Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike featuring on Terry Oldfields new album, "Journey into Space" out July 2012< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Harmono Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Mar. 09 2012, 12:34

Great! Most of you propably know that Terry Oldfield has made a lot of music for nature documentaries, relaxation and yoga, but there's also more melodic stuff, such as the album Celt, which is a good one.
Profile PM 
oblique Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2012, 16:25

Terry's been one of my favorite artists since many years.
This new album is great news, and i'll make sure to buy it this summer.

--------------
"While we are alive we should sit among colored lights and taste good wines, and discuss our adventures in far places; when we are dead, the opportunity is past." - Jack Vance
Profile PM 
Mix Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2012, 16:48

Quote (Harmono @ Mar. 09 2012, 19:34)
Great! Most of you propably know that Terry Oldfield has made a lot of music for nature documentaries, relaxation and yoga, but there's also more melodic stuff, such as the album Celt, which is a good one.

I can also recommend albums "De Profundis" (or "Out of the Depths") and "Icon". Absolutely beautiful stuff. I have ordered a couple of Terry's CDs from his site, and he very generously signs the albums if you request that in your order. At least that's how things were when I ordered "De Profundis II" and "Reflections".
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2012, 17:45

Terry seems like a great guy, no doubt about it. It's just that his music isn't something I feel like returning to very often. It doesn't suck by any means (what little I've heard of it). I'm certainly looking forward to this collaboration, but I'll reserve judgement until I've heard it.
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2012, 17:54

Why is only 24 replies ( including this one  ) showing when 33 replies are indicated ?
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Mar. 09 2012, 18:22

Quote (HuanCry @ Mar. 09 2012, 17:54)
Why is only 24 replies ( including this one  ) showing when 33 replies are indicated ?

Fixed. Something broke the counter when I merge the topics.
Profile PM 
Airborne Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2012, 12:37

Quote (jjmillenium @ Mar. 09 2012, 10:02)
In fact, some days ago, he said that he's working on a track that the both brothers used to play on Barefoot :)

The music of Barefoot was close to the Caveman section of Tubular Bells. I cannot see that type of music turning up on one of Terry's esoteric albums - but you never know.

One little gem of a recording by Terry is his "Spiral Waves" demo that he did in the mid 70's. Probably the closest he has got to sounding like his brother.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVX2tdJx5Cs
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2012, 13:57

:O  :) Ohhh I love it !! Very nice track ! Yes very close to Mike's music ! Hope this is the track they played together !
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 12 2012, 06:22

Anything new from Mike (Even a collaboration) is great news indeed, Will be getting this definitely.
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2012, 14:18

I think it's sad for Terry because a lot of people will be interested in his new album all of a sudden, just because his brother "Mike Oldfield" is stated on the cover.

It's like a new not very interesting movie with "produced by the directors of The Matrix", just to boost the movie when in fact few people would care otherwise.

I tried to listen to some albums from Terry and honestly not even one song grabbed my attention and everything sounded the same from old to recent albums.

And yes, because Mike is featured in his new album, I will give it a try, but knowing I will be "searching" for the Mike touch, hoping he was involved in the composition. And I think this is a bad way of being interested in an album from his brother.

Nevertheless, the simple fact that Mike is doing a collaboration with his brother is great and I hope the two make a great duo, considering they are 50/50 involved, not just Mike playing guitar on 2 or 3 songs.

Can't wait to hear that!
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2012, 16:23

Quote (Drealm @ Mar. 13 2012, 20:18)
I think it's sad for Terry because a lot of people will be interested in his new album all of a sudden, just because his brother "Mike Oldfield" is stated on the cover.

I think Terry is well aware of that and probably doesn't have a problem with it. Why should he? He knows he has his own fans, not as many as Mike, sure, but I reckon equally hardcore. I can't be sure because I don't listen to the stuff, but it's been my impression that he's a big name in the new age scene.

And yes, because Mike is featured in his new album, I will give it a try, but knowing I will be "searching" for the Mike touch, hoping he was involved in the composition.

I wouldn't seperate it like that either. Mike has always very much made any collaboration he was involved in his own work, and all the collaborations are 100% MO tracks to me, even something like The Skids' "Iona", which is awesome even though I normally don't like punk music. He has never worked on anything where his style wouldn't fit.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Mar. 13 2012, 16:38

Quote (Airborne @ Mar. 10 2012, 18:37)
One little gem of a recording by Terry is his "Spiral Waves" demo that he did in the mid 70's. Probably the closest he has got to sounding like his brother.

This is indeed good stuff, thanks for that! It's going on my playlist.
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2012, 00:58

Frankly, I'd like to know what happened to his "Telecaster" project!
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Mar. 14 2012, 05:15

Quote (christopher @ Mar. 14 2012, 04:58)
Frankly, I'd like to know what happened to his "Telecaster" project!

Mike was asked about that in an interview last year which you can read here. Telecaster comments were:

"Interviewer: ...Mike, you had a project at some point involving the Telecaster guitar, is that still ongoing?

Mike: How did you hear about that! That was supposed to be secret! ... I did have an idea of making an album just using a Telecaster guitar. ... But then I sort of cheated, I got a Telecaster guitar with special humbucker pickups and then I thought well that's not really a Telecaster, that's more like a Gibson Les Paul or something but I will tell you one thing, I've still got the ideas from that and I've just done a recording session remotely by Skype with one of the best session drummers in Los Angeles he's called John Robinson and that worked out really well which means that now from my sort of master control centre in the Bahamas I can do sessions anywhere in the world you know using internet and I'm very excited about that. There's other things in the works, working with another musician who lives over here this side of the Atlantic doing some club remixes of old material...."

So I guess we might hear *something* of that telecaster stuff at some point!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Drealm Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2012, 18:22

Quote (Matt @ Mar. 14 2012, 05:15)
[quote=christopher,Mar. 14 2012, 04:58]
"Interviewer: ...Mike, you had a project at some point involving the Telecaster guitar, is that still ongoing?

Mike: How did you hear about that! That was supposed to be secret!

Could it be why Fanny stopped her journal about all Mike's albums?

Mike realized that some private things were leaking to us via Fanny and he asked her to stop the project?

Does anyone know? It was really great reading her.
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2012, 18:46

:/ ...Drealm , this thing also has gone through my mind !.. hope i'm wrong but perhaps Mike asked her to stop writing all about their life !
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Mar. 14 2012, 21:52

It's just a matter of boundaries really.Seems that both felt it was too much exposure for their own taste.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2012, 09:02

Quote (Airborne @ Mar. 10 2012, 18:37)
[quote=jjmillenium,Mar. 09 2012, 10:02]One little gem of a recording by Terry is his "Spiral Waves" demo that he did in the mid 70's. Probably the closest he has got to sounding like his brother.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVX2tdJx5Cs

After listening to this twice, I have to admit I'm a bit weirded out by it. It sounds like Mike, but missing all the edge. Not even like newer Mike, who also has lost a lot of his edge, but lacking any bite whatsoever. No criticism, it's still good stuff, I just find it a bit unnerving.  :D
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 15 2012, 19:10

It's the Janet Jackson effect all over again  :)
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Mar. 15 2012, 20:06

Quote (Milamber @ Mar. 16 2012, 01:10)
It's the Janet Jackson effect all over again  :)

:laugh: Exactly!
Profile PM 
50 replies since Mar. 09 2012, 04:40 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 [2] 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net