Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (8) < ... 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike drops more rock album hints in Mojo< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
AlexS Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 06 2012, 07:32

Personally I can't listen to Mike's 80s song-based albums, they simply do nothing for me. Probably because it's the instrumental aspect of his work that I like.

It will be interesting to see how the rock album works out - with the above comment in mind, I'd hope that it will be a combination of long instrumental sections punctuated by a few strong vocal tracks.

I'd love to hear Peter Gabriel sing on one of them. But Rod or Elton? No thanks! It shouldn't be an homage to aeging rockers either - a nice mix of classic artists and new blood would work well.

Personally I just hope it won't be all song-based. I guess we'll find out soon enough!

--------------
http://www.thelightdream.net
http://thelightdreams.bandcamp.com/
Profile PM WEB 
adler Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2012, 11:21

Annie Haslam  :)
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2012, 11:25

Quote (larstangmark @ Aug. 02 2012, 22:28)
Quote (GusFogle @ Aug. 02 2012, 16:02)
Quote (larstangmark @ Aug. 02 2012, 12:09)
"No, that does not sound like a real bass guitar!".

Are you talking about his more recent (past 15 years) bass sounds, or his more classic bass sounds?

I always thought Mike had very unique bass sounds, such as on Amarok and Tubular Bells 2003.

I'm was thinking about the bass figure in Tubular Bells 2003 part 1. It's 0:52 into this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tun9bcnfotU

That's a modulation wheel vibrato.

Mike is an excellent bass player and usually has a great and unique bass sounds just as you mentioned (there's a thread somewhere on this forum about his merits as a bass player!;). That's why it's so frustrating to hear him use cheap plugins.

I think that a producer would also have advised against his excessive use of "saxatar" on Tres Lunas and vocaloid plugin on that other album. It's just laziness! Deep down I think he knows that the real deal would have sounded much better.

A total agree over all written here.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
AlexS Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2012, 11:47

Agreed also! And as much as I love synthesisers, there's a limit when it comes to what it can/can't replicate or replace.

With Mike's music, it's always been the organic, textured sound of the real, hand-played instruments that gives it a certain appeal.

--------------
http://www.thelightdream.net
http://thelightdreams.bandcamp.com/
Profile PM WEB 
MikeArnold Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2012, 16:13

Rock is not really new territory for Mike, as we've seen snippets of what he can do with 'Shadow on the Wall', 'Discovery', 'Mistake', 'See the Light', 'Heavens Open', 'Magic Touch', etc.  And, the rock tunes have usually been accompanied by a long intrumental work and a few folk or pop style tracks.

To hear a full length rock album from Mike would be fantastic. It's something he could really excel at.  Time for Mike to re-write the list of rock guitar legends?

A good idea would be to use established rock vocalists from both sides of the Atlantic, to give the album as much exposure as possible, particularly in the USA and Canada who still have a strong rock following.  

Singers like John Wetton, Sammy Hagar, Phil Collins (if he can be pursuaded out of retirement for a track or two), Paul Carrack (ex. Mike & The Mechanics), Richard Marx, Bryan Adams, Cher, Steve Perry (ex Journey), Bono, Robert Plant, Lou Gramm (ex. Foreigner), Steve Miller are just a few really great vocalists Mike could consider approaching.
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: Aug. 06 2012, 16:50

Robert Plant ? ...... I'm sure Mike said ages ago he hated his voice ?
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2012, 05:56

I think it would be more realistic to think of singers that would fit hard rock sound. Somehow it's hard to imagine Maggie Reilly or Adele growling on top of heavy guitars!

How about the singer of Tyr, Heri Joensen? Amazing voice. Peter Gabriel collaboration would be amazing. Shirley Manson?

From the old bunch I would love to hear Barry Palmer again.

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2012, 06:12

I'd love to see Mike singing again...he's not the best singer in the world,but if he uses it like any other instrument,that would be great.Maybe on that personal song?

