Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (8) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike drops more rock album hints in Mojo< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Pat Gleeson Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 03 2012, 12:29

Quote (BornInTheUK @ Aug. 03 2012, 16:45)
... the Hammond-y track on L+S (can't remember its name and dont have it to hand)...

That says all you need to know about L+S and the execrable Tres Lunas :-)
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2012, 13:39

Quote (larstangmark @ Aug. 03 2012, 15:08)

Toby, with faceless session singers, do you mean Maggie Reilly and Barry Palmer? I think they had great and very original voices and adapted their singing to the material. Some of the low points of Mike's career (at least for me) feature "name" singers (Shadow on the Wall, Islands (!!!;), Shine, Magic Touch).
Imagine the songs from Discovery sung by "name" guest singers. The title track sung by Coverdale, Talk About Your Life sung by Sara Brightman or Poison Arrows sung by Billy Joel. That may have lent some "gravitas" but the album would have three times more bland + the "album" feel would not have been there. I want to Mike Oldfield's new album to be good, not HUGE (although I wouldn't disapprov of the latter obviously!;).

Also, anything that Elton John or Rod Stewart sings on becomes Elton John or Rod Stewart. He might as well has S**ng singing on the album. :-(

This is a BIG problem with using really big rock star names like Rod Stewart or Elton John IMO. I somehow can't see them just turning up as guest singers on a Mike Oldfield album either - wouldn't they want to 'collaborate' or co-write/produce etc.?
Dire Straits did of course use Sting on their 'Money for Nothing' track which did work out quite well, but I think both Sting and Dire Straits were at a similar level with respect to their reputations. They were both popular stadium-filler-type artists - MO isn't in the same class as either Rod Stewart or Elton John. I don't think he has that marquee value as a 'rock star' and that's not to diminish him in any way; his raison d'etre is a lot broader and deeper than that.

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2012, 14:11

Quote (tubular_trekkie @ Aug. 03 2012, 13:39)
Dire Straits did of course use Sting on their 'Money for Nothing' track

I didn't know that. I have that track on my mp3 player right now. I feel like taking a post-rape shower.
:laugh:

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2012, 14:16

There was an interesting interview with Mike's ex PA Jeremy Parker in the early 90's in Airborne magazine where Jeremy stated that Mike selects a singer like he selects a musical instrument, he simply goes with whoever he feels has the particular voice and tone he's looking for with any given song. The fact that he auditioned and then didn't use both Ian Gillan and Fish for singing duties on Earth Moving would support this. Both were relatively speaking internationally famous singers at the time. Had Earth Moving featured the pair on singing duties I think it would have got a bit more attention.

To be honest I'm not much of a fan of a lot of Mike's 80's song writing. Five Miles Out, Family Man, Moonlight shadow, To France are all superb but that's about it. By the time he got to Earth Moving I think he showed he was mastering it a bit better. The dodgy lyrics aside I think Earth Moving, from a musical and production point of view is actually a pretty accomplished album. It may sound dated now but it was pretty in vogue in 1989. Had it had a lot of bigger named singers on it it probably would have done better.

I think without question Mike's song writing definitely reached its peak on Heavens Open. The lyrics were for the first time fairly personal and therefore the songs had a bit more emotional gravitas. And Mike, at that time anyway, actually had a fairly powerful and decent voice. Again it sounds dated today but was good for its time.

I think its nonsense to assume Mike isn't a big enough act to attract big name singers. That's not how it works anyway. Like so many things in life it'll all come down to money. With Mike riding high on the back of the olympics Universal will want a big album from him and I'm sure they'll invest in it. Its a great marketing tool to have a few big name singers on an album and as we all know its all about marketing these days.
MO is incredibly respected from within the music industry and that has undoubtably just gone up a notch thanks to Danny Boyle singling him out. Big name singers won't be a problem I don't think but it will of course come down to the quality of the songs and what sort of money can be paid.

