Pages: (8) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike drops more rock album hints in Mojo< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 31 2012, 19:09

Quote (AlexS @ July 31 2012, 22:53)
In other words, not song-based...

He's not yet revealed the exact form that it'll take...but he's got some songs in mind for it...
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 31 2012, 19:10

;) ..in the article he said " ..let's throw away computers softwares .."  , that's remember to me that i have read another old article ( don't remember which article , i think it was about majors ) where he said that these times any musicians could make money without making concerts ; so maybe we could have some concerts !
Profile PM 
gths Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 23:22

It's kind of weird how it's turned full cycle, now because it's so easy to get recorded music, people are sort of going back to the live experience as what's most special about music.

But hahaha I love how he just changes his mind about things so often. "Bored with this country! I'm moving again!" "I love making music with computers! No I hate them! Hang on, I've changed my mind again".

While it has resulted in some stuff that isn't so good, and the number of times he has rehashed TB has resulted in some criticism, at the same time his getting bored with things quickly has led to a very versatile and long-lived career as he looks for new things to tick off his bucket list. "Haven't done a rock album yet! Better do that I suppose."

He does his most interesting work when he's either trying to prove a point (as with Amarok or Ommadawn) or stretching into something new. Heaven's Open gets knocked a bit, but it's his most idiosyncratic "song" album since he seemed to want to get a few things off his chest. On the other hand, Guitars was an interesting premise, but it turned out a bit blah.

If he goes back to that 4-5 song + long instrumental formula on this new one, (something along the lines of Platinum or FMO) just with a rock emphasis, I'd be down with that.

Whether he decides to tour to support it, well, he's on record that he gets bored with touring pretty quickly and besides why would he go through that hassle when he can just hang out on his boat and count his money, heheh. It seems to take a big or remarkable event to draw him out these days.
Profile PM 
lukaszswietek Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2012, 15:52

I think that it will be a progressive music - he can't compose a simple music. There is always that 1st track as Taurus that gives lot of satisfy for fans :)
Btw, I downloaded samples from TB and created from it a backing  track. http://www.filehosting.org/file/details/363716/TB-backingtrackMP3.mp3 <--- download link.
Profile PM 
Legend Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2012, 16:01

I´d much love to have something new like Taurus 1 - 2 or 3, maybe Taurus 4? No... by the way...I don´t know if Taurus 1 and 2 are "rock" or celtic, folk - to me it´s Classic Oldfield.

Whatever we get - this is really great news, nice to share my thoughts in this lovely forum!

Happy....indeed!
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2012, 16:11

I don't see Oldfield doing anything firmly footed in any single genre if he's truly returning to his roots. Pieces like Taurus II are a mix of stuff like rock, progressive, Celtic, folk, and even dance. That's one of the things that is so interesting about his music, how he can draw influences from so many different styles of music while still remaining original.
Profile PM WEB 
fragile Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2012, 17:29

What about that:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_hzx2H-_NU

Mike mentioned this album in an interview after the release of five miles out. He praised that album as one of the best new releases at that time (no New Wave etc)...  :D

In my opinion Mike could to something very interesting with his new concept. I personally like he harder style on all of his compositions/guitar work. I am very happy that he gave up classical movie score music or esoteric ambient music. Both styles are not really his element. With hard e-guitars overdubs he is on the right way...
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2012, 02:31

For a fare few years, since 2007, I thought Mike was done, retired, moving on to relax in the sun.  I'm SOOO HAPPY I was wrong!!

First, a double release of older material with bonus concerts :)

Then, he surprised us at the Olympics!! :)  Though it was Tubular Bells, yet again, it was in a completely new form... imho, the most impressive and fun version of the Tubular Bells opening/FATC, ever created... even surpassing his own originals!  

Now, he has answered my psychic messages I've been sending out to every musician in the land, KILL THE COMPUTER!

I've heard that in Nashville and LA there are analog studios popping up again.  I haven't verified this, but I hope the papers are accurate.  

Even though I own Logic and a MAC, I've gone back to recording on R2R.  This means I've got to have everything down and memorized and practiced to perfection.  That is how music is supposed to be played!  As a composer, when electronic music was new, I was for it.  But, shortly after my love started, it ended.  The music industry has made me hate them over time... squeezing the life and soul out of music through computers and the loudness war!  Taking talented artists, like FUN. and turning them from an original and fun band into some processed and overly produced non-sense with Some Nights.  My hope is that Mike will keep control over the final mix and not let some rookie student engineer at CSUN in LA turn up everything till the peaks are equal!!!

