Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (8) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike drops more rock album hints in Mojo< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
3Wheeler Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 31 2012, 15:35

Hope he gets a Good Vocalist ..  Can make or Break the  Thing.
Somebody like Clare Maguire or Florence Welch Sounding ..If its going to be a Power Vocal Type Album.. :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 15:44

This news has made me feel 20 years younger ( 51 now ) ..... Which is just the ticket since I'm about to do a really mad thing ... I'm studying an MSc in Maths when I've not done any maths for 20 years !!! ...WHAT MADNESS !

I think I'll need a good woman to help me get though it ... then we both can headbang together at the next MO concerts !!! .... Trouble is I lost my long hair when I joined the RAF in 79 !!!  :)
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 15:49

Just stood in the news agents and read the interview. Mike's on fine form. Here's an extract.

Q Tell us something you've never told anyone before.

Mike 'I'm not very polite so FUCK OFF!!!!'

LOL.

Elsewhere it sounds like he's not going to be that much involved with his other remasters. He says he's too scared to listen to listen to a lot of his earlier albums and didn't listen to them when deciding what to include on the Two Sides compilation. Here merely wrote a list from memory and sent it to the record label.
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: July 31 2012, 16:31

I don't really care what he says today. It might just be totally the opposite tomorrow. We've had that for decades now.

What's important is his believe in making the best music he possibly can. And that's what really counts.

;)

Edited by manintherain on Aug. 02 2012, 16:24
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Online

Posted: July 31 2012, 16:43

Quote (TOBY @ July 31 2012, 21:49)
Just stood in the news agents and read the interview. Mike's on fine form. Here's an extract.

Q Tell us something you've never told anyone before.

Mike 'I'm not very polite so FUCK OFF!!!!'

LOL.

Elsewhere it sounds like he's not going to be that much involved with his other remasters. He says he's too scared to listen to listen to a lot of his earlier albums and didn't listen to them when deciding what to include on the Two Sides compilation. Here merely wrote a list from memory and sent it to the record label.

Is it an inteview in the latest Q issue magazine?
(Sept.2012

Thanks

Y

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 16:43

Quote (GusFogle @ July 31 2012, 15:25)
Awesome news.

I really wonder if Mike has seen our performance of Amarok. I wouldn't presume to take credit, but I'd love to think that it inspired him in some way to get more active again musically.

Gus, I certainly have and it's amazing. How on earth do you do it? Have you followed music or worked it out by ear ? Incredible talent ! Mike would be very impressed I am sure. I know he wouldn't be able to play piano like that. Not even sure if Rick Wakeman could ;-)

Heavy metal ? ohhhh nooooooooooooo. Can't stand it !
Profile PM WEB 
Cudsie Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 16:51

well we have been here before when he announced his "Guitars" album.

Now that album does have a few moments - but that's just it - it does not hold together as a coherent cohesive piece - just a few tracks of doodling about.

I'm not getting my hopes up too high over this - however I am pleased that at least he is going back to a more rock sound - I was bored to tears with the chill out era - especially because other artists do it so much better than him!

Any clues as to when it will be released? this year? this decade??
Profile PM 
kazav Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 16:58

Quote (captain cavern @ July 31 2012, 18:26)
Yeah ! Hard rock and guitars...  :)

And a Hammond! Someone here mentioned prog rock so it could be a possibility if he's going to use the Hammond.This is really going to rock whatever! Excited!  :D  :D

--------------
The purpose of education is to replace an empty mind with an open one.
Profile PM 
kazav Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 17:01

Quote (equinoxe @ July 31 2012, 18:48)
This leads me to....noooo, is it just me, or does anybody else has.... the Amarok on his mind? :)

What? This one?

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/2012-vw-amarok-review/261905/

Sorry. Couldn't resist. It's all over the TV ads here in German at the mo.  ;)

--------------
The purpose of education is to replace an empty mind with an open one.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 17:08

Quote (yanouch65 @ July 31 2012, 16:43)
Is it an inteview in the latest Q issue magazine?
(Sept.2012

Thanks

Y

No its a one page interview in Mojo, near the beginning. Accompanied by a photo of Mike brandishing a shot gun.

