Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike Get Your Piano Tuned, Out Of Tune TB 2003< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Paul D Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 13 2003, 08:05

Is it me or are there several bum notes played on piano on Harmonics TB 2003. In fact it sounds as if the Piano is out of tune with itself. I have been a keyboard player for longer than I want to admit and for a while was beginning to doubt myself, so I played the track to the rest of the band and some friends,they all winced when the notes were played. Even the drummer could here the notes!!!!

That said the rest of the album is excellent.

Paul D
Fellow rocker
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: July 14 2003, 04:39

I do know that I have to tune my synthesizers (Solina String Ensemble and Roland SH-2000, which Mike also used).  :p

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
torbenyj Offline

Posted: July 14 2003, 05:06

just a thought.
Could it be that the piano is tuned after another scale. Isn't  the A - 442 and he jused 440
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 14 2003, 11:18

or maybe it's a try to simulate a honky tonk piano?

:D

since the honky tonk pianos (as in GM standard) are defined to be pianos which have a few strings detuned to simulate the feel of western like pubs :)

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
timshen Offline

Posted: July 14 2003, 12:18

It made me wince too. But it appears to be done on purpose - as if there is some kid learning piano and finally manages to harmonize (hence the name 'Harmonics';). I remember someone saying that it's in the original but in the background and here it is in the foreground more.  :O

--------------
Expect Great Things.
Attempt Great Things.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 14 2003, 16:07

Quote (BOOsTER @ July 14 2003, 17:18)
or maybe it's a try to simulate a honky tonk piano?

The honky tonk piano is elsewhere in TB2003 (end of Blues). About Harmonics, all I can do is agree with Timshen 'cause I don't think I can have any other opinion about it. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
BOOsTER Offline

Posted: July 14 2003, 20:18

ok ...oh well i tried :)

but gotta say the end of blues 2:20 or something that piano...dunno why it's my favourite part on new TBs ;)

--------------
http://www.djbooster.net
Profile PM 
Paul D Offline

Posted: July 15 2003, 14:23

Hmmmm. Well its now got to the stage where I can't listern to the track anymore. Pity because on the original this was my favourite part ( apart from the opening few bars of side one).
Thanks for the replies, I don't think its suppose to sound like a Honky Tonk or blues style piano. If it is then it is in poor judgement because it just comes across as bum notes played by a novice keyboard  player. From what I understand Mike wanted to get rid of all the bum notes that were on the original, its seems he has ruined one of the best parts of TB by adding a few more. If I pay £17.00 for a CD no matter how high the recording standard then I expect instruments in tune with a minimum of obvious bum notes!  

Regards
Paul D
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: July 15 2003, 15:16

instruments in tune eh,hhmmm,did'nt stop you buying the first Tubuluar Bells eh,which by Mike's own admition is out of tune,still enjoy it though don't you!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Profile PM 
MusicallyInspired Offline

Posted: July 19 2003, 11:59

It's not out of tune. They are discordant notes, though. I thought it worked really well. I really like that part. There's something about the discordant notes that gives it a different dimension than just a 'perfect' one-scale song.

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
Jerome C Offline

Posted: July 25 2003, 09:33

I know there is no such thing as a "perfect record" (in the way the artist wanted it) and there will always be some errors (even small ones), but I can't imagine that with all the care he put in the making / mixing of TB2003, he wouldn't hear this. Pretty much like the second "mandolin" : it can't be a mistake, there is an idea behind that.

So I agree with the idea that "harmonics" ==> aren't always perfect, which implies small mistakes. Yes it's a twisted idea, but I think he has proven that he can be twisted many times now ;)

--------------
Jerome C
(long time out of here, but always having MO in mind somewhere)
Profile PM 
Blue Dolphin Offline

Posted: July 25 2003, 12:28

Do you people already heard that you can hear Mike hitting the notes on his piano in the piano intro of TB2003?

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
Paul D Offline

Posted: July 28 2003, 19:21

Thanks for the replys all

Have had my question sent to Mike but as normal no reply. But then I only buy his out of tune music, with money I have had to work bloody hard for. But then that's a rock star, out of touch and out of here.

Paul D :(  :(  :(
Profile PM 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2003, 21:19

Quote (Paul D @ July 29 2003, 00:21)
Thanks for the replys all

Have had my question sent to Mike but as normal no reply. But then I only buy his out of tune music, with money I have had to work bloody hard for. But then that's a rock star, out of touch and out of here.

Paul D :(  :(  :(

or alternatively, that's a rock star with a life to live and far too many questions from fans to answer.

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
Brewer Offline

Posted: Sep. 01 2003, 23:15

Out of tune Piano. This is actually present in the original TB and it was always one of my favouite parts. It was next to nearly impossible to hear on the original but it was there. Hence i was overjoyed when it was much clearer in TB2003.

No its not a mistake. Listen carefully to the original. My only beef is the missing Kettle Drum during the Bagpipe Guitars section. God i really miss them as they used to scare the s**t out of me when listened to with headphones on.

--------------
Maker of MOs favourite beverage

No trees were harmed in the creation and sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2003, 12:25

I didn't think it sounded that out of tune. maybe only by a halfstep (at most). i've played on various pianos (from uprights, to grands) and each has their own sound. My upright at home is very clangy (it's a chickering), but some Boesendorf grands that i've played on have that kind of "dull" sound to them, making them almost sound out of tune.

i'd like to hope that if his pianos were out of tune, that it was a recent thing....perhaps last time it was tuned was a few months ago, not a few years ago.

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
Brewer Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2003, 22:58

Its not out of tune, its not BUM notes. Its intended and it is present on the original.

"Side 2" of the original was recorded over months as opposed to "Side 1" which was done in a week.
Hence "Side 2" is full of little pieces like the "Out of tune piano" and is much more abstract than "Side 1" and more prefered by MO and the fans.
"Side 2" is much more in keeping with the Albums that followed.

The actual sound of that particular riff from the piano has always reminded me of the soundtrack to the Hitchcock Movie "The Rope".

--------------
Maker of MOs favourite beverage

No trees were harmed in the creation and sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2003, 00:03

Quote (Brewer @ Sep. 02 2003, 21:58)
Its not out of tune, its not BUM notes. Its intended and it is present on the original.

"Side 2" of the original was recorded over months as opposed to "Side 1" which was done in a week.
Hence "Side 2" is full of little pieces like the "Out of tune piano" and is much more abstract than "Side 1" and more prefered by MO and the fans.
"Side 2" is much more in keeping with the Albums that followed.

The actual sound of that particular riff from the piano has always reminded me of the soundtrack to the Hitchcock Movie "The Rope".

YES! ah yes!

i was a bit confused. i thought everyone was talking about part one. and here i am thinking, "wait...it doesn't sound that bad at all..."

but yes, in Part two there are those parts where you're like, "wait...what?!" . but yeah, i totally agree; those aren't out of tune pianos, nor are they "Bum" notes. it does seem to have a hitchcockian sense to it. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2003, 07:21

Quote (tubularbills @ Sep. 02 2003, 12:25)
I didn't think it sounded that out of tune. maybe only by a halfstep (at most).

Out of tune "only" by a half step? How much more out of tune can it get, then?
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Sep. 03 2003, 11:42

oh way more. i've heard two, three half steps. God that's bad. good ol' music ed. back in elementary school days.

--------------
Profile PM 
24 replies since July 13 2003, 08:05 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net