2012/13 is shaping up to be a GREAT year for Mike Oldfield and his fans!!!!  SUPER HAPPY!!!! :)
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2012, 04:55

I really don't mind what Mike does. Hard rock, soft rock, heavy metal, short songs, long songs, long form compositions, whatever. As long as it's new and Oldfieldian (how can it not be?), it'll be good.

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
CJJC Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2012, 05:47

The Oldfield idea of hard rock seems to be Shadow on the Wall, Outcast and Five Miles Out anyway, so I doubt it will be too alienating to the core audience.

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2012, 05:50

Quote (Legend @ Aug. 01 2012, 22:01)
I´d much love to have something new like Taurus 1 - 2 or 3, maybe Taurus 4? No... by the way...I don´t know if Taurus 1 and 2 are "rock" or celtic, folk - to me it´s Classic Oldfield.

Whatever we get - this is really great news, nice to share my thoughts in this lovely forum!

Happy....indeed!

:)  :O oohh yeahh something like Taurus II !!!
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2012, 05:55

Quote (christopher @ Aug. 02 2012, 08:31)
For a fare few years, since 2007, I thought Mike was done, retired, moving on to relax in the sun.  I'm SOOO HAPPY I was wrong!!

First, a double release of older material with bonus concerts :)

Then, he surprised us at the Olympics!! :)  Though it was Tubular Bells, yet again, it was in a completely new form... imho, the most impressive and fun version of the Tubular Bells opening/FATC, ever created... even surpassing his own originals!  

Now, he has answered my psychic messages I've been sending out to every musician in the land, KILL THE COMPUTER!

I've heard that in Nashville and LA there are analog studios popping up again.  I haven't verified this, but I hope the papers are accurate.  

Even though I own Logic and a MAC, I've gone back to recording on R2R.  This means I've got to have everything down and memorized and practiced to perfection.  That is how music is supposed to be played!  As a composer, when electronic music was new, I was for it.  But, shortly after my love started, it ended.  The music industry has made me hate them over time... squeezing the life and soul out of music through computers and the loudness war!  Taking talented artists, like FUN. and turning them from an original and fun band into some processed and overly produced non-sense with Some Nights.  My hope is that Mike will keep control over the final mix and not let some rookie student engineer at CSUN in LA turn up everything till the peaks are equal!!!

2012/13 is shaping up to be a GREAT year for Mike Oldfield and his fans!!!!  SUPER HAPPY!!!! :)

;)  :/ That's good for the one who can play really ...real instruments ! am sorry but for me a computer is an instrument too ! with it i can play all the instruments i can't ..really play !

... i think Mike said that about computers just for speaking about ..." boum boum boum" techno music ! .. again we can do nice music with computers with a great feeling like if you were playing a real instrument .
Profile PM 
CJJC Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2012, 06:19

In one of the music industry insider mags I read years ago, more than fifteen, he said that his objection was only to hearing "the computer performing" - like if you put in a chord sequence, it will use algorhythms to whack together an arrangement in real time - something that I don't think happens as frequently as Mike thinks it does, but anyway, hearing things played back that someone has used a computer to painstakingly sequence is not a thing that seems to bother him.

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2012, 06:32

The problem is not on musicians who use the computer to create great music...but the crappy ones that are dominating the world!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 02 2012, 06:36

Quote (CJJC @ Aug. 02 2012, 21:47)
The Oldfield idea of hard rock seems to be Shadow on the Wall, Outcast and Five Miles Out anyway, so I doubt it will be too alienating to the core audience.

What's exciting is the fact he said he hasn't done Hard Rock..So maybe it will be heaver still..
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2012, 08:47

What make me curious about a new album is this, if Mike can still play fast guitar solos (like those in QE2, FMO or Amarok), because his latest albums doesn't have much speedy playing (especially the last album). I'am not exciting with fast guitar playing in the music (overall), but i miss it in Mike's music, because of his unique playing techniques.
Profile PM 
CJJC Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2012, 09:08

The quick pull-off runs in QE2 are among my favourite things ever recorded.

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2012, 09:53

Quote (Tati The Sentinel @ Aug. 02 2012, 11:32)
The problem is not on musicians who use the computer to create great music...but the crappy ones that are dominating the world!

+1
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2012, 10:02

Quote (Korgscrew @ Aug. 01 2012, 00:09)
Quote (AlexS @ July 31 2012, 22:53)
In other words, not song-based...

He's not yet revealed the exact form that it'll take...but he's got some songs in mind for it...

Songs ! I was hopping for a nice 25 minute epic followed by another 25 minute epic. Lets hope its not another Guitars album .

But that said anything new is welcome .
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2012, 12:09

I hope he gets a co-producer. That's what he needs. Somone to tell him things like "No, that does not sound like a real bass guitar!".

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
150 replies since July 31 2012, 12:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (8) < 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net