Another interesting bit is him remember when he met Tim Rice and Tim commenting how much he liked the lyrics to Moonlight Shadow and how that gave Mike the confidence to continue writing songs.
Profile PM 
yanouch65 Online

Posted: July 31 2012, 17:21

Thank you
Ok, it is in the latest issue of Mojo (#226)

I have just bought one copy on ebay

Thank you again

Y

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 17:37

Quote (ian @ July 31 2012, 16:43)
Gus, I certainly have and it's amazing. How on earth do you do it? Have you followed music or worked it out by ear ? Incredible talent ! Mike would be very impressed I am sure. I know he wouldn't be able to play piano like that. Not even sure if Rick Wakeman could ;-)

Thanks so much for your kind comments, Ian. Ryan Yard spent 3 months transcribing the full band score of Amarok, I showed it at the beginning of the video when I walk out onto the stage. I arranged it for piano and bass guitar, so yes I read music. Couldn't have worked it out by ear, but Ryan Yard did. I suggest watching his video blogs of the transcription process on youtube. Really interesting! I just hope if Mike ever sees our performance he realizes how much love for Amarok went into it and the work and effort involved.

As for the new album, I'm eager to hear some new instrumentals, perhaps something in the style of "Taurus II". Be great to hear Mike's spin on rock music again after all these years.
Profile PM WEB 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 17:54

Semi-pointless random comment:
I can't believe how much of a party it's like on tubular.net at the moment. So much good news, so many people commenting. It's awesome. :cool:

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 18:01

Quote (tubular_trekkie @ July 31 2012, 17:54)
Semi-pointless random comment:
I can't believe how much of a party it's like on tubular.net at the moment. So much good news, so many people commenting. It's awesome. :cool:

random comments are always good ;)

...right now it is like it used to be here a few years back...lots of fun :)

another random comment...is it likely Mike's son would play on the new album...the one that played at the ceremony? Would like to see/hear some more of him

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
tindog Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 18:06

Quote (ian @ July 31 2012, 12:19)
Quote (Korgscrew @ July 31 2012, 12:14)
The September issue of [URL=http://cover.mojo4music.com/Item.aspx?

"I'm fed up with all these computers and samplers, the next album's going to be hard rock, lots of guitars, real drums, real vocals, Hammond organs."

Thanks, Blackabyss

I can't keep up with him. He seems to love computers one minute and hate them the next. I wish he were more consistent. Will we ever see another album like Ommadawn, Hergest or Amarok ?

Consistency is overrated... I walked up to the barista this morning and she asked, "iced americano?" I very often order an iced americano... but today I wanted a macchiato... what's wrong with me? Could it be I like both but at differing degrees at different times? Yesterday I enjoyed my iced americano, today I similarly enjoyed my macchiato... consistency is overrated.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 18:09

Quote (bee @ July 31 2012, 18:01)
another random comment...is it likely Mike's son would play on the new album...the one that played at the ceremony? Would like to see/hear some more of him

He's a producer and songwriter.

http://lukeoldfield.com/Luke_Oldfield/Songwriter.html

Nice songs  http://gypsyfingers.com/#4f6/bandcamp
Profile PM 
Mirage Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 18:28

Computers, samplers, real instruments, singers, whatever. If Mike plays it, I'll listen. But personally I've been waiting a long time for him to return to his roots. I hope that's where he's headed this time.
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 18:29

oh my!
I had no idea!!
Shame on me for not knowing....he's very good... very good

edit: I mean Luke here

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
bevy Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 18:32

This is great news, 2012 has been a great year for me so far and it just keeps getting better  :)
Profile PM 
AlexS Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 18:53

I really hope this will be a rock album in the Oldfield sense - as in long instrumental sections (like what Amarok could have been), and not another "Heaven's Open".

In other words, not song-based...

--------------
http://www.thelightdream.net
http://thelightdreams.bandcamp.com/
Profile PM WEB 
150 replies since July 31 2012, 12:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (8) < 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net