On another note. Mike was interviewed on radio 6 music this afternoon. Apparently he's been offered big shows in the likes of the O2 Arena in London by promoters but isn't interested, which is a shame.
Profile PM 
CJJC Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2012, 17:21

Quote (larstangmark @ Aug. 03 2012, 14:11)
I feel like taking a post-rape shower.
:laugh:

??

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
Reena Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2012, 17:48

So Mike himself is dreaming of voices like Rod Stewart and Elton John...
Maybe there are some other suggestions we can give him...
Mike: I'd love to hear Sharon den Adel (Within Temptation) to sing an Oldfield-rocksong !!!
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2012, 18:13

Quote (Reena @ Aug. 03 2012, 17:48)
Sharon den Adel (Within Temptation) to sing an Oldfield-rocksong !!!

excellent idea...she's great...

Matt Bellamy from Muse?
Pete Shoulder from The Union?...really bluesy..worth a listen
Dan Auerbach from the Black Keys?
Michael Schenker from MSG ...Rock you to the Ground

I'm sure it will be good...it's time now....bound to have an unexpected element too...he's good at surprises....so looking forward to the unmistakable Oldfield guitar sound.... :)

[...just realised that it might have been Graham Bonnet on that MSG track] edit by bee

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2012, 18:41

Quote (TOBY @ Aug. 03 2012, 19:16)
on another note. Mike was interviewed on radio 6 music this afternoon. Apparently he's been offered big shows in the likes of the O2 Arena in London by promoters but isn't interested, which is a shame.

I saw Blur playing on Wednesday at 100 Club in London earlier this week.It's a very small venue(350 people) and the atmosphere was intense.They're going to play at Hyde Park on August 12th for 30K people.

I can see Mike playing at Royal Albert Hall, Wembley Arena, LG Arena (former NEC),but not at the O2 Arena at all! With all the exposure he had at the Olympics it does make sense to go for bigger venues for a prospective tour. Even when he played at Night of the Proms 2006/2007,the size of the venues were around 10K people...

I'd love to see Mike touring again,but something that he feels confortable to do and cope with without major stresses ;)

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2012, 19:00

By the way,the 6 Music interview is here to listen again:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00wx4nx

As for guest vocalists,I'd love to see him working with Steven Wilson(Porcupine Tree/Blackfield/No-Man/Storm Corrosion) and even Florence Welch. Kate Bush would be interesting too.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
christopher Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2012, 19:13

Let me just say that, atleast, over in the states, guest vocals seems to be the key to getting a track moving.  Almost every song produced has "feat. someone" attached to it.  It doesn't matter how big or small the name of the main act.  

Elton John, for instance, has sung on countless tracks for which he had no input or collaboration on.  

My personal list for Mike to consider would be:

Florence Welch (She has an oldschool Annie Lennox feel)
Matt Bellamy from MUSE
The boys from FUN.
Annie Lennox
For real power MeatLoaf
Elton John would be nice.  I am a huge fan, but not so sure his voice is suited for Mike's style of music.  
Rod Stewart... hmmmmm
David Bowie is just weird enough to be perfect

That's all I can think of right now.

Please would someone record and post the BBC6 interview.  It is not available outside of the UK.  And the MOJO interview.  Thank you.
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Aug. 03 2012, 19:27

Chris and Tati i'm ok with Bowie , Bush and Lennox !
Profile PM 
Reena Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2012, 01:15

Great suggestions so far. Nickelback's Chad Kroeger might be another. And why not David Gilmour? And he may not have had the same succes with Marillion as Fish did, but I think Steve Hogarth has an excellent voice for rocksongs...

