Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (8) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike drops more rock album hints in Mojo< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 04 2012, 05:49

Good point Jim..Yes he would be overshadowed...Still want my Gilmour Guilty cover though...

Hey if they both got Jeff Lynne an Old Bob involved they could be the Travelling Gilberrys  ;)
Profile PM 
kazav Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 04 2012, 05:59

Quote (Tubular Tos @ Aug. 04 2012, 01:27)
Chris and Tati i'm ok with Bowie , Bush and Lennox !

Add Mark Hollis to that and you have my wish list.

--------------
The purpose of education is to replace an empty mind with an open one.
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2012, 06:51

Quote (Scatterplot @ Aug. 04 2012, 10:35)
Gilmour and Oldfield I've thought of. It would be too much of a competition. Gilmour would win and Oldfield would look like a supporting actor. Sorry, but Gilmour's fan base makes Oldfield's miniscule by comparison mostly because PF toured the USA extensively and Mike did not. I think MO played New York once but in the day, I looked....he never played in America other than that. Had he come, I would have been there. PF and MO were in different ballparks although they were both prog. I would like to see a union where Mike is "the show". Not someone else overshadowing him, especially since his days of diminished public appearance began long ago. Even MOTS saw him in a small role publicly. Gilmour....especially if he sang, would be a bad idea. It would become a Gilmour album.

A Gilmour/Oldfield team up could be interesting, but I fear you could be right about Gilmour 'winning'. That's the danger with collaborating with a really big name - at what point would it cease to be an Oldfield album with a guest spot or two and become instead a 'supergroup', or worse MO as the guest star?
I like your Ray Wilson suggestion. I loved 'Calling All Stations...", his vocals on that were excellent.
I also quite like Bowie and Kate Bush as suggestions. They're sufficiently kooky to bring something unique to the table. Ditto with Matt Bellamy of Muse. Although Muse are pretty hot in the UK and they've got a new album coming out soon, so I wouldn't have thought they'd be interested in such a project.
I hope though whoever he works with the results are truly OLDFIELD writ large. I quite like Elton John, but if I want to listen to him I'll put on an EJ CD not one by Mike Oldfield.  ;)

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2012, 07:41

Steve Hogarth or Kate Bush could work! Steve could very well be interested. Most of the other people mentioned have gone into semi-retirement are propably wouldn't be bothered.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2012, 08:49

;) ..and why not Kevin Sumner !! he has a great voice too !!   ;)
Profile PM 
kazav Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2012, 11:33

Who knows who would come out of semi or full retirement if they had they chance to work with MO?

--------------
The purpose of education is to replace an empty mind with an open one.
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2012, 12:51

:zzz: Joe Cocker ?
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2012, 19:40

Bonnie Tyler. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2012, 19:47

:) Pat Benatar ! Kim Wilde ! ...Barbra Streisand ! ...no i'm serious ! I really love her voice !
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2012, 20:58

It has always been a dream of mine to put 2 of my favorite people together...Mike Oldfield and Nena! She needs to get back into good old rock again like back in the 80's.

Can't say I'm excited with the Elton idea...
Profile PM WEB 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2012, 21:08

:O didn't know that Nena could be famous in the States !

and what about Dolores O'riordan or ..Crissie Hynde
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2012, 21:17

Quote (Tubular Tos @ Aug. 04 2012, 21:08)
:O didn't know that Nena could be famous in the States !

She's not. Most people don't know there's more to her career than 99 Luftballons.

Come to think of it Mike isn't exactly popular in the States, either.
Profile PM WEB 
christopher Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2012, 22:52

Oh why didn't I think of this before. Debbie Harry.  She's a huge MO fan and she has a great voice that is easily recognizable.
Profile PM 
Reena Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2012, 01:32

Quote (christopher @ Aug. 05 2012, 04:52)
Oh why didn't I think of this before. Debbie Harry.  She's a huge MO fan ...

Ik didn't know that? Is she? :O
Not sure if I'd like this combination.... Might work though....

The name of Pat Benatar sure sounds great to me.  :cool:
Profile PM 
Ratty Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2012, 05:13

What about Mike using more modern, up to date vocalists? Heres a few to muse over:

Ed Sheeran
Emeli Sande
Adele
Paloma Faith
Lana Del Ray
Chris Martin (Coldplay)
Newton Faulkner
Will Young

Emeli Sande would be my choice by a mile, such a fantastic voice. Just suggestions though, we can do better than the run of the mill Elton Johns, Rod Stewart.....

--------------
Far away across the field
The tolling of the iron bell
Calls the faithful to their knees
To hear the softly spoken magic spells
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2012, 09:10

Loads of Singers Bubbling under the Radar...   Not to Bothered if the Artist is Not so Well Known as Long as the Vocals Fit the Song..  I Reckon Mike writes a Song then Thinks of a Artist that would fit the Song..  Maybe he has written some Already

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2012, 12:33

Ratty I totally overlooked Adele in favor of Flouremce Welch. But yes you are totally right... Adele is perfect!! :)
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2012, 17:10

I've said it before, he needs to work with Mark Knopfler, forget the modern voices, it just won't work for him, Mark is a great guitarist, songwriter, producer, and has as different a voice as Mike does.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 05 2012, 17:35

People can forget about Adele. A nice idea but she's pretty much the hottest musical property on the planet at the moment. If she was signed to Universal that it might have been a slightly more realistic proposition but she's not unfortunately. Universal might be willing to invest a bit more money in Mike post the Olympics but not that much.  

Singers like Florence Welch and Paloma Faith I could imagine slightly easier but they would have to seriously want to do it and I would have my doubts about either there. Personally I find Florence Welsh's voice way too over bearing to the point where it actually ruins her own songs. Paloma Faith I love but she's hyper opinionated and difficult to work with apparently so its probably a non starter.

Mark Knopfler could be good. He's much more of the generation I could see working with Mike but I don't know if there's any connection between the two. There's perhaps too much of the David Gilmour about him though, too much unspoken musical rivalry.

I think Mike and Universal should seriously think about who they're aiming the album at when going for singers. Do they chase a younger audience by selecting younger more slightly hip singers or do they go for a more mature audience. The latter is far more realistic I think. As Robert Plant found out with his massively successful duet with Alison Krauss the more mature audiences out there are actually the only ones who still pay for their music. Its a more lucrative market when it comes to album sales.
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2012, 06:56

Maybe Mike should give Maggie Reilly a call? :)
Profile PM 
150 replies since July 31 2012, 12:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (8) < 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net