Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (8) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Mike drops more rock album hints in Mojo< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 31 2012, 12:14

The September issue of Mojo Magazine (available now) includes a 1-page interview with Mike, which contains some more details about the album he's currently working on:

"I'm fed up with all these computers and samplers, the next album's going to be hard rock, lots of guitars, real drums, real vocals, Hammond organs."

Thanks, Blackabyss
Profile PM 
CJJC Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 31 2012, 12:16

YES!

YES!

Some other people on an album! When he stopped even using humans for the singing, I thought there was no going back.

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
ian Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 12:19

Quote (Korgscrew @ July 31 2012, 12:14)
The September issue of [URL=http://cover.mojo4music.com/Item.aspx?

"I'm fed up with all these computers and samplers, the next album's going to be hard rock, lots of guitars, real drums, real vocals, Hammond organs."

Thanks, Blackabyss

I can't keep up with him. He seems to love computers one minute and hate them the next. I wish he were more consistent. Will we ever see another album like Ommadawn, Hergest or Amarok ?
Profile PM WEB 
captain cavern Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 12:26

Yeah ! Hard rock and guitars...  :)
Profile PM 
Philippe Tavares Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 12:26

:/  i hope he's only fed up with computers and samplers for this album ! one can do very nice things wih samplers and computers and Mike has proved that !!!

.. but well i'm happy to listen to something new from him , finally !!
Profile PM 
Blackabyss Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 12:27

He also picks some favourite tunes, Oldfield's Oldies :-

1. Cream - White Room
2. Pink Floyd - Careful With That Axe Eugene
3. Bob Dylan - Dignity
4. The Halle Orchestra - Sibelius's symphony No 5
5. Centipede - Septober Energy

More clues to the new albums direction? A short interview but really interesting :)
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 12:48

Wow! It's a very interesting year for Mike's fans with no doubt, because a lot of re-released stuff, performance on the Olympic opening ceremony and now... not only a new album annonuced, but a back-to-his-roots album announced, wchich will be recorded mostly on real instruments, without or with a very little use of electronics. This leads me to....noooo, is it just me, or does anybody else has.... the Amarok on his mind? :)
Profile PM 
MrTortoise Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 13:19

This is where the often rumored Telecaster idea fits in. Fender Telecaster is the ultimate rock guitar.
Profile PM WEB 
Thomas Höög Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 13:37

Oh My god that sounds interesting  :O

Now all i want to know when in the future this is planned to be released.
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 13:44

This is great news. I was really hoping his work on his older albums would rekindle his desire to work with proper live instrumentation again. Be interesting to hear what his song writing is like these days, he hasn't done it for a long while, and what he has to say with it. There was talk of him working with a professional lyric writer a while back wasn't there? So it could be good. Though I hope he goes back to the format of Crises/Discover and at least include one or two new instrumentals. Again using live instruments.

A large part of me kind of hopes he keeps the samplers and sequencers switched off for good. He's relied on them too heavily for too long.
Anyway I hope this album comes out quite soon to ride on the success of all the attention the Olympics is bringing him.

He's not out of retirement yet it seems....
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 13:44

It just can't be the end of the world in this year! :)
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 13:54

All too fantastic for words. Just. Brilliant.
I really thought MoTS might be the end of the road. Apparently not - time to go into fangirl squee mode  ;)

Huzzah to Mike!  :D

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 14:00

Quote (Korgscrew @ July 31 2012, 12:14)
The September issue of Mojo Magazine

I think I must have died and gone to heaven!

oh now I really can't wait...hope he enjoys making it :)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 14:29

My jaw fell down with this awesome and absolutely fabulous piece of news!!! After all those years that he's more into Michael Gordon Oldfield mode on,seems that Mike Oldfield's back again!

Now it's the time to Mike shows the guitarist he is in his essence,with a heavier feel. Can't wait to headbang a bit with MO's new album \m/

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
Reena Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 14:33

On Crises and Discovery he already went the direction he now refers to I think (and hope, for that matter)... With Shadow on the Wall and the track Discovery ( and maybe Poison Arrows as well, come to think of it... ) he did some songs of which he said in an interview back in those days: "I've always liked what people now call heavy metal... In our days we simply used to call it rock... ". I might be wrong on the exact words, but I think I am close to them...  ;)

To be short : COME ON, MIKE !!! LET'S ROCK !!!!   :cool:
Profile PM 
ian Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 15:03

I can't get excited about a "Rock" album. His music has been unique. I don't want to hear a mainstream genre. Guitars was this kind of thing which I didn't appreciate.

Prog Rock, now I would be more interested.
Profile PM WEB 
Sentinel101 Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 15:06

Gasp ... !!! Just when you thought that he finally found his place on the chillout ground he suddenly changes direction again with this statement. This man is absolutely mad but in the most genius way. Maybe something like QE2, FMO or Discovery with some longer instrumentals and some headbanger songs.

Mike, you are my personal Olympic hero winning every gold metal for the Music Style Decathlon.
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 15:07

Even when Mike goes a bit "mainstream",it's not mainstream compared to other peers on the genre.Porcupine Tree is quite heavy and it's still progressive rock.Let's wait and see what Mike's getting ready to be later released!

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 15:25

Awesome news.

I really wonder if Mike has seen our performance of Amarok. I wouldn't presume to take credit, but I'd love to think that it inspired him in some way to get more active again musically.
Profile PM WEB 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: July 31 2012, 15:31

Following the Sky News interview at the time of MOTS release when he first half-jokingly mentioned he might do a heavy metal album next I've been wishing with all my heart this would become a reality !! ... And now its confirmed !!! .... I'm Estatic !!!!!   :)

I hope its mainly instrumental with one or two great songs and not fashioned as TB IV .... which is probably unlikely being the 40th anniversary next year .

Its bringing back wonderful memories of the early eighties concerts ( Mike's rock period ) which I've enjoyed the most of all the many MO concerts I've attended ..... esp. Mike's fantastic guitar work and the wonderful musicians he had in his band.

BRING IT ON !!!!!!!  :D
Profile PM 
150 replies since July 31 2012, 12:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (8) < [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net