Are we getting somewhere, Mike?  ;)
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2012, 02:17

Glad I got on here tonight! I was completely unaware of MO being on the Olympic ceremony till tonight. Next step is to find it and view it! News of a new "rock" album is fantastic. News of names like Elton John helping out is not good. I like Simon Phillips vocals(and drums) back in the day. Something like that I would prefer. The sound Ray Wilson gave to Genesis was great in 1997 and I saw him in a 2011 vid singing "Mama". He seems to still be active and would be a great choice given his history, hefty vocals and experience. I'll be watching MO with keener interest now after all this good news. Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2012, 02:21

PS: In one of the articles provided by toobnet Mike says:

With Pink Floyd’s The Division Bell album a distant second? “Oh, way second!” he chuckles. “I’d never even dream of that! No, they’re moon, aren’t they?”

What did he mean by "moon"?

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 04 2012, 02:29

The Dark Side of the Moon I would expect...Is what their best known for...With Mike its the Bells...

Please NO not Elton...Was I the only one to see his dismal gig at the Jubilee ...Time for someone to pull his stool out and say No More  :laugh:
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2012, 03:50

I went and watched more Ray Wilson vids from 2011 and am convinced he would be the best possible choice to do an album of -Rock music with no damn computers, just real musicians and vocalists-.......A nice pair!(Pink Floyd tie-in). I did find some vids of the olympic MO appearance. Mostly it was of the NHS kids but the sporadic shots of Mike....he still looks good. His guitar playing was great and it was good to see him dressed nicely on a stage with a guitar again! He looks better at 59 than I did at 40(I'll be 51 on Sunday). So much would I like to hear these two together(and if there was a tour, Ray would be an immense presence) that I put forth an Email on Ray's site to his booking people. I guess if there is interest, the machinery that exists to get two noted musicians together will churn. If not....we will be at the mercy of Mike's good humor. Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2012, 04:05

PS: damn I'm good at ps's arent I? Yes I am. Yeah I saw the Jubilee thing. Elton and McCartney were standing behind the queen. God, EJ looked older than Paul and very "gone". If this over the hill piano man appears on MO's album.....God save us all. He would only be there for star value. Wilson is a huge star in the UK and so perfectly suited for this job. I did not know he was 8 years younger than me, born 1968(Ray, not me). Imagine a tour, he would look great up there with Mike, even has a similar hippy look to Mike's Ommadawn days. Well, I'm just an old man burnt out on Mike's previous output.....wishing for a sound only I can hear. Ray Wilson is part of that sound. Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2012, 04:50

Quote (Reena @ Aug. 03 2012, 17:48)
So Mike himself is dreaming of voices like Rod Stewart and Elton John...
Maybe there are some other suggestions we can give him...
Mike: I'd love to hear Sharon den Adel (Within Temptation) to sing an Oldfield-rocksong !!!

Hell Yeah !! :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 04 2012, 05:07

Not Meatloaf either..He "Preformed" at the Melbourne Football Grand Final last year...

About 2:30 in should convince...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZdiaFXW2U8

I do however like the earlier Annie Lennox suggestion.....One who's great working with composers and has enough of a name...

Probably not too pricey either

Also wouldn't a Gilmour/Oldfield collaboration be interesting....

Would love to hear Gilmour do a version of Guilty at a "On an Island" (Very underrated voice imo) tempo...Mike could take a crack at a version of PF's Echoes...Nice  :cool:
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Aug. 04 2012, 05:35

Gilmour and Oldfield I've thought of. It would be too much of a competition. Gilmour would win and Oldfield would look like a supporting actor. Sorry, but Gilmour's fan base makes Oldfield's miniscule by comparison mostly because PF toured the USA extensively and Mike did not. I think MO played New York once but in the day, I looked....he never played in America other than that. Had he come, I would have been there. PF and MO were in different ballparks although they were both prog. I would like to see a union where Mike is "the show". Not someone else overshadowing him, especially since his days of diminished public appearance began long ago. Even MOTS saw him in a small role publicly. Gilmour....especially if he sang, would be a bad idea. It would become a Gilmour album.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
150 replies since July 31 2012, 12:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (8) < 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net