[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (8) < ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike drops more rock album hints in Mojo< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Delfín Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 27 2012, 18:02

Quote (equinoxe @ Aug. 03 2012, 17:52)
Quote (BornInTheUK @ Aug. 03 2012, 11:45)

yes, I struggled there to come up with a recent example but there's also the Hammond-y track on L+S (can't remember its name and dont have it to hand).

It is Ringscape. What-a-tune!!!!!!

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2012, 10:40

Quote (Delfín @ Aug. 27 2012, 18:02)
Quote (equinoxe @ Aug. 03 2012, 17:52)
Quote (BornInTheUK @ Aug. 03 2012, 11:45)

yes, I struggled there to come up with a recent example but there's also the Hammond-y track on L+S (can't remember its name and dont have it to hand).

It is Ringscape. What-a-tune!!!!!!

It's one of the most soulful on L&S but I can never quite decide whether playing the same guitar riff over and over with different emphases and in different registers is clever or dull... can't help but feel someone like David Gilmour could have a field day covering it though.
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2012, 18:41

@ Delffín & BornInTheUK: I always thought that the Ringscape theme works much better in its original context, i.e. during the snow cavern flight in the Tr3s Lunas game. In there it's just a one-minute snippet, and it's just perfect. I somehow feel that the L+S version dilutes it a bit... the game version is straight to the point, powerful and dramatic.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2012, 11:14

I confess I've never played Tres Lunas or Music VR.  Might have to check it out now though it'll probably seem like something archaic - game technology moves fearfully fast.

GB
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2012, 20:42

@ BornInTheUK: Tr3s Lunas/Music VR looked archaic even when it came out. :D But what I've always thought about it is that what matters isn't the the graphics or the images or the setting or the gameplay or anything else: what matters is the music. Some of the music within the game is unique to the game itself, and, at least in my opinion, only works within the game.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
TheMann Offline

Posted: Sep. 20 2012, 07:28

Mike is rather unique, one of the greatest composers in modern history of music. I love much of his stuff, very much.

And it is great that he talks about "live" music, "real" instruments! This is truly good news.

However, I am not sure that Mike will put enough effort into the work. I think he did in MOTS; before that, there were an endless string of hasty & lazy computer tracks. (A few highlights, but lots of rubbish; L&S, TLs, MB, TB3).

And, it worries me: did you hear that "new composition" at the Olympics? HELLO

Hey, imagine that you are to compose a little piece for THE OLYMPICS!! (1000000000 people watching it). Then, wouldn't you come up with something better than that completely boring piano piece???

A chord sequence that sounds as if a ten year old boy is just testing the piano. Give me a break.

Mike, he needs to focus damn hard now; really put a lot of energy into it.
Profile PM 
TheMann Offline

Posted: Sep. 20 2012, 07:31

By the way, if I hear someone saying "Tubular Bells" again, I will commit suicide.

I THINK there is more that that f-n record to talk about.
Profile PM 
Platinumpty Offline

Posted: Sep. 20 2012, 11:36

Quote (Ugo @ Aug. 29 2012, 20:42)
Some of the music within the game is unique to the game itself, and, at least in my opinion, only works within the game.

Hmmm... interesting theory.  Trouble is I don't really want to play a game in order to listen to some music in the same way that I don't want to ride a bicycle in order to watch a movie.

That said... I have actually seen a bicycle-powered portable cinema and it seemed quite popular at festivals etc...

what next... a novel you can only read by collecting playing cards...? Hmmm.... that gives me an idea...

GB
Profile PM WEB 
Chicular Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2012, 05:26

Quote (TheMann @ Sep. 20 2012, 07:28)
And, it worries me: did you hear that "new composition" at the Olympics? HELLO

Hey, imagine that you are to compose a little piece for THE OLYMPICS!! (1000000000 people watching it). Then, wouldn't you come up with something better than that completely boring piano piece???

A chord sequence that sounds as if a ten year old boy is just testing the piano. Give me a break.

Mike, he needs to focus damn hard now; really put a lot of energy into it.

I think that's a bit harsh.  

I think that although technically it's a new piece, it's loosely based on what had gone before it, i.e, In Dulci Jubilo.

If he had gone from one extreme to another in terms of the bit at the end it just wouldn't flow properly.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2012, 05:54

Even Coldplay,who dominated the Paralympics' Closing Ceremony didn't come up with any special piece for the occasion.It was purely their concert there unlike Mike's where his music was used as a soundtrack to the ceremony itself and had a meaning.

I've written a piece about Mike's involvement at the Olympics for a Brazilian music website and someone sent me this,from this website here - http://madammiaow.blogspot.co.uk/2012....on.html

However, it was the NHS segment that gave me the most squeeing pleasure as Boyle stuck it to Richard Branson and the privatisers. Melding the NHS and children's literature, a battalion of nurses and doctors wheeled in hospital beds occupied by children (two to a bed — how it will look when the Tories get through with it).

A childcatcher (Maggie Thatcher?), a terrifyingly oversized Voldemort and assorted monsters (coalition creeps and Big Biz) harry the children while NHS staff attempt to fight them off.

(...)And the music to accompany this warning to the forces of evil to get their mitts off our NHS? Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells. Significance? Tubular Bells was the phenomenal seller in the early 1970s which made Branson's Virgin empire (he even named one of his Virgin America Airlines planes "Tubular Belle"). Branson's Virgin, now scheming to run the PRIVATISED NHS SERVICE, including children's healthcare!!! Kudos, Danny!

Well,maybe that's why Danny Boyle wanted Mike Oldfield to be there playing...Tubular Bels a-g-a-i-n.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
mikeythewaterboy Offline

Posted: Oct. 12 2012, 10:24

not been on here for a while and was just looking through some of the suggestions for singers on this rock album:

like the sound of Annie Lennox and Rod Stewart, even Bowie is mad enough to sound like it could work!

how about Jim Kerr from Simple Minds, he's done a few great collaborations!
Profile PM 
150 replies since July 31 2012, 12:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (8) < ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net