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2012, 06:36

It is so good to see Tubularians so happy with news of a new album. I am too! Looking forward! Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2012, 10:45

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Aug. 07 2012, 06:12)
I'd love to see Mike singing again...he's not the best singer in the world,but if he uses it like any other instrument,that would be great.Maybe on that personal song?

i like mike's voice, it was great 20 something years ago but what is it today?

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2012, 15:48

Quote (theweightless @ Aug. 07 2012, 15:45)
Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Aug. 07 2012, 06:12)

i like mike's voice, it was great 20 something years ago but what is it today?

Yes, that's a fair point I suppose. Could be multi-tracked or 'tweaked' though to give it a bit of polish!

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
Jools Offline

Posted: Aug. 07 2012, 16:13

Some terrible suggestions so far! (Elton, Rod Stewart, Bono)

I offer these who can handle rock or ballad.

Judie Tzuke
Greg Lake - singing really well on recent solo tour by all accounts
Steve Walsh
John Wetton
Ray Weston or Greg Kull (Echolyn - amazing band - check them out)

I wouldn't be against Mike taking on the duties for the odd track if he's still up to it, to give songs the emotional resonance they often need.

A singer makes or breaks a song  - a great song sung badly becomes a bad song.

The following wouldn't be suitable for hard rock but would be great to hear singing a Mike song or even collaborating.

Anyone heard Ledra Chapman? Check out Telling Tales album and the song "Story"? A beautiful singer who could do the Maggie Reilly thing very well.

Joni Michell - wow - that would be an amazing combination of talent.

Agnetha Faltskog, Kate Bush - both great.
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Aug. 08 2012, 23:33

Quote (Ugo @ Aug. 04 2012, 19:40)
Bonnie Tyler. :D

ha ha - love the vocal on Islands.

Must say I am up for whatever he puts out, given that I like pretty much 99% of what he has done, and don't mind the other 1%.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Aug. 10 2012, 08:10

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Aug. 04 2012, 01:00)
As for guest vocalists,I'd love to see him working with Steven Wilson(Porcupine Tree/Blackfield/No-Man/Storm Corrosion)

just what i was thinking in this moment.. that woudl be so great to see what they could point out.. :D

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
CJJC Offline

Posted: Aug. 10 2012, 09:15

Dizzee Rascal, surely?

Andrew W.K.

In the end, more likely to be session chaps - the modern equivalent of Barry Palmer or Max Bacon.

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
Navaira Offline

Posted: Aug. 13 2012, 01:52

Judie Tzuke! Great idea!

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
pipetune Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2012, 16:36

I agree with AlexS

Strange that Mike has been tying recently to promote instrumental rock albums when he is about to bring out an album of songs!

I think this is a mistake. The main reason is, solo musicians who have done this in the past just relegate themselves to backing musician status, becoming just part of the band. The whole listening experience is focused on the lead singer - how he/she sings and what the lyrics are. All you will get from Mike is the odd guitar solo.

I think it is best to recognise your strengths and what your audience/ buying public expects and focus on that.

If I was Mike I would set myself a challenge, to produce my finest album ever and make Tubular Bells by comparison sound like a record made by a 19 year old!
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2012, 02:51

Don't want it sounding like ELO then :)   Although a Few of his rock tracks exactly do that ...   I think he must of had a Soft spot For Jeff Lynn at that moment in time...  

Something along the Lines of Crises would be Ok.. A mix of  Short Instrumentals and a Variety of Vocalists just in case one is not everybody's cup of Tea.. Mike was always Smart in that Respect...  Mixing and matching up the Vocalists to suit the Songs.  :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2012, 10:47

Imagine Jack Black hahaha ha ha.... no wait. That would be awful.
Profile PM 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: Aug. 17 2012, 11:46

Quote (Black Bunik @ Aug. 16 2012, 10:47)
Imagine Jack Black hahaha ha ha.... no wait. That would be awful.

Or Jack Black and Jack White doing a duet?  Shadow on the Wall - the Tenacious Stripes Remix?
Profile PM WEB 
150 replies since July 31 2012, 12:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (8) < ... 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net