle's Basket of Life album,the band who feature 2 of Mike's guitar heroes(Bert Janach and John Renbourn).

--------------

Profile PM WEB 
17 replies since April 20 2009, 11